VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    https://www.videohelp.com/toolsimages/dvdfab_decrypter_813.jpg

i can't seem to find the option for iso output.

also, when i ripped it into audio_ts and video_ts and since there isn't a iso file, how do i burn it onto a dvd-r then?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Imgburn in build mode. Select the Video_TS folder, and imgburn will know it's a DVD and burn accordingly.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    so i can just select video_ts and it will burn the whole thing to a dvd-r even without a iso file?

are there anyway to select iso output on dvdfab hd decrypter?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If you are burning directly to a DVD blank, there's not much purpose to creating a ISO container of the folder first. Just use the 'Build' option in ImgBurn as mentioned.

But if you really want to create a ISO container, it's to the right of the folder selection on the 'Target' selection on DVDFab.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    why not? i thought that the purpose of an iso files is to decrypt everything on a dvd movies to a single file and then burn that single iso file onto a dvd-r.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is, but it isn't really necessary. If you like ISO files (and some people do), then go for it. But the world won't end if you don't, and the process will still work.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    That type of ISO file is just a container. Nothing magical there. You already have a VIDEO_TS folder and a ISO is just a container for a container in that case. It does have another use, and that's to have the name of the video as a container name. Otherwise it's just a generic VIDEO_TS folder. But, IMO, it's just a unnecessary step if you are burning directly to disc.

ISOs are useful for storage of VIDEO_TS and the AUDIO_TS folders or multiple files, but the AUDIO_TS folder is very seldom used with a movie DVD, so you don't really need it. And ImgBurn can create another AUDIO_TS folder when it burns.

But either way would work fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    everytime i ripped a movie on video_ts and audio_ts i always fear that it may miss-burn some files and seem sloppy in comparison to iso since i wanted a exact duplicate of the original .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Once upon a time that might have been true, and certainly DVD Decrypter's ISO->Read, ISO-Write mode made it easier to do this way. But frankly, I can't remember the last time I ripped to an ISO file.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    .iso files also have the added convenience of launching your default burning program when double clicked, but again in 'build mode' it doesn't matter.. you could be building a disc from files scattered anywhere, even from across a network.
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
  11. To answer the OP's question:

In DVDFab HD Decrypter, click on the icon that looks like a disc on top of a sheet of paper; it's to the right of the folder icon. That is how you choose folder or image file. Image file = ISO image.

Be sure to click the image file icon to the right of "Target". You'll be prompted for a *.iso filename.

-drjtech
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Beautiful Alone
    so i can just select video_ts and it will burn the whole thing to a dvd-r even without a iso file?

are there anyway to select iso output on dvdfab hd decrypter?

ive tried selecting the whole video_ts folder in "build mode"and ran into something called "layer break" and have also tried selection individual files to burn with no success and had to abort.

how exactly do you burn again?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i ripped a whole dvd movie into video_ts using DVDFab HD Decrypter 4 and ive noticed that the audio_ts folder is empty and also noticed in the program the
    copy DVD-audio (audio_ts folder) is not selectable. https://www.videohelp.com/toolsimages/dvdfab_decrypter_813.jpg

will this be a concern after i burn it onto a dvd-r disc later on?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    As I mentioned, the AUDIO_TS folder is very rarely used in a DVD and is empty. It's for a digital audio file or to make a digital audio DVD. You don't need it 99.9% of the time except with some older DVD players for compatibility. And ImgBurn will create a new blank one by default.

BTW, if you are ripping the whole DVD with no compression, you will need a dual (double) layer DVD disc to back it up most times and you will have to deal with the layer break. But ImgBurn makes that fairly easy as it gives you some choices and recommendations on where to place it.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Beautiful Alone
    ive tried selecting the whole video_ts folder in "build mode"and ran into something called "layer break" and have also tried selection individual files to burn with no success and had to abort.
    If you want to back-up the whole dvd into one dvd-r, then you'll need to use dvdshrink or dvd rebuilder first. Either one of those programs will shrink/recode the original material so that it will fit onto a 4.7g dvd-r.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    As I mentioned, the AUDIO_TS folder is very rarely used in a DVD and is empty. It's for a digital audio file or to make a digital audio DVD. You don't need it 99.9% of the time except with some older DVD players for compatibility. And ImgBurn will create a new blank one by default.
    how will it have have audio if the soundtrack is missing?

BTW, if you are ripping the whole DVD with no compression, you will need a dual (double) layer DVD disc to back it up most times and you will have to deal with the layer break. But ImgBurn makes that fairly easy as it gives you some choices and recommendations on where to place it.
    right, im ripping a dual dvd w/ no compression. so the ''layer break'' is normal. what is the significant of this layer break?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The audio tracks, along with the subs, alternate languages and other stuff is 'muxed' or combined into the VOBS. Take a look at 'WHAT IS' DVD to the upper left on this page and you can see the structure of a DVD and where everything is. I haven't seen a DVD yet with anything in the AUDIO_TS folder, but I assume they're out there somewhere.

The 'layer break' is part of the 'dual layer. The burner writes the first layer, usually inside to outside for the first half of the disk. Then it starts over and writes the second half on the second layer. The changeover between the first layer and the second layer is the 'layer break'. If it's put in the wrong place, such as the middle of a fast action sequence, you will notice a momentary pause in the video. You put it in a slower piece of video or at a scene change and you will probably never notice it.

ImgBurn gives you some suggested positions for the break. It would normally be half way through the video. But if you change the amount of info on the DVD from the original, you will need a new location and that's what ImgBurn will suggest for you. Not really a big deal most times, but something to be aware of.

Hopefully I didn't mess up the explanation too much.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello

I have a similar question. I can't seem to figure out how to playback the movie when it is saved with all these different folders and files. I've tried using VLC but it just shows the DVD menu and I can't click on play movie, non of the buttons will work. So I feel the need to have ISO files since they are MUCH easier to play.

Maybe someone can help learn how to use these other files types.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Only the paid version of DVDFab can rip to ISO. The free HD Decrypter cannot.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can create a ISO file with ImgBurn and just save it to disk instead of burning if you like.

But VLC should play a DVD VIDEO_TS folder with no problems. Just click 'Open Folder' in the file menu and select it. I use the context menu most times. It shows when you R click on a file if you enabled it when VLC was installed. Then select "Play with VLC media player". You might try uninstalling and reinstalling VLC and make sure 'Context menus' are checked. The newer versions of VLC seem to be a bit easier to use also.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a big fan of .iso. Why? I have found it to be the easiest format to use when converting movies to other formats. Often I will copy a DVD to an .iso and then create an xVid for my MP3 player using FairUse Wizard. Then I'll mount the .iso to a virtual drive so I can create an MP4 for my wireless media server. And if I ever want to burn the .iso I can do so much easier in Nero.

I'm trying to get DVDFab to save an .iso. I hope it works as described. If not I'll stick with DVD Shrink, which is slower but I already know how to use it.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by drjtech
    To answer the OP's question:

In DVDFab HD Decrypter, click on the icon that looks like a disc on top of a sheet of paper; it's to the right of the folder icon. That is how you choose folder or image file. Image file = ISO image.

Be sure to click the image file icon to the right of "Target". You'll be prompted for a *.iso filename.

-drjtech
    thanx ive been scratching my head wondering on how to make iso's with dvd fab
    Quote Quote  
  23. I know this is old but I am still trying to make it work.

How do I make SHRINK output an ISO. when I tell it to create an ISO it REFUSES TOO and instead it makes a series of 1gb files called

xxx.I00 xxx.I01 xxx.I03

I want a SINGLE xxx.iso

I am trying your instruction for DVDFAB right now. Hopefully it will actually make a single file ISO but for some films shrink just works better than dvdfab and I hate going 2 step. Rip with shrink then ISO with something else. Prefer single step.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	19796
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	637
    when you clicked 'backup' did you select "ISO Image File" from the dropdown box?
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
  25. YES and it does make an image. Just not an ISO image

it makes an I00 image split into 1gb chunks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    check the drive properties. does the drive you are saving to have an NTFS file system or FAT32? if it is not NTFS then that is your problem.
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
  27. No its not. The drive is fat32 and DVDFAB has "no problem" saving the 2.8gb iso to it. (16gb thumb drive) DVD Shrink also does this to NTFS partitions. (I tried a few years ago and shrugged the result off as meh)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by nerys View Post
    No its not. The drive is fat32 and DVDFAB has "no problem" saving the 2.8gb iso to it. (16gb thumb drive) DVD Shrink also does this to NTFS partitions. (I tried a few years ago and shrugged the result off as meh)
    This post makes NO sense whatsoever.

AND....I'm also confused about why people keep talking about "build mode" in ImgBurn when....if
    all you are doing is burning your movie to a blank DVD...there is absolutely ZERO need to "build"
    an ISO....just load the damn VIDEO_TS folder into ImgBurn and ImgBurn will do to the rest for you.
    Holy Crap folks.

AND AND....only DVDFabDecrypter's pay version outputs ISO images(already mentioned but needs repeating IMO).
    Quote Quote  
  29. I don't know why it makes no sense to you

When I use DVDFAB and instruct it to make an ISO of a 2.8gb movie

it makes a 2.8 gb ISO file

when I instruct SHRINK to make an ISO of a 2.8gb movie not only does it NOT make an ISO at all it splits this "other" thing it does into 1gb chunks. xxx.I00 xx.I01 xxx.I02

its really that simple. I don't know how else to make it make sense. One thing I never tried maybe I will try this is to see what shrink makes if its under 1gb. will it make an ISO or a single I00

Disk architecture is irrelevant. Limits for FAT are 2gb Limits for Fat32 are 4gb Limits for NTFS are very high.

its making 1gb files so whatever its doing has NOTHING to do with disk architecture.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by nerys View Post
    its really that simple. I don't know how else to make it make sense.
    Well since I had to Google what an I00 file was....and I've been using DVDShrink since it first came out
    and still use it to this day....it's safe to assume that I personally have never seen DVDShrink output
    such files.....EVER....on either a FAT32 drive or NTFS drive.
    So technically I'm still correct....this conversation makes ZERO sense to me.

Do you have the last official version of DVDShrink? (3.2)
    Quote Quote