VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I checked on my computer today, after a couple of days of putting it in Sleep Mode, I checked it and found that the light wasn;t on, even though the computer itslef was on.

I then held onto the "On" button until it shut off, and managed to get a blut light, but when I checked the monitor, it just said "No Signal."

It's an HP Media Center PC, with AMD 64 Live, NV Media, and Windows Vista, with an ACER monitor.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you power off and then back on does the computer make the normal boot up sounds. fans go on, a beep, hard drives spin up?
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. There could be a number of reasons for this. The monitor cable might be loose. It might have a short. The resolution might be too high, and the monitor.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try booting into safe mode, usually the F8 key, or refer to your manual. If you get a screen, go to your graphics card settings and reset them if available. Then reboot.

I've had that happen a few times when the computer puts itself into sleep mode. Usually just booting again fixes it. I'm not sure if it's a prower settings error or the video card settings or the OS. Mine would fix itself when rebooted a couple of times, worst case. I quit using sleep mode on that computer.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if you power off and then back on does the computer make the normal boot up sounds. fans go on, a beep, hard drives spin up?
    Yes, pretty much everything else is in order.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you're pretty sure the monitor and cable are ok and you don't even get the bios screens during bootup, then it sounds like it is probably the video card that died.

try removing it and using a different one if you have an old spare one or can borrow one.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote