VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everyone

I have a Philips DVD/Divx player (DVP3146K/98) and it supports (.srt, .smi, .sub, .ssa, .txt) divx subtitles. I'v burned a divx disc with the .avi and the .srt in the same folder and (same name). The video works fine but the subtitle isn't in the language i want (Arabic), It's has mixed letters and characters between latin, chinese, trees and squares.

I switched between the region codes but the problem stills. My question is: Did i miss a step in the burning stage, like i had to modify something in the .srt file.

please help
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It maybe doesn't support arabic characters. You could try make a divx with image subtitles using sub2divx or AVIAddXSubs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. You might need a firmware update.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Baldrick is probably right. Philips DVD players support Latin and Cyrillic character sets for Divx subtitles and that is all. I am not aware of any exceptions.

We get posts here all the time from guys who want to see Divx with Arabic subtitles and can't find a player that supports it. I don't think there is going to be a solution for you except to encode your files with what we call "hard subtitles' where they are part of the video image.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jman98, there is no need to re-encode the video and make hard subs. The solution suggested by Baldrick is lossless, way easier and faster; xsub is the most appropriate format for stand-alone players. I use AVIAddXSubs which has never disappointed me, it is an excellent tool.
    Quote Quote