VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have used DVDXcopy for many years. Now I guess it is time to upgrade software. What is the best backup software for ease of use, compression quality, etc?
    Thanks for any info.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I've used both AnyDVD/CloneDVD and DVDFab products.

Personally, I'd go with AnyDVD/CloneDVD because, overall, I think that they are the better choice for making DVD backups.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use DVDFAB HD DECRYPTER to make a 1/1 copy and then use DVDSHRINK.

No problems untill now.
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have both software packages. DVDFAB will not rip from DVD-RW discs - CloneDVD +ANYDVD works for everything. I have two DVD burners: Pioneer & Plextor. Called them about it, but, a BS answer was all I got. Just be careful with DVD -RW discs-no problem with DVD-R however.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now that SlySoft has broken BluRay BD+ encryption, I'd say the upper hand now goes to AnyDVD.
    AnyDVD will decrypt virtually everything right now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Like others, I use both CloneDVD 2/AnyDVD HD and DVDFab Platinum as well as 1clickdvdcopypro/DVD43 and have also used several of the free programs, all with success. The choice between CloneDVD 2/AnyDVD HD and DVDFab Platinum basically comes down to what your particular needs are. If all you want to do is rip and burn from standard dvds, then DVDFab Platinum should do everything you want for less money. If (as has been pointed out in previous posts) you need Blue-Ray support now and/or occasionally need to rip from RW discs, then CloneDVD 2/AnyDVD HD is what you should go with. There is a price difference, and DVDFab Platinum will certainly encompass full Blue-Ray capability soon. Why not download their free trail software and try both ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the feedback. I have just used AnyDVD/CloneDVD for the first time. I found them to be very professionally designed products with very intuitive user interface, and worked flawlessly. Although both programs together are a bit more expensive than DVDfab Plat, one advantage I see is that AnyDVD allows you to copy on-the-fly without necessarily ripping first to your HD (provided everything will fit on your destination media).
    Is this correct? This advantage alone should more than justify the extra expense. Thanks in advance for any additional information/advice.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by pepegot1
    DVDFab will not rip from DVD-RW discs - Just be careful with DVD -RW discs-no problem with DVD-R however.
    Is it all RW media, + and -? Or is it just -RW? I've been using DVD Fab with RW (never paid attention to see if it's + or -) media for quite some time now. I burn from my dvr to my dvd writer using RW media, then use dvd fab to import to computer, then use dvd shrink to remove commericals, then imgburn to burn to dvd-r. Then I erase the RW disc and start over with another show.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    vrex:
    You are correct; the CloneDVD 2/AnyDVD HD combination will allow for on-the-fly transfers. On older DVDs, I have successfully used the freeware application DVD43 in place of AnyDVD HD.

mrswla:
    My experience using DVDFab Platinum with +RW and/or -RW discs has been unsatisfactory, perhaps due to my use of lower quality +/- RW media (Ritek). If you have had ongoing success with rewritable media and DVDFab Platinum, I should invest in some higher quality RWs and take full advantage of that program feature. Specifically, what brands have you used ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just did another test just using AnyDVD together with my usual copying software (MyDVD+); with AnyDVD running in the background, I was able to copy directly to a DVD+R without writing anything to the HDD first. Very slick! Apparently CloneDVD is only necessary if you need to compress or otherwise manipulate the source data prior to burning the final copy.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by wtsinnc
    My experience using DVDFab Platinum with +RW and/or -RW discs has been unsatisfactory, perhaps due to my use of lower quality +/- RW media (Ritek). If you have had ongoing success with rewritable media and DVDFab Platinum, I should invest in some higher quality RWs and take full advantage of that program feature. Specifically, what brands have you used ?
    I wouldn't say that the RW media I use is high quality. I actually got them free from shop4tech.com when I bought blank dvd-r media. According to Imgburn the manufacturer id is OPTODISCW002. Doubt that this is all that great of quality, especially if they were giving them away for free, but they work just fine. I also have used Verbatim RW media without problems.

A side note: I don't use DVDFab Platinum, just use DVDFab HD Decrypter (Freeware version). Don't know if that makes a difference or not.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Though I am impressed with AnyDVD, it appears that DVDfab Platinum has some additional functionality, such as the ability to split a Movie onto two single layer discs without loss of quality, and DVD to Mobile, this last ability requires an additional purchase from Slysoft. Am I missing anything? Is there anything important that one of these options has and the other does not? Any further comments appreciated? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Vrex
    Though I am impressed with AnyDVD, it appears that DVDfab Platinum has some additional functionality, such as the ability to split a Movie onto two single layer discs without loss of quality
    You can do this with CloneDVD if you use the cut the disc in half according to chapter markers with the scissors. AnyDVD, itself, cannot. Remember that AnyDVD is simply a decrypter and it does its job amazingly. It handles everything for normal DVDs, HD-DVDs and BluRay discs. Once you've decrypted the discs and put them on your hard drive you can use any software you like to do further work.

People have to make decisions based upon what they intend to use the software for. I've never been let down by the Slysoft software and I get free updates forever. That's definitely a nice thing.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I guess we can gather from all these posts, both programs are awesome.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Free lifetime upgrades and support are included in the price for Slysoft products and DVDFab products. I will say that DVDFab support was not very helpful in trying to resolve my issue with Fab's inability to utilize +/- RW media as stated in a previous post in this thread.

For the record, my problem with DVDFab and DVD RW media has apparently been resolved with a full uninstall/reinstall of the application to version 4.1.0.2 . Somewhere along the way (perhaps with the original version purchased 19 months ago), the ability to use rewriteable media had been compromised. Following the reinstall, tests using -RW and+RW media as source and/or target have been successful.

Even with this, my feeling is that AnyDVD HD is currently the better choice due to it's being HD capable now and usually being the first to solve new copy protection schemes. As you have already found out, AnyDVD HD can be used with applications other than CloneDVD 2, so it serves to enhance software you already use.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by mrswla
    I guess we can gather from all these posts, both programs are awesome.
    I'll second that.
    Quote Quote  
  17. To the OP, I don't think you need CloneDVD if you're looking to save a little cash. AnyDVD can be used with DVD Decrypter (free) to rip, shrink or split to 2 discs without quality loss with DVD Shrink (free) and burn with ImgBurn (free). I would imagine that you already have ImgBurn, DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink as they should be in everyones toolbox.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to everyone for their feedback. I decided to go with AnyDVD due to the greater versatility of using it with different software, and to take advantage of Slysoft's easter promotion. If you enter promo code "FAIRUSE" you get 25% off.
    Quote Quote