VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do you set up your video so it automatcially starts to play when someone comes to your page?

And is it possible after the video is completed that it redirect the user to a new page?

PLEASE HELP.

Thanks
    Mary@workingwebsolutions.com
    Mary Killelea
    Web Design Portland
    Portand SEO
    www.workingwebsolutions.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    well, if it is set to auto, it interferes with the rest of the page load
    best to let the user click play
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What kind of player? flash bashed? windows media? quicktime?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    windows media www.bestshortsales.com is where the example of the player is
    Mary Killelea
    Web Design Portland
    Portand SEO
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    that's just an image of a player
    if that's all you want
    other options here
    http://cit.ucsf.edu/embedmedia/step1.php
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What do you mean that's just a picture of player .. the video is associated with the picture and needs to be prompted by user to play I want to avoid the user having to prompt to play and have it auto play on completion of page load so the user is basically forced to see my product sample until they chose to close or stop player.
    Mary Killelea
    Web Design Portland
    Portand SEO
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Zoobie is correct, what you have on the page is a web link (a graphic button) that will open (in my case) windows media player. As a Web designer myself I would recommend using Flash for video.

Here is why:
    1. Everyone has the plug-in to view the video
    2. You can have it auto start
    3. You can program cue points which can start other videos, Swf's, go to other web pages
    4. Using the On2 compression will give you very good video quality.

Using Flash Video will do all that you want but I am not sure why after the video is over you would want the user to go to another page? I would say in most cases a user may stop the video or ignore the video until they are interested in looking at the video. And then to push them to another page when they did not finish reading the first page which has a lot of content this can be very aggravating and you could turn off users rather then attracting users.

Raymond
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The video product that my customer is selling is the DRM Video only used with Windows media player so he used this initial video as a free overview video using the same format. So what you are recommending is to take the Video preview piece that I have and instead imbed it or recreate it with FLASH and that will allow me ot have the flexability to have it triggered to play on the load of the page. Is that correct? I appreacite your input REALLY It's a big help i'm just trying to figure out the best solution fcr my situation.
    Mary Killelea
    Web Design Portland
    Portand SEO
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes that is correct this video is free so you don't need DRM. If you have Flash it comes with Flash 8 Video Encoder. You may have to convert the video to MPG first which you can find many tools here to do that and I believe Ulead has DVD Movie Factory 6 which you can get for a 30 day trial. You may be able to find freeware that will take the WMV file and convert it directly into the Flash FLV file.

I looked at the video it's 5:00 minutes long and to be honest I really do not believe anyone will sit throught the whole thing but if this is what your client want then you have no choice.

Almost all the Video web site like uTube and Google Video are using Flash video so I believe it's the way to go.

Look in your Flash help files on Cue points and Flash Video Player, you can also check out www.flashkit.com which has a lot of tutorials.

Good Luck
    Raymond
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by web_maven
    I looked at the video it's 5:00 minutes long and to be honest I really do not believe anyone will sit throught the whole thing but if this is what your client want then you have no choice.
    I agree...there's a lot of psychology that goes into successful website building
    this is right up there with having a bunch of lame pop-ups onunload
    Quote Quote