VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, i appologize if i post this in the wrong spot but I have taped something off the tv which is 11.4 gigs... When i go to take out the commercials it only brings it down to about 9.4 gigs... I was just wondering if there was a program out there to make the original file smaller say to 10 gigs or even 9 so that when i take out the commercials i can fit it onto a double layer dvd? Thanks for your help greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A quick and easy way would be to use DVD Shrink. Change the output size under Edit > Preferences. Choose Custom and temporarily change the size to about 8050MB or so. To retain more quality, make sure to Perform Deep Analysis & use Quality Settings (my preference is Maximum Smoothness), but that's just me.

Burn with ImgBurn onto preferably a Verbatim DVD+R DL disc.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    its looking for the imagne file or the disc... The file just a mpg file on my computer havn't been able to shrink it yet because i havnt been able to burn it to a dvd
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Best would probably be to re-encode it. You can use a bitrate calculator to set the output size and bitrate.

Or you could try a program like ReJig, which does similar to DVDShrink, but is made for MPEG files. It can transcode the file to a smaller size. Works well enough if you need just a little reduction. I'm not sure how well it will perform reducing by 1GB. But it's worth a try.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Another freeware option to convert the .mpg to DVD would be to input the .mpg into DVDStyler to create the DVD output files, then "Shrink" it as stated above.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks to both of ya for your help
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So let me see if i understand this... Dvdshink will be able to take out the commericals and make the dvd smaller. Because i have a program called TMPGEoc DVD Author that takes out the commericals but doesn't make it smaller then 9 gigs
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MKoivuFan
    So let me see if i understand this... Dvdshink will be able to take out the commericals and make the dvd smaller. Because i have a program called TMPGEoc DVD Author that takes out the commericals but doesn't make it smaller then 9 gigs
    DVD Shrink's main purpose is to "shrink" DVD compliant files; not really designed to remove commercials. It sort of can, but it is not frame precise and every edit you make would be its own title (non-consecutive/short pauses in between titles). I have not used TMPGenc DVD Author, but it seems a little strange since this is what it says on the authors web page: The Smart Rendering technology of TMPGEnc DVD Author 3 with DivX® Authoring allows you to transcode (shrink) your projects to fit onto single or dual-layer DVD's, or even CD-R and CD-RW's (transcoding to CD for DivX® projects only) Maybe someone familiar with the application can help you make a needed setting to "shrink" it down to dual layer size.

If you have successfully removed the commercials and have authored the mpeg to DVD files, you should then be able to use DVD Shrink or any other transcoder or encoder to bring it down in size. A better alternative to DVD Shrink is DVD Rebuilder in conjunction w/ HC Encoder (included in DVD-RB installation) which will typically give you better results. Try out the free version first. There is also a pro version which has more features.
    -The Mang
    Quote Quote