VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have an Eliet k7S5a M/B and need to replace the PSU [as some of you will already know!].

My M/B has a 20 pin ATX connector, but all PSU's I've seen lately are 24 pin.

I've seen a couple of PSU's that are described as 20[+4] pin, are these compatible with both 20 and 24 pin M/B's?

Many thanks,
    Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Yes, with the 20+4 PSUs you can remove the extra 4 pins.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks.

Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can also purchase 24 pin to 20 pin adapters for compatibility with older motherboards.

some PSUs do have a option to remove the 4 extra pins on the 24 pin and re-attach if required at a later date (if you upgrade your MB for example thats uses 24 pins).

some PSUs will be only 24 pin but do come with a supplied adapter as mentioned above.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FSP makes a PS that has the 4 pin CPU, 20 pin and another 4 pin connector. The extra 4 pin connector does not attach to the 20 pin connector, you plug the 20 pin in to the first 20 and plug the 4 pin into the remaining 4 if your mobo requires it (won't boot if you don't)...indexed and marked to prevent big blue spark type mistakes.
    Quote Quote  
  6. 20+4 connector

The 4 part slides into a slot on th 20 pin part.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The FSP has the 4 pin on a seperate line...not bundled with the 20 pin. I guess that could help with cable management if you did not need to utiilize the 4 pin. There is also no mechanical connection between the two...just plug to 4 pin in after the 20.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks again chaps.
    W.
    Quote Quote