VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi I have a 720p MKV file and I have been trying to convert it into an mpeg4 file so it will play on my xbox360 in true HD. If you dont know the xbox 360 can now play xvid files such as the ones labbeled hdtv and hr.hdtv but of course both of these are not true HD. What Im trying to do is convert the 720p MKV file into an xvid file that will play on the 360 however I want the resolution of 1280.720 to remain untouched. Now I tried River Past Video Cleaner Pro and also just recently tried avidemux, but no luck. In avidemux I selected the output option and I changed the conversion settings to
    -Video: MPEG4 ASP (xvid4) [I altered the xvid encoding type to the same quantizer as input]
    -Audio: MP3 LAME [I'm not sure if the 360 will play a better audio quality I wanted to get the best 5.1 encoding]
    -Format: AVI [The MP4 option is also available but I thought the hdtv and hr.hdtv files are avi so I should use AVI]

When the avidemux is done converting one episode (1.07Gb, 3 - 4.5hrs) it ends up being 1.79Gb and looks like a blank generic file. It wont play unless you right click and open with a media player and when I try it in my 360 it doesnt recognize it as an Xvid file. I dont know what I did wrong and can use a hand to get this working. Also does anyone know if the toshiba hd-a30 hddvd player plays mkv files through the usb port or even xvid files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AVI Demux doesn't put the extension on by default. You have to do it when you save it : eg. myvideo.avi. As the 360 is a M$ product, it probably gets lost without an extension to guide it. Rename the file and add the .avi to the end and try again.

Failing that, you might try alltoavi
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you kidding me, thats it? lol Well it looks like it might work, it put up a thumbnail automatically. Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    damn I was sure that would be it guess I was wrong. I added .avi but when burned to a disc and played on my 360 it still can't play the video. It recognizes it as an avi however, what can I do? has anyone used a program for this purpose and got it to work with HD quality on their game console.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    " Who needs Google, my wife knows everything"
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, ill try it but I might be out of HDD space after downloading all of those required programs haha.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote