VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a videographer friend who needs to provide a PAL DVD to a customer in Italy. His DV tape is NTSC. His question is: Does Premiere Pro do a good job of outputting PAL mpeg from an NTSC DV tape source? I haven't used Premiere so I don't have a good answer for him.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sony Vegas can be a better option for what you want. I don't use Premiere at all, but it seems according to some experts around here that Vegas does a great JOB. My own experience: I ripped one of my own NTSC DVDs last year, running at 23,976 and rendered in Vegas as PAL 25. The result was quite perfect. Same for videos running at 29,97. Anyway, Vegas is good but AviSynth is better (it is freeware too) since that application works with scripts and doesn't make any color space convertion at all (example: video is generally YUV and Vegas works in RGB). Please note that many color space convertions can hurt your video and the result is BAD video banding anyone can notice (a workaround for this is dithering the video with granularity, more brightness and contrast, color, etc.). Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are better alternatives than Premiere Pro for this type of conversion, since the source is NTSC DV.
    Canopus ProCoder - if you can afford it - seems to do the best "overall" job with DV material.
    Quote Quote