VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This is a basic question, I know. I have a nice hard drive to record shows, but I don't know what I need to buy and hook up to it to transfer them to DVD. I guess it's a burner, but I'm a newbie at this, obviously. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    In what format are those shows?

You need a dvd writer and a dvd conversion/authoring software like simple tools like convertxtodvd, dvd flick or if you want more advanced dvd menus tda, nerovision, ulead dvd workshop.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It depends of what you want as a final format. You can just burn them as DVD data discs if you just want playback on the PC. ImgBurn or most any burning program can do that. Yes, you will need a DVD burner. But they cost less the $30US most times, so not a big expense.

Or you could convert them to DVD. ConvertXToDVD is one simple program for that. Freeware, try FAVC. Use ImgBurn to burn.

Or you could convert them the Xvid/Divx with a program like AutoGK. There are quite a few set top Divx players available.

Lots of other methods and formats, depending on what you want to do.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I just want to transfer shows/movies on the hard drive to DVD-R. I'm not sure I am answering the question you are asking. I want to be able to play them on a regular DVD player. I don't care about putting menus on it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Then you want ConvertXtoDVD($50) or DVD Flick(free) or FAVC(free). Those create dvd-video that works on regular dvd players.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I didn't think I needed a software program. I want to hook up a burner (I guess) to my DVD recorder (with built in hard drive) and transfer stuff off of it to DVD. Isn't that the easiest way? What do I need? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have standalone hdd recorder with shows? Or the shows on your computer hdd?
    Quote Quote  
  8. It's a standalone connected to my TV. No computer involvement.
    Quote Quote  
  9. You need blank DVDs that are compatible with your standalone and a little time to read the manual that came with it.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does the OP have a standalone DVD recorder (with an hdd and a DVD read-write drive in the same unit) or does he in fact have a DVR (hdd only)? Because of some of the questions he asked, it sounds to me like there is a small chance that there is no DVD drive in his recording device, and he is calling it by the wrong name.

If he had a DVR not a DVD recorder, then I would recommend he search the forums regarding that topic and learn what he can from other threads before asking more questions. If he has a DVD recorder, then telling him to read the manual is about all I could advise as well. If he needs advice on which brand of DVD to buy, Verbatim tends to be compatible with more DVD burners than other brands, although Taiyo Yuden is also very good.
    Quote Quote  
  11. With the info they gave it's hard to tell what it is. If they read the manual and give us more info we can help them out. Until then all we can do is guess.
    Quote Quote