VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to plug my camera into my computer, but I don't have a firewire card.
    I can't put in a firewire port card in my PCI slot because I don't have a PCI slot free. So, I found this little device.. I don't know what it does:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?sku=A0461337&cs=04&c=us&l=en&dgc...149&lid=644180

Would that work?

I could really use some help, because then my movie production will be delayed!

Thanks,
    Joe Tese
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    no it needs to be plugged into a firewire port from the computer. think of it as an extension cord with 2 outlets.

maybe you can find a combo card with firewire to replace one of your pci cards.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MPTESE
    So, I found this little device.. I don't know what it does.
    I beg your pardon for the giggle that gave me ... was it a garden hose ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yank one of the other cards when you need to cap firewire.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  5. While that would get the video into the computer, it is not the best option. The best possible picture is already on the tape in digital format, that device will cause the camcorder to convert it to analog to output it, then it would get converted back to digital with some inherent loss. A firewire port is the single best option. I'm with EdDV, pull one of the other cards and put the firewire card in to capture, then swap the cards back out. What other cards do you have in there now?
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok thanks guys. That means I'll have to give up my TV tuner, Since I think Video Editing would be more important to me.

Are there any drivers that I need when I buy the firewire card? And if I really wanted to, can I just switch back and forth from my Firewire card to my TV tuner? lol.

Thanks for the replies!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Windows XP / Vista and 2000 should detect and install drivers for firewire cards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if the card that you buy does, it will come with it, but all the ones i have installed were found and setup by the winXP installer without any help from me.

swapping cards is fine it won't hurt anything.

newegg.com has some inexpensive ieee1394 firewire cards. iv'e used this one a couple times because it has a port in the back and a 9 pin header to connect to a front panel port if you have one or want to add one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124034
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote