VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm wanting to play a DVD I purchased in Germany on my TV's DVD player but it doesn't "see" it as a recognized format. It plays fine on my computer's player. Is there any way to copy it so it's encoded with a recognizable format for my Tv's built in DVD player. It's a Magnavox brand and otherwise plays other stuff fine.

Help is greatly appreciated. I'm a novice but mentor other lessor novices

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe because of region coding. Have you tried made the dvd player region free? Check for region code hacks under Hacks here to the left or google it.

Your dvd player might not support PAL DVDs also, then you could convert it to NTSC using ConvertXtoDVD.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your reply.

I'd heard of regional coding but thought at time it'd be a download of a codec or something. Since then I've read that one can make computer dvd players region free, but wasn't sure how that would apply to my TVs built-in player.

I'll look under hacks and try the convertxtodvd right away. +++
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your help. Still having difficulties so here's my test using a dvd sent to my mom to watch from Germany (German Version of Out of Africa.

I place the DVD in the computer's player. I open ConvertXtoDVD3, select "file", then select "add video file".

I then point program to the DVD player. Two files are shown. Audio Ts and Video TS. I open VideoTs and select the whole list.

When I select "convert" I get a message stating one or more files can't be converted: e:\video_ts\vts_03_0.ifo"ignored.unknown file format.

Please help my mom's 80 and it'd be nice to let her see some of these movies in German.[/img]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You are likely having two issues with your disc. First, as you already know, it is the wrong region. Second, Germany uses the PAL video format.

As to your ConvertXtoDVD issue, you can't point it directly to the DVD. Most DVD's have copy protection which conversion software can't handle. Try an app such as DVDFabDecrypter, RIP the original DVD to your HDD, then point ConvertXtoDVD to the files on your HDD.

On a side note, according to the specs, the only release with German audio/subtitles is the Australian R4 release. Which is also PAL, just curious which version you actually have?
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And my education begins ... two parts to this problem:
    1) first rip to hardrive using DVDFabDecrypter
    2)convert it to a format compatible for my TV's player using ConvertXtoDVD

The movie is now 30 miles away so at moment can't tell if it is the Aussie version or not... will let you know ...

Great site!
    Quote Quote