VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently updated from Win XP to Vista Ultimate x64 and everything is excellent apart from some little problems along the way.

I started with the K-lite codec pack and before you say’ I know I shouldn’t have so I’ve uninstalled it (system,registry) and have started getting the individual codec’s I require to play the files I use.

Originally WMP 11 played all the files I use and played fine in XP but with Vista I’m not getting the same effect.

WMV, MPG, ASF (Advanced Systems Format) all play fine with WMP 11

I have installed “FFdshow-rev 18902008036” which I used with XP, seems to work well with Vista.

Also installed “osflvsplitter” to play the Flv (Flash Files) worked well. Although to preview a selection of flv’s I’d add them to the WMP11 library, the odd one wouldn’t play (sound, no picture just visualization) But clicking the file individually would play with no problem at all???

The main problem is with AVI, I know there are many aspects to this file but with FFdshow on XP I never ran into any problems with this file and its many codec’s.

Playing them on WMP 11 in Vista I get sound but no picture just the visualisation so ran the majority of them through Gspot & AVIcodec to preview what codec ran them , the majority said XVID

files that wouldn’t play at all pointed me to a codec through windows MPEG 4 (XVID).
    Went through Windows site to the official XVID site, downloaded the file XVID 1.1.3.

Still my AVI’s files have no picture.

Is the problem with XVID? Or with Ffdshow - Configuration setting?

Would appreciate any help THANKS.
    Quote Quote  
  2. In the ffdshow video configuration, check "xvid" and see if it's enabled - it should say libavcodec, not disabled

If it was already enabled and you still have problems, you may need a 64-bit version of ffdshow. There is also a 64-bit version of k-lite (contains ffdshow x64) but many folks around here don't like codec packs
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for the late reply, Thanks for the reply poisondeathray.

I was going to wait till I had solved my problem but went 1 forward and 1 back.

Thought I would come back to you guys since it looks like you all know your onions?

Managed to solve the problem in getting an ffdshow64-rev2546 from a search & play’s the AVI files fine after a slight change (the ones you suggested) to the settings in FFDshow.

But now playing FLV files don’t work meaning the osflvsplitter.1.0.0.1_nt doesn’t do its job
    I have enabled the FLV1 in the FFdshow but still no joy.

Also can’t play MKV (Matroska Multimedia Container) files only have a couple of them but they played before.

MP4 will not play also, I think both are associated with H.264 Gspot say the codec is acv1.
    Enabled H.264 but no joy.

The main Problem is the FLV files...

What I don’t understand is that Microsoft spend about 5 years in developing their new Software & don’t spend like 2 minutes bunging in a few more codec’s to play popular file types. Just laziness if you ask me.

Thanks for all the help
    Quote Quote  
  4. [Begin Rant] Yes it's sad about the incompatibilities with a 64-bit OS and Vista [End Rant]

For FLV, try enabling VP6, VP6F and FLV1 in ffdshow

For MKV's you are out of luck, there are no 64-bit splitters that I know of (Haali only comes in 32-bit version). VLC is supposed to work for MKV playback in 64-bit OS

These are some of the reasons I moved back to 32-bit XP.

Good luck
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have enabled FLV and get sound but no picture (which i forgot to mention before)

Can't find VP6, VP6F in the Video decoder Configuration settings

Apart from these problems X64 has been really good I had XP 32 bit for ages and really notice the difference.

Cheers for the help appreciate it.
    Quote Quote