VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/CMC-holds-off-on-Blu-ray-Disc-production.html

Noteable quote: "While Blu-ray disc production equipment is very expensive, the high royalties makes matters worse, particularly since there are as many as 21 owners of Blu-ray Disc patents who plan claiming royalty charges. "

<sarcasm> Wow! Who could have seen that coming? </sarcasm>
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    until the global Blu-ray disc market takes off
    that could be quite some time...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can't blame me...I voted for HD-DVD!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Scooter_NJ
    Can't blame me...I voted for HD-DVD!
    So did I.
    davidcw
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I voted for OnDemand. In my opinion There were two losers in the HD war.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Everyone but the movie studios voted for HD-DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Evening guys.

I don't know. Maybe I'm blowing smoke, but for some reason I just don't see this (assumed)
    newer format benefiting us, at least in terms of quality. I mean, look at the MPEG-2 that
    were used on commercial dvd's. Even this great format they didn't use the proper amount
    a bitrate to give us the best picture quality. Instead, they kept (and still do) the bitrate
    at what they consider acceptable. Well, lets face it, at the time (in the beginning) it was
    ok because we didn't know what we know today. But since then, many of us do and we
    are now (some of us have been for some time now) becoming aware fo the lack of quality
    that was suppose to be in this (mpeg-2) format. Anyway.

And now, with Blue-Ray (aka, AVC/VC1) I have to wonder just how much effort or limits they
    will put into this format for the commercial releases of movie contents for use consumers.
    So far, I have not seen anything (as promised, in terms of quality etc) that rivals the dvd
    (mpeg-2) standards of today.

I read here (and there) various passages about the difference in AVC/VC1 vs. MPEG-2, and
    the usual nonsense (in so many words) of (less_bitrate+better_format)=greater quality or
    enchanced quality.. or something like that over the now prob older mpeg-2 standards. But
    what I've seen in some AVC/VC1 videos is the same nonense with dvd's, generally less
    bitrate and preceivable artifacts.

I guess it'll always be the same, they consort together, one another, and agree on a stragegy
    that will (they'll enforce us to believe) through the avenue of 'hype' how great this new
    format is, but in the end, they'll have come to an agreed set of pre-determined quality attributes
    for the new blue-ray standard.

All this assuming that blur-ray is the new standard. So far, I have not read anywhere where
    it is officially stated that blur-ray is the new standard. All we are seeing is how Toshiba
    threw in the towel on the HD-DVD because other entites were going with blue-ray. So, I'm
    assuming that this *new* standard was boasted either on this forum or others and we just
    carried the word in our own haste to beat the other guy in spreading it

-vhelp 4562
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Consumer demand for writable Blu-Ray (or HDDVD if it could be resurrected for consumer use) is not even on the radar screen at this time. Will have to wait 2 to 5 years to find if a marketable demand can be developed.

I would be more enterested in DVD Plus......standard def mpg2 on a single layer disk with HDDVD data capacity. Then we could finally have a DVD recorder that can better VHS EP....6 to 8 hours VHS EP now beats the hell out of anything I've seen from DVD recorders using 3 Hr and longer recording times.

Who would buy Blu-Ray from CMC anyway? Their DVD media is crap.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, their DVD media *is* crap. However, given the cost of making Blu-Ray, not even CMC can find a way to make them cheaply enough to entice people to buy even their would-be crappy Blu-Ray disks.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    vhelp wrote:

I don't know. Maybe I'm blowing smoke, but for some reason I just don't see this (assumed)
    newer format benefiting us, at least in terms of quality. I mean, look at the MPEG-2 that
    were used on commercial dvd's. Even this great format they didn't use the proper amount
    a bitrate to give us the best picture quality. Instead, they kept (and still do) the bitrate
    at what they consider acceptable
    I read here (and there) various passages about the difference in AVC/VC1 vs. MPEG-2, and
    the usual nonsense (in so many words) of (less_bitrate+better_format)=greater quality or
    enchanced quality.. or something like that over the now prob older mpeg-2 standards. But
    what I've seen in some AVC/VC1 videos is the same nonense with dvd's, generally less
    bitrate and preceivable artifacts.
    Correct.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. Two models of buggy-whips. Let them fight over a market that will never materialize.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I reckon you can expect DVD quality to get lower and lower, to "encourage" people to swap to the "better quality" HD standards.
    Quote Quote