VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi! Newbie question here. I have lots of experience with UNIX, but this is my first attempt at using ffmpegX.

My question is about this statement in the installation instructions:

Make sure that your startup disk has no spaces or special characters in its name.
    How important is that? What will happen (or not happen) if my startup disk has a space in its name? I still use the default name as installed with Mac OS X, "Macintosh HD". If I change the name of the disk to one without spaces, I believe that may break some applications. Right or wrong, some applications may store that info in their preferences files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lsloan
    How important is that?
    I haven't tested every possible operation, but it seems to be a non-issue with version 0.0.9y: No more errors caused by spaces, unlike previous versions.
    Previous versions were known not to escape spaces in the path, when passing on commands to the underlying command line tools, for a few operations.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Case
    I haven't tested every possible operation, but it seems to be a non-issue with version 0.0.9y: No more errors caused by spaces, unlike previous versions.
    That's good to hear.

Do you remember what kind of errors were caused when it was a problem? I'm having trouble with my new ffmpegX installation and I want to make sure that spaces in the startup disk name isn't contributing to the problem.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    With the old versions, e.g. mencoder and mplex could halt the conversion, because files were not found, as the space could be seen as a command separator to command line tools.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Case
    With the old versions, e.g. mencoder and mplex could halt the conversion, because files were not found, as the space could be seen as a command separator to command line tools.
    OK. I don't think that's the problem I'm seeing. I'll start a new topic thread about the problems I do see...
    Quote Quote