VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been trying to figure out the best way to store DVDs on my computer or external hard drive that I can play back over my TV. I have read numerous forums but it gets very confusing on which way works the best.
    I have even looked at the TVIX and MVIX boxes. What looks promising to me is just using the Vista Media Center 11 that is already on my computer. Would I need anything else besides the HDMI DVI cable and loading the DVDs onto my computer? Or would I be better off buying the TVIX or MVIX box?

Im very confused about trying to setup the PS3 to interface with TV and computer but then I was reading one of these threads that mentions if you use Nero 8 it will work with the PS3. Is this true?
    Is there enything else that works or has the UPnP? Would Vista Media Center 11 work with PS3?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt the media center works with the ps3. It DOES with work a xbox 360 however.

Aside from that you dno't need a gaming console to use a computer with a tv. What you need for full high def is the already mentioned hdmi/dvi cable. I have such a cable (about 30.00 I think it was). This and of course a remote control. you can get one online for around 30.00 or so at newegg, amazon and elsewhere.

Or if you are so inclined you can simply use a wireless mouse as your remote. Though not as convenient. I am currently doing that with my windows vista premium pc that has windows media center on it.

The advantage of using a pc over a dedicated box of course is supreme flexibility. Whatever you can play on your compouter you can play on your tv. However it isn't as streamlined as a settop box. Though your dedicated media servers should do just as well.

It would be a personal preference of using the pc versus the media boxes. If you are ok with using your pc with your main tv than go for it. However the flexibility of using a smaller footprint media box might be more beneficial. Also just be certain the box you pick conforms to the file types you want to play. If you have a bunch of mkv files as well as divx and dvd rips than make sure it handles all of them. Please note that you should be sure your model handles high def files and at what resoultion and bitrate to be sure.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    But why would I need a remote control? I guess with the HDMI DVI cable I would also need a separate audio cable too. Also the Pioneer TV manual mentions using RGB cable.........is that better to use?
    Thanks for the reply
    Quote Quote