VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I wanna purchase good capture card,
    and after a lot of indecisions I've decided to get the Hauppauge PVR 150.
    when i called to one of the biggest PC hardware stores here in Israel - I've been told that
    the Hauppauge PVR 150 wont work on Windows XP OS, only on Vista.
    Is it true?

what about the AverMedia M785?
    Is it compatible with Win XP?

BTW - which card is considered better?

Thanks in advanced!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    They completely LIED to you.
    I use my PVR-350 on XP exclusively.
    If anything....this store is completely backwards. The PVR-150, 250, 350 are pretty old and probably will give you problems on Vista.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The PVR-150 that I had worked on Win2k and WinXP.Never saw any posts about the card not working on those OS.

Saw some posts about the PVR-150 being overly bright and having sound problems. I never had sound problems, and I was able to configure down the brightness.

I now have the PVR-350 and I believe the overall quality is better than the PVR-150, but of course, it costs more.
    I don't have Vista.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use the PVR 150 with XP with out any problems.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by hech54
    They completely LIED to you.
    well... that wont increase their sales,
    so I think its ignorance, more then its attempt to lie to me, is what made them say that...

anyway:
    Originally Posted by hech54
    I use my PVR-350 on XP exclusively.
    Originally Posted by bendixG15
    I now have the PVR-350 and I believe the overall quality is better than the PVR-150, but of course, it costs more.
    are you satisfied with it?
    cause i dont mind adding 100-150 NIS to get better product.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You apparently don't know this, but the PVR-150 is notorious for NOT working correctly in some systems. In some PCs, it works perfectly. In others, it basically never works correctly. Nobody knows why it works great in some systems and won't work in others. You definitely need to be able to return the card if you can't get it to work for you. Yes, it works fine, if it works at all, in XP. XP is not part of the problem with the card.

I recommend the PVR-250 or 350 because they use a different chipset from the 150 and the 250/350 just work for everybody. No problems there. Unless you must have AVI capture, there is no real reason to not go with the 250 or 350 and not roll the dice that the 150 will work for you.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by jman98
    Unless you must have AVI capture, there is no real reason to not go with the 250 or 350 and not roll the dice that the 150 will work for you.
    can PVR-150 capture AVI other then PVR-250/350?

cause i'm not sure...
    i'm planning of capturing MPEG-2 from the TV cables box.
    and i also read that one of the most important things is hardware compression.
    does PVR-250/350 have it to?

appreciate your help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm running Vista Basic - PVR150 works fine. Just make certain you visit Hauppauge's support site and download the correct drivers, updates, etc..

I've captured at up to 12MB/sec without issue. Whoever says Hauppauge cards won't work in Vista are uninformed.

BTW: With Vista - All installs must be "run as administrator" to have the desired effect.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by hech54
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hauppauge_Computer_Works#Personal_Video_Recorders
    O.K,
    I Guess the PVR-150 is not so perfect,
    even though its the PVR-250/350 successor...

anyway,
    thanks for the help but I realize that Hauppauge PVR-150 not
    as popular as i thought in most hardware stores here in Israel (unfortunately).
    so I'll guess i just go with the flow and grab one of Leadtek's products.
    I read some good reviews about their PVR2000/3000.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The PVR-250/350 can only capture in MPEG-1/2. That's good enough for your needs. All Hauppauge cards use chips on the card to do hardware compression. I use the 350 all the time for MPEG-2 captures.

The 150 is not what I would call a "successor". The PVR-250 and 350 are still available here in the USA. The 150 is as old as they are and is a cheaper alternative but it was never intended to replace them. If you can't find anything but a 150 then it is a successor only in terms of being still available. The 150 was designed to be a cheap entry level card for people who couldn't afford the superior 250/350 models, which cost around $200 US or more 3 years ago.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by GangstaRap
    so I'll guess i just go with the flow and grab one of Leadtek's products.
    I read some good reviews about their PVR2000/3000.
    If you don't need uncompressed AVI capture....I'd just get a 250 or 350 from Ebay.
    Quote Quote