VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gateway GT5628 tower.
    I'm planning on adding a second Hardrive (Sata) and a second DV burner(IDE).
    What jumper setting does Gateway use for multiple Drives.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there's no jumper settings on a SATA hard drive. for a dvd burner it would depend on what setting your present dvd burner is set to. i'm assuming it's probably set to master then your new second dvd burner can be set to slave. but some models of dvd burners preferably like to be set to master.

it maybe best for you to open up your GATEWAY computer tower and see for yourself what settings your dvd burner is set to. on ide dvd burners you'll have to set the jumper settings on the back of the drive to master/slave/cable select. i don't suggest using the cable select setting. then make sure you use the correct end of the ide cable when hooking up your new dvd burner. in other words if you're gonna set your new drive to the slave jumper setting it should be using the slave connector on the ide cable. FYI it's best to use a 80 wire ide cable for dvd burners since most new models require it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Took a look inside, There is a ribbon caple with the extra slave connection For the DVD Burner.
    So I schould be all set
    Thank,s for your help
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CapeKO
    Took a look inside, There is a ribbon caple with the extra slave connection For the DVD Burner.
    So I schould be all set
    Thank,s for your help
    As I suggested it's best to use a 80 wire ide cable which is inexpensive to purchase. I took a look at the specs for your GATEWAY tower. I suspect your dvd burner is a rebadged LG drive. I did see that the ide cable they use is only a 40 wire one. Buy a new 80 wire ide cable to use for your dvd burners. Newer models of dvd burners require the 80 wire ide cables. The drives will not work correctly using a 40 wire ide cable for newer models of dvd burners.
    Quote Quote