VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is this possible? I'm replacing my Panny HS2 tomororw with a new Philips 3595, but there's a lot of stuff on the hdd of the Panny that I have still to watch. Is it possible to hook both up (via SCART?) and transfer the contents of the Panny's HDD to that of the new machine?
    Or am I just being silly?
    Thanks for any replies!
    Troll
    "I've learned that life is one crushing defeat after another, until you just wish Flanders was dead!" --- Homer J. Simpson
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My guess would be only realtime. That is playing on one unit and recording on the other, stopping at the end of each title. Note you will incur losses due to re-encoding the material, but if you use a fast enough speed on the recorder (SP or better) it shouldn't be too bad.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thx Jeff. That would be ok. I just want to watch the stuff then delete it, so quality not a problem. But I want to install the old machine downstairs for my sister, so will need the hdd formatted as it's currently not doing timer recordings (one of the reasons I'm replacing it), and so anything that has to be recorded on it needs to be recorded in a block of time, eg if I'm going out at 12 and there's a prog on at 6 I have to start it recording at 12 and leave it to run all the way.
    Once I can dump the contents of the hdd of the one to the hdd of the other I'd be happy. Just don't want to miss watching those progs, and can't dub to DVD RAM as the new machine won't play them...
    "I've learned that life is one crushing defeat after another, until you just wish Flanders was dead!" --- Homer J. Simpson
    Quote Quote  
  4. The second recorder would detect copy protection if you have it on your original dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What, normal telly progs copied onto the HDD? Not talking about commercial DVDs here, not talking about DVDs at all, but copying from hard disk to hard disk... don't see any copy protection necessary or applicable in that?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In the US, some cable TV content providers such as Showtime and HBO, or pay-per-view services, also employ copy protection flags in their signal which prevents one from copying recordings from HDD to disc, and sometimes prevents recording such programs at all. I don't think this would likely apply to anyone outside the US, such as yourself.

I don't know how much stuff you need to copy or how fast the HS2 can transfer to a DVD, but it might be faster than re-recording. Your old and new recorders allow you to use DVD-RW. If you plan on using those in your new recorder as a substitute for DVD-RAM, you could transfer some things from HDD to DVD-RW, and re-use them when you have finished viewing them. As long as you finalize them on your Panny (which takes about 3 minutes) after the transfer, there should be no problem viewing them on your new DVD recorder and most DVD players.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You can do as usually_quiet said
    Example
    I had recorded a program and edited it on a machine that only burned to a +R/RW disk, Which was ok but than I needed to burn the program to a -R disk
    I copied the program to a +RW disk, took that disk to a +/- unit and copied it to the HDD than copied the program to a –R disk
    I could not see any difference in the program between the HDD in the + unit and the final –R disk
    Your need, should require less copy time
    Quote Quote  
  8. Copying content from HDD to HDD;

It can be done in real time through the A/V connections, with a quality loss as the signal will be re-encoded.

Some HDD recorders will accept a disc recorded from one unit and can be directly copied from disc to HDD thus not loosing any bitrate but not all HDD recorders allow this.

Copying from Disc to HDD;

My experience is with the ILO HD04 (Liteon clone) and it will accept and copy any disc produced by any recorder to its hardrive, I do this with recordings from my Philips 720, and just recently tested my Philips 3575 and it worked. My ILO is able to copy recording from all my other recorders (Centrios, Go Video, Philips). The only issue I have is when it comes to editing meaning that although the ILO copied the files, with recordings from the Philips 720, it will recognize the bitrate up to EP and let me set a thumbnail, passed EP, no thumbnail, I need to do some further testing with the 3575, it did allow me at HQ, need to check the other speeds. The ILO will not alllow me to set a thumbnail with the Centrios or Go Video recordings.

I tried to see if the 3575 would copy from a disc produced by the ILO and also the Philips 720, the 3575 wouldn't allow it.

Something to try out with your Panny and Philips.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck
    I tried to see if the 3575 would copy from a disc produced by the ILO and also the Philips 720, the 3575 wouldn't allow it.
    Strange... did you use Direct Dubbing?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks wabjxo, the recorder is new to me, initially used the menu, I just tried it now with direct dubbing, didn't work either, one big crossed red circle, no go with my ILO or Philips 720 recordings.

Correction, direct dubbing works !!! It didn't work while the title was just highlighted, the title has to be playing then press direct dubbing, it's now copying, looks like real time dubbing though.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it is real-time, but at least it's a way of getting finalized non-copy-protected discs back on the HDD. (You can use the dub menu with unfinalized discs... still RT tho.)

If you use a high-quality rec mode, you won't lose any notcieable detail with RT dubs on the 3575. Here's a test I did on an HQ recording thru 6 RT generations.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Great report wabjxo, I don't want to get too off OT but I wonder if the direct dubbing is bit-by-bit and if you change the dubbing speed it internally adjust the bitrate compared to dubbing from a recorder/player to recorder via S-Video where the signal would go digital-to-analog and then analog-to-digital (d/a to a/d), clearly a loss and then add the variant speed factor to that, any thoughts on that?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I know what you're asking and I believe the internal direct dub, which occurs at same rec mode as original, is probably better than the same dub from a separate player thru a cable. Just doesn't seem to have the same conversions and cable "loss" involved. If you also changed rec mode to a lower one, that would just add to the degradation, as expected.

I didn't test any other RT gen rec modes so can't say if SP would hold up as well as the HQ did. Sounds like a good test tho!
    Quote Quote  
  14. I have not yet found a recorder that would not accept and copy a disk produced in any ilo RHD04, RO4 or any liteon 5045, 5005 to 5006 including the Philips 3575
    Quote Quote  
  15. Same here now, the only HDD recorder that I have that won't upload is because it can't and that's the Philips 720. It's not built to upload from DVD to HDD, just HDD to DVD.

The HD04 will upload anything and everything I put in it other than the obvious, commercial dvds. Very happy to see that the 3575 will do the same and with the opportunity to change speed, if need be, a feature that I didn't have before.
    Quote Quote  
  16. CrazyCanuck

I don't have the 3575 anymore But did I miss something or Miss-understand.

You said speed and would seem indicated for a dub. Other posts seemed to indicate a speed setting in dubbing a DVD to HDD or HDD to DVD. I did not find any such option in the unit or the manual.
    The dub speed in the liteon/ilo is 4x and the other recorders I have used, seem to limit the dub speed to about tiis and offer no options.
    Quote Quote  
  17. My bad explanations, referring to bitrate quality, I call it sometimes speed (HQ, SP, LP, EP, SLP) I should refer to it as recording modes. I'm testing out the PQ of the real time dubbing using the "direct dubbing" feature of the 3575. Of course ILO dubs at x4 but you can't tell the ILO to take an HQ recording and dub it at SP, it seems you can do that with the 3575 and apparently without too much of PQ loss compared to sending the signal via cables from one recorder to another to change the recording mode.

I was just trying to get to dub going, got it going and once finished I noticed that I'd left the recording mode at HQ and the result was that I dubbed a Simpsons episode from LP and it went HQ on the 3575's HDD.

Right now, I started a dub, same LP episode but I set the recording mode at SP just to see if the 3575 will dub at a different mode than the original, not looking at PQ at this point, just seeing if it can be done.

Later I'll start doing dubs from higher modes to lower modes in the 3575, and using the R04 to the Philips 720 using component-in and then check out the PQ of both. Not something that I intend to use a lot but if needed I'll know what will be the best route for me.

Yeap, the 3575 just finished dubbing the episode from LP to SP, so I can change the mode, now I'll do some testing from higher modes to lower modes.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Explanations can always be a problem I’ve been there myself

In some posts on this site dubbing speed was referred to as slow [real time] and high speed [I assume about 4x].
    The term dub at slow speed would seem misused, as it really was a new recording in real time. Granted, it seems, this can be done directly to the HDD in the 3575. A disk at SP, to the HDD at LP but it was still a recording in real time.

The same can be done on the liteon and other units but does require another player to play the disk to a units HDD at LP

There would be a definite advantage with the 3575 in time and equipment used but the term Dub is really misused by Philips.

Is my assumption correct or do you or anyone else see this as wrong?

PS
    I Don't believe I would find any difference [real world] with the internal option on the 3575 or the use of any cables [3 to 4 ft max] on other units but would agree that could be viewed differently by others.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did not notice any difference using the real time copy internal from DVD to HDD vs external DVD player to line input of 3575 recording to HDD.
    Using the internal HS copy was another story. Going from the internal HDD to DVD was lossless and looked better than the other way around.
    Too bad the Philips didn't have lossless both ways(for un copy protected media of course). I believe I've read some Pio's had this feature, but not positive.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Agreed, and I feel that an opinion on Quality will be an opinion of the viewer

A Quote from my last post.

“In some posts on this site dubbing speed was referred to as slow [real time] and high speed [I assume about 4x].
    The term dub at slow speed would seem misused, as it really was a new recording in real time. Granted, it seems, this can be done directly to the HDD in the 3575. A disk at SP, to the HDD at LP but it was still a recording in real time.

The same can be done on the liteon and other units but does require another player to play the disk to a units HDD at LP

There would be a definite advantage with the 3575 in time and equipment used but the term Dub is really misused by Philips.

Is my assumption correct or do you or anyone else see this as wrong? “

--------------------------------------------------------

To rephrase my prior post and the Question of the Dub function in the 3575

It is my opinion that the Term “Low Speed Dubbing” is Misleading and it is nothing more than RECORDING a DVD Disk to HDD or HDD to DVD Disk in SP to SP or SP to LP, etc in REAL TIME.
    The 3575 Does not have two or more Dubbing speeds [Copy]. It has ONE Referred to as High Speed [most likely around 4x.].

I should think that there are a number of users that have far more experience than I with the 3575 that could respond to this Opinion and Question
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I see where you're coming from. The Philips can only really dub one direction, that would be HDD to DVD in HS mode. Going from DVD to HDD in realtime would be a copy or "recording" as you said.
    I think a lot of people don't know the difference between the 2 so Philips has used the generic term "dub" to mean both dub and copy. It's not really correct in my book either.
    Quote Quote  
  22. jjeff

Thanks for the Reply

“The Philips can only really dub one direction, that would be HDD to DVD in HS mode. Going from DVD to HDD in realtime would be a copy or "recording" as you said.
    I think a lot of people don't know the difference between the 2 so Philips has used the generic term "dub" to mean both dub and copy. It's not really correct in my book either.
    -----------------------------------------------------------

It was the terminology. comments and manual that I found conflicting and confusing

I believe the Philips to be a good machine. Actually I can record [copy] from the DVD to the HDD [not CP] but cannot change the recording mode, except with extra steps.

I forgot but can’t the 3575 also HS dubb from the DVD to the HDD—[not CP]

Thanks Again

PS
    I found the 3575 did very well with a unit as the liteon 5005 0r ilo R04, before it
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LCSHG

I forgot but can’t the 3575 also HS dubb from the DVD to the HDD—[not CP]
    From what I remember the only HS dub(lossless) was from HDD to DVD, not the other way around.
    Note it's not just CP'd DVD's that cannot be copied to the HDD, it's any "commercial burned" DVD. I had a couple commercial DVD's that I know did not have CP on them(they had writing on the disc encouraging people to copy them and pass them on to friends etc.) The 3575 would not copy those DVD's to the HDD.
    The recorder must have a means to detect the DVD is burned with pits vs. dye changes on home recorded DVD's.
    I was able to have the 3575 copy the DVD's to the HDD by hooking up a external DVD player to the line inputs of the 3575, and copying in real time. No CP warning this time.
    Commercial discs have the shinny silver writing surface, vs. the darker surfaces of DVDR and DVDRW's.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Interesting info on the 3575. I should have taken more time with it when I had it but I have 11 liteon/ilo units and was just looking at the 3575 but didn’t need it.
    On the dubb do you think that if you did this with a Disk in SP and dubbed to the HDD in SP rather than say LP, would it than be [lossless]

I have a Go Viedo DV 2150 combo unit. It’s really a good unit. The Tape deck and DVD work very well.
    It also will play any commercial disk BUT will Not play any burned disk.
    As you say it could be the difference in a pressed disk and one that is dye based but it also will not play a burned +RW disk and they are a Phase Change media .
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You sound like me. I currently have 9(I think )Panny DVDR's. When I got the Philips I really liked a lot of it's features but: A. didn't really care for the 2 1/2-3 hr speed PQ and B. Had too many Panny's, so I returned it. From what I understand the only "lossless" copy on the Philips is HDD to DVD done HS. Any other realtime "copy" will result in re-encoding and PQ loss.
    I understand some of the earlier Pioneer DVDR's w/hdd had the option to do a "mirror copy" of a non CP'd DVD. It would copy from a DVD to HDD, then back from HDD to another DVD. I think if the 3575 would have had this feature, for that reason alone I would have kept it, but it's only lossless one way.
    Quote Quote