VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am trying to restore a commercial VHS tape. The original source is film that has been telecined and transfered to tape. The film has been edited after the telecine process (i.e. trailers added, etc) so I am afraid that IVTC is not possible. I will be deinterlacing before encoding with xvid.

There are two types of artifacts that I am concerned with removing/lessening:

1. VHS drop-outs (horizontal scratches/lines) due to tape degradation.
    2. Film spots that were not removed during digitization and transfer to vhs.

I would like to use AviSynth and Fizick's DeScratch and DeSpot filters respectively for each of these issues. I am familiar with AviSynth but find the shear number of parms for both plugins intimidating. Help from any script guru's would be much appreciated. Suggestions for a starting point with parms?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This might turn into an interesting thread. :o)

I have just finished doing the same thing. There was no great solution. I found a couple of acceptable ones.

I think the original movie (1942) was Cinemascopic in 'TECHNICOLOR'.
    A Republic Pictures Studio movie. Trailers added 40 years later and then put on VHS.

I finally settled for this:-
    AviSource("movie.avi", audio=false).assumefps(25,1,true)
    #remove VHS rubbish from the bottom
    crop(0,0,0,-8).addborders(0,4,0,4)
    ConverttoYV12()
    DeGrainMedian(limitY=5 ,limitUV=5, mode=4, norow=true)
    DeGrainMedian(limitY=5 ,limitUV=5, mode=4, norow=true)
    ReduceFlicker(strength=3)

There WILL be further posts.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The problem I have is that I either get too much interpolation overall, or interpolation in areas that are not "true" spots. I just can't seem to tune parms correctly. I am also concerned with filter order. Considering the following order:

Descratch
    Deinterlace
    Despot
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I understand correctly, dropouts are usually 'white -horizontal- streaks' that run across
    the image at random places, though they can be at or near that same place depending
    on the condition of the tape/vcr. And if this is the case then it might be possible for
    someone to write an avisynth script to detect/lock onto these and rub them out.

Posting a few examples of the artifacts might help further..

-vhelp 4561
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The intelligent IVTC tools available for AVIsynth (e.g. telecide and decimate) will happily cope with "edited after 3-2 pulldown" material.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IMHO Fizicks Filters (Descratch & Despot) will not give you good results until you IVTC back to the original progressive film source. TIVTC worked well for me.

Could you not split the source into the original and trailers and process each individually?
    Quote Quote