VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My LVW-5005 that's 3 to 4 years old recently stopped recording when timer is set to record. Manual recording and OTR recording in 30 minute increments still works fine which seems to me would indicate some failure in the recorder other than the burner, and I doubt burner replacement would fix this kind of problem. I searched LiteOn Recorder forum at http://club.cdfreaks.com/f102/, and the only threads on this subject that were found had no fix for such problems and only recommended RMA. Is this recorder dead now, or does anybody know possible fix for failed timer recordings?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No known fixes other than replacing the mobo with a new one. That seems to be the general fix for problems with these units. The stuck on 'hello' problem is another. Probably a failed component, but which one? No service techs or info from Liteon have ever addressed these problems. Once these problems start to crop up you should start looking for a replacement. Did you check the ILO/Liteon forum at Afterdawn as well?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since it's a timer/timing issue, it *could* be the "DST Bug" ("Y2K7 Problem").

Reset the unit, then set clock manually (no auto-clock) and turn DST off. (Some units call DST "Summer Time.")
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure...do these units have a battery for the clock/backup or else a big capacitor? They could have failed or the cap could have dried out. That would be sure to cause failures. I think the caps bulging/drying out was addressed at Afterdawn. Hope you're handy with a soldering iron.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My unit has neither auto clock nor DST option, at least not that I can find. However, resetting the unit by selecting "Restore" in "Setup" seems to have fixed the problem, and it's recording a timer recording I setup right now. Thanks wabjxo for the tip.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great. If it continues to work OK until the next DST change in November, then you have a problem, do another Restore!
    Quote Quote  
  7. The 5005 has a a battery that maintains the correct time if the unit is unplugged
    All liteon /ilo etc. have one and they can be replaced.

Does the unit maintain the correct time when unplugged? If not the battery has failed. If the clock is operating but the battery is defective, it can leads to an improper or no recording on timer.
    It could verry well be the battery itself

http://www.techolio.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3450

Edit
    Its Not a reset ,dst, or Y2k issue. A reset might sometimes seemto correct the issue but the proplem will reservice
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've had "FAIL" show up in the timer list for the following reasons:

1- If the time/date on the timer passes, but you did not have the power off...this needs to be done for the unit to record with a timer.

2- If there was not enough space on the disc in the drive

3- If my satellite receiver turned off and sent a null signal to the recorder (even seconds) before the timer was finished...in these cases, I was editing the ends off anyway, and the entire program was still there, even though a "FAIL" was noted.

Other times, if I have set the timer with a nearly full disc in the drive, I couldn't even get the timer list to say "READY", until the unit was sure that all timers would fit on the current disc, other times it was not a problem. (Go figure!)

Other than that, I think that these 5005's are just a little crazy, but I am NEVER getting rid of mine!!! It's an unstoppable tank!!! (with new drive)

eric
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hardly ever unplug mine and really don't know if time remains correct when that's done. Maybe I should unplug and try this to see if it does.

Mine didn't have a "FAIL" show up in the timer list. It simply failed to start recording at the programmed time. I know unit must be turned off which it was when failures occurred, and the disc was a completely erased DVD+RW while recorder was set to record for 1 hour.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Bevills1

I had addressed the battery issue and it would be a good idea to unplug it and check it.

If the battery is defective it could cause an error even if not unpluged

The use of +RW disks raises another issue.
    A number of them have been trashed as coasters when they are not.

Worse yet they are accepted by the unit and will indicate a recording is being preformed,
    WHEN IT IS NOT

Use a good burning tool like Nero [I use 6}] Do a full erase of the disk if accepted If not try again, if after a 3rd time the disk could be considered a coaster.
    Do Not let Nero Format the Disk or perform any format
    Place the disk in the unit It should read the disk as a [Blank Disk] and prepare [format] it
    The disk should operate and record

Repeated attempts to correct a problem using the unit can lead to a failure of the disk

Do not erase segments of the disk, Do only a complete erase of the disk in tools.
    Repeated partial erasure of a disk can lead to problems as the disk is not fully erased and a write over occurs.

If the disks are operated so, the full disk erase in tools should operate without a further need for Nero’s use. BUT if a problem occurs Stop, use a good burner and do a full erase

PS
    I have used Verbatim +RW disks for almost 4 year’s in my liteon 5045,5005 etc. and
    Ilo RHD04, R04 units. I have not had any problems since doing the above

My estimates of the time available on a +R disk
    +RW ---New ----- SP ----- 2hr 2min to 2hr 4min
    +RW --- Used ---- SP ----- 1hr 59min to 2hr 2min

Edit
    The above is for the 5045 and RHD04 but the issues pertain to the 5005
    The +RW disk operatoin is the the same
    The 5005 will erase the complete disk but is not a full erase. It would be a good idea to FULL erase the disk from time to time as above to avoid any of the issues
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using Ridata +RW DVDs and have had no problems thus far, i.e. until yesterday when a curious thing happened. Before I did the reset to fix the timer recording problem, I tried doing a full erase using Nero 6 in case the recording problem could have been a disc problem. After full erase and placing in the 5005, it gave "invalid disc" and "change disc" messages, but I tried "erase disc" in the 5005 instead that showed disc being erased until 100% complete after which it accepted this same disc even though the disc shouldn't need erasing since it had just been fully erased by Nero.

Computer software and/or hardware can seemingly be fickle at times. I recall I once had a problem entering some data where I worked and went to a coworker for assistance. I watched her do the exact same steps I did to enter data, and it worked on the first try for her even though it had refused my several attempts to perform the exact same task.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Fickle to say the least, Weird is also a term to use
    I had to discard some RW disks some time back when I was having problems.
    During that time I was using an ilo RHD04 and a R04. They are much the same as the 5005 but not allwrite
    I have a burner called Cheetah that has a fast erase. I used it on some disks that would not full erase with Nero but than would after using Cheetah.

What you describe could well be formatting the disk and than installing it in the 5005. Not always but at times that invalid or change disk will come up if the disk is formatted prior. Most often the erase in the 5005 will correct the problem but not always and than back to Nero.
    Make sure the disk is not formatted before placing in the 5005

Your Quote
    “I watched her do the exact same steps I did to enter data, and it worked on the first try for her even though it had refused my several attempts to perform the exact same task.”

Don’t you hate that . If you say anything, you can see the other person is thinking – Ye’a Right.

PS
    I have used Ridata and Maxell RW disks and they work well, same as the Verbatim
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm using Nexxtech +RW's (Philips 041)...love them!

I've been trying to find out how many times I can use them, when/if to full/quick erase, etc. to get the most life out of them...is there a thread in this forum where this has been discussed? If not, should we start one? I'd love to hear people's results in this department, and the list of DVD Media is not really specific on things like disc care/maintenance.

I know this is a bit off of this topic, but since it was brought up...

Eric
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In the instance described in my last post the disc was erased using Nero full erase and not formatted. Probably just another example of being fickle/weird I suppose.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oldfart13, have you tried the LiteOn reset procedure for the stuck on "Hello" problem? I saw it on another forum, and it is:

Liteon Recorder Reset Procedure

hold down power button
    remove power cord from the back of the unit
    replace power cord
    release button
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, that doesn't work. That's for "FAIL" which I usually get only once in a blue moon anyway. I just usually unplug the unit for 10 seconds and then plug it back it. That will reset the recorder. "HELLO" is a bad mobo component. These machines weren't made with the best components, so they fail to operate frequently.
    Quote Quote