VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm trying to work with an MPEG-2 file that has AC3 audio - I can get the video to open in TMPGEnc via the MPEG-2 video plugin (m2v.vfp) but I can't get the audio to open - I get the error "File can not open, or unsupported". I have the AC3 ACM installed on my system and I know it works because I can play the video file through Media Player. I've tried bumping up the priority of the "DirectShow Multimedia File Reader" in the VFAPI plug-in list, but that didn't work.

As a workaround, I used VirtualDub-MPEG2 to extract the audio from the MPEG-2 file to a WAV file and then imported the WAV file into TMPGEnc, but when I encode a file, the A/V sync is horribly off (5 seconds or more) and I really don't feel like dealing with that.

Is there any way TMPGEnc can open AC3 audio directly?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe newer versions of the TMPGEnc encoder programs can open AC3, but the ones I've used can't. Why not just demux out the AC3, then add it back with the video after encoding?

BTW, which specific TMPGEnc program are you using? There's quite a few programs with that name.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Use DGIndex to demux. When set up "properly" it will give you a video only file, an audio only file and a D2V project file.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using TMPGEnc Plus 2.5.

The problem with demuxing is that I'm actually going to be extracting smaller video clips out of the big one (it's the Super Bowl, fyi), so that's going to create more problems later I think with lining up the audio and video correctly.

Is there really no way to get TMPGEnc to read AC3? Also, do you guys think I'm using the wrong tool? Is there a better one I should be using?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well for editing I suggest MPEG-VCR or VideoReDo as both can edit MPG files that are MPEG-2 with AC-3 audio. This is done without any re-encoding except at the edit points and that ain't no big deal.

Thus you can do what you want without any re-encoding being done and that is KEY to a project like this although you haven't told us what your final format will be.

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TheEvilHammer
    I am using TMPGEnc Plus 2.5.

Is there really no way to get TMPGEnc to read AC3? Also, do you guys think I'm using the wrong tool? Is there a better one I should be using?
    TMPGenc 2.5 can't read AC3. It's an encoder, not basically an MPEG editor. The best affordable MPEG editor I've seen is TMPGenc Editor 2 ( http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tme20.html). I believe it has built-in AC3. If not, the newer Editor 2-Plus has it and a few more features.

If I have to use TMPGenc to re-encode an MPEG wioth AC3, I use any of several decoders to convert AC3 to PCM or other Windows format, then re-encode to AC3 when I assemble the final video in TMPGenc's editor. Re-encoding MPEG isn't a good idea anyway. If you really must do a lot of color-correcting, convert first from MPEG to AVI, do your stuff, then use TMPGenc's stuff to go back to MPEG.

If all you want to do is cut up some MPEG without re-encoding it, just get TMPGenc's MPEG Editor.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Eventually, I will be creating a DVD with this video, so I'm basically going from MPEG-2 with AC3 to MPEG-2 with probably MP2 audio. I need to re-encode because I have to downsize to the correct resolution (with some letterboxing) and drop the framerate from 60fps to 30fps (this is video I snagged off my DVR).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TMPGEnc-Author 3 will do all this for you. Not cheap, but it's a very robust editor and conversion platform.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Eventually, I will be creating a DVD with this video, so I'm basically going from MPEG-2 with AC3 to MPEG-2 with probably MP2 audio. I need to re-encode because I have to downsize to the correct resolution (with some letterboxing) and drop the framerate from 60fps to 30fps (this is video I snagged off my DVR).
    Why would you want to go from AC3 to MP2 audio on an NTSC dvd
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh I don't have to do that, but I definitely need to downsize the resolution and framerate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh I don't have to do that, but I definitely need to downsize the resolution and framerate.
    Then do as I said before.

Demux with DGIndex. Allow it to demux the AC-3 audio and create a D2V project file. You don't really need to make a separate video only file as TMPGEnc Plus 2.5 should accept the D2V project file.

Re-encode the video giving yourself a video only file (M2V) and then join it back up with the AC-3 audio using whatever DVD Authoring program you intend to use.

Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Right, FulciLives, that seems like a good way to go considering the 60fps problem. I'd still advise the original post to keep TMPGenc and get their editor for the final output. I've done some fancy footwork in-between with lots of videos, but I find their encoder and editor hard to beat.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TheEvilHammer,

If you really want to use TMPGenc 2.5 for your editing you can use DGIndex as suggested earlier. One of its demux options is to output the audio to wav. Once its a wav, then you can easily open it up with TMPGenc and edit as you normally would.

Or if you really want MP2 audio (I also use for all my home made DVDs from captures, never had a compatibililty issue..), using DGIndex demux the native ac3 and use something like besweet to convert from ac3 to mp2. Quick and easy.

Either way, you'll have the video and audio ready for TMPGenc.
    Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey thanks for all your suggestions guys!

After playing around with various tools for several days, I think I've found a process that will work:
    1. I use ProjectX to demux the transport stream that I get from my DVR (I need ProjectX, rather than DGIndex, because ProjectX corrects the various problems in the stream and keeps A/V sync).
    2. I use TMPGEnc to work with the video file only, and drop the framerate, resolution, and bitrate to match DVD standards.
    3. I will probably use TMPGEnc DVD Author (or maybe VideoReDo) to remux the video and the AC3 file and edit out the commercials.
    Thanks again everyone! If I have any more problems/questions, I'll be sure to post!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey thanks for all your suggestions guys!

After playing around with various tools for several days, I think I've found a process that will work:
    1. I use ProjectX to demux the transport stream that I get from my DVR (I need ProjectX, rather than DGIndex, because ProjectX corrects the various problems in the stream and keeps A/V sync).
    2. I use TMPGEnc to work with the video file only, and drop the framerate, resolution, and bitrate to match DVD standards.
    3. I will probably use TMPGEnc DVD Author (or maybe VideoReDo) to remux the video and the AC3 file and edit out the commercials.
    Thanks again everyone! If I have any more problems/questions, I'll be sure to post!
    TMPGEnc DVD Author is a great program. I highly suggest it. Easy-to-use and if you need to do some (very basic editing) it does that well.

Quote Quote