VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello folks I posted a few weeks ago and was asking for advice for a new dvd recorder. Well my previous one was a Pioneer 233 or 231s exclusive to walmart. I was looking for something to give me the same quality as the pioneer. I bought a Toshiba dr 550 and It has only 1,2,4,6(8) recording modes. The unit does not have any noise reduction or any kind of filters what so ever. So I went ahead and got an old tape of mine that I put on the pioneer and tried my normal setup. Here is what my set up was. AVT 8710-Signvideo dr1000-Signvideo procamp-dvd recorder 2 hour mode. All was done using a basic vcr nothing fancy and rca video jacks. I got good results with the pio using it this was with the noise reduction and it did soften my picture up a little but it helped with noise reduction as too that is why I use the dr 1000 to sharpen the image a little so to get some detail back. Ok now using the same setup with the toshiba dr 550 it had way to much noise in the end result and it also had a little more detail in the picture and was about the same bit rate as the pio. So I had to go back to the drawing board cause the video was too noisy looking. So I tried to use the dr1000 with a little less sharpening and it still came out with too much noise. So I took it out of the chain and it gave me almost the same result as what my pioneer did. I was pretty much pleased for what it did quality wise and was almost as good as the pioneer but I was wanting to try a Magnavox from walmart that was about 50.00 cheaper then the toshiba. The magnavox is a ZC352MW8 Ok well I got one too try it out and it has more recording options then the toshiba. It has 1,2,2.5,3,4,6,8 hour mode recording. I tried it with the same setup AVT 8710-signvideo procamp- dvd recorder and I got the same good results as with the toshiba and also the same bitrate as well and the picture quality looked the same on both units. I even copied both of the dvd's from both machines onto my pc and then took both files and burned to a new dvd and watched them on my tv's as well as my 19 in lcd moniter and they looked good on all and you could not tell the difference between the two. So it all came down to decide what one I wanted to keep and take back. I came down to this the Toshiba has a fan and the Magnavox has a spot in the back to make it look like it has a fan but it does not cause I took the top off to check. I like the fact that the Magnavox has more recording modes but I mostly use only 2 hour anyways. I have used ritek 4x g04, Ritek dvd+r 16x , Verbatim 8x and 16x dvd-r on both machines and they both burn them really good with no problems. So if anyone is looking at either machine both will give the same results pretty much just different options between the two recording wise. Thanks too all you guys such as lordsmurf and others that help with all this.
    Eric
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is what my set up was. AVT 8710-Signvideo dr1000-Signvideo procamp-dvd recorder 2 hour mode.

Can you explain that? Like what does it mean....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BrokenOne
    Here is what my set up was. AVT 8710-Signvideo dr1000-Signvideo procamp-dvd recorder 2 hour mode.

Can you explain that? Like what does it mean....
    The AVT-8710 is a Full Frame TBC aka Time Base Corrector

The Sign Video DR1000 is a video noise reduction unit.

The Sign Video Proc Amp is a video Proc Amp.

DVD recorder 2 hour mode means he used the 2 hour recording mode on the DVD recorder

Website for the AVT-8710 ---> http://www.avtoolbox.com/avt8710.shtml

Website for Signvideo ---> http://www.signvideo.com/

There is a sub section of the forum called, "RESTORATION" and you will find discussions of this type of equipment there.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    One of the better places to buy equipment of this type (including the AVT-8710) would be B&H PHOTO VIDEO
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the explaination. I will check into that.
    Quote Quote