VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an avi file [XviD] and an srt file and want to author a DVD with selectable subs. I do this often, with ffmpegX and it always works. Now it won't. But I don't know if it's something I can fix (hopefully) or if the avi file is corrupted. Here's what the info window says:

Encoding started on Tue Mar 18 01:31:49 CET 2008
    FFmpeg version CVS, Copyright (c) 2000-2004 Fabrice Bellard
    Mac OSX universal build for ffmpegX
    libavutil version: 49.0.0
    libavcodec version: 51.9.0
    libavformat version: 50.4.0
    Input #0, avi, from '/Users/levinaxxxxxxx/Movies/&>The Jane Austen Book Club/the.jane.austen.book.club.avi':
    Duration: 01:45:36.2, start: 0.000000, bitrate: 922 kb/s
    Stream #0.0, 23.98 fps(r): Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 592x320
    Stream #0.1: Audio: mp3, 48000 Hz, stereo, 32 kb/s
    Output #0, dvd, to '/Users/levinaxxxxxxxx/Movies/&>The Jane Austen Book Club/the.jane.austen.book.club.avi.ff.mpg':
    Stream #0.0, 23.98 fps(c): Video: mpeg2video, yuv420p, 720x480, q=2-20, 2994 kb/s
    Stream #0.1: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5:1, 448 kb/s
    Stream mapping:
    Stream #0.0 -> #0.0
    Stream #0.1 -> #0.1
    [dvd @ 0x5597b8]buffer underflow
    bench: utime=3077.384s
    video:1895614kB audio:346463kB global headers:0kB muxing overhead 2.993685%
    /Users/levinaxxxxxxxx/Movies/&%3EThe%20Jane%20Austen%20Book%20Club/the.jane.austen.book.club.avi.ff.mpg.xml:3: parser error : xmlParseEntityRef: no name
    <textsub filename="/Users/levinaxxxxxxxxx/Movies/&>The Jane Austen Book Club/the
    ^
    ERR: Error in parsing XML

To me this is pretty much gibberish but not to some of you wizards here. Can you help?
    Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Possibly the odd "&>" characters in the folder name cause the error.

As the video and audio are already encoded at this stage, you may use the Author tool (in the Tools tab) to continue the process where it halted, after you 'cleaned' the folder name.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hello, these are explications, not answers:

ffmpeg verbose :
    Originally Posted by Levina
    dvd @ 0x5597b8]buffer underflow
    means: too much informations for one encoded frame (*10)
    result (depends on parameters or/and versions): sometimes a too high bitrate, or most of time, too high bitrate for DVD specf (=10 freezes on strict dvd player)

spumux verbose :
    /Users/levinaxxxxxxxx/Movies/&%3EThe%20Jane%20Austen%20Book%20Club/the.jane.austen.book.club.avi.ff.mpg.xml:3: parser error : xmlParseEntityRef: no name
    <textsub filename="/Users/levinaxxxxxxxxx/Movies/&>The Jane Austen Book Club/the
    ^
    ERR: Error in parsing XML
    failure to read "what to do" by spumux. Spumux -the dvd subtitler- need a xml file with all that it need inside and a readable subtitle. If one of these files is not correctly readable for spumux, it fails.
    PS: the error here comes certainly from "exotic" characters (remove every space and else in the path of your file) or from the .srt file (bad encoding, eg: MacRoman instead of Windows-Latin1)

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I removed the 'exotic' characters and was able to author a DVD. However, there is still the 'buffer underflow' (about 20 times now) and when I play it in my Mac's DVD Player it freezes for a split second and then moves on, and a second later it freezes again and so on, all the time. But in VLC it plays flawlessly. I suppose this means that if I burn it and play it on my stand-alone dvd-player it will freeze in the same way.
    Anyway, what is really strange is that I tried authoring another DVD, just as a check. This went all right, no 'buffer underflow' and the likes, but it freezes exactly the same in DVD Player (but plays ok in VLC). Very strange.
    I added an srt file here too. Maybe there is something wrong with the way I have encoded these files. Will look into that.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Levina
    This went all right, no 'buffer underflow' and the likes, but it freezes exactly the same in DVD Player (but plays ok in VLC).
    open tools are very complex (many versions, many parameters, too much differents behaviors). Only the author of the soft can give you the right answer, he knows what he uses (my answer was just an information ).

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, … iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's one other thing to try: Raise Qmin from its present value of 2, to something higher (e.g., 5) and see if that reduces or eliminates your stuttering problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Levina
    when I play it in my Mac's DVD Player it freezes for a split second and then moves on, and a second later it freezes again and so on, all the time. But in VLC it plays flawlessly. I suppose this means that if I burn it and play it on my stand-alone dvd-player it will freeze in the same way.
    The 'stuttering' is an issue unrelated to buffer underflow, and is due to a lack of "3:2 pulldown" on your 23.976 fps video.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Case. Yes, I remembered reading something about that some time ago and tried to author a DVD with the mpeg2enc codec and the 'set 3:2' checked in the Options tab. It solved the stuttering but now the audio is out of sync. And quality of the video is quite a bit less than de avi file. Sigh...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can use the ffmpeg encoded .mpg file, but it's a bit more work.
    First demux the .mpg to .m2v and .ac3. (MPEG Streamclip seems to do this better sometimes than ffmpegX's Demux tool.)
    Then apply a pulldown on the .m2v video file, using the Pull tool in ffmpegX.
    Next, use the Mux tool on the .m2v and new .ac3 with mux as DVD (with authoring if you don't need subs). If you need subs, then follow up by using the Author tool on the newly muxed .mpg and an .srt file.
    Now check the sync by playing the VIDEO_TS folder.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I followed your instructions but alas, audio continues to be out of sync. So I throw in the towel. But as always, thank you for all your help.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just as a follow up Case, I had another avi file in NTSC-film format with the same stuttering and out of sync stuff. I followed your instructions again and this time it worked like a charm. Maybe the other file is corrupted in some way. Anyway, am grateful.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If the sync error is a fixed amount of time throughout the movie, then you can use ffmpegx's muxing tool to compensate. Just dial in the desired offset. To discover the right value, use VLC's sync option. When you've found a good value, write that down. Then enter the *negative* of that number in ffmpegx and remux.

If the sync error drifts at a constant rate, rather than remaining a fixed value, you can use a tool such as Audacity (free) to alter the audio stream's characteristics as needed. Audacity has a "tempo change" tool which will lengthen or shorten the audio track to match. Usually, a combination of techniques (offset + tempo change) will fix most sync errors.

In more difficult cases, the sync error jumps (perhaps due to errors in the source). Audacity is still useful there. You can add blank moments or subtract short segments to match time as necessary.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi tomlee, thanks for thinking with. Ok, this is probably a stupid question, but where exactly can I find VLC's sync option? I've looked, but obviously in the wrong places. Your suggestion about Audacity is great. I installed that a while ago for some audio thingy and then forgot about it, but will try this today or tomorrow. Thanks very much.
    Quote Quote