VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a 900mb avi and I'd like to somehow convert it to a 700mb vcd. I'm sure some of you are already scoffing at my question, and I don't really blame you, as I'm sure this question has an obvious answer. Up until I sold my computer last week, I've been burning dvds, but I'm now stuck with vcds as my only option, and I'm not too familiar with them.
    Back to the question, I know I can split it in two, but I only want to do that as a last resort. I've tried TMPG with KVCD templates, and only by using KVCD ULBR have I come close to 700mb. Actually, I was able to burn the vcd, but for some reason it had no sound. (I think I might have accidently cut that out somewhere during the conversion)
    Other then getting the vcd with no sound, the closest I've come is about 850mb, so I'm in need of some help. Hopefully one of you has an answer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    vcd is constant bitrate encoding only. the number of mbs it turns out to be depends only on the amount of time the avi runs. use a bitrate calc to determine the size of your output. if you need the numbers click on the "what is vcd" in the upper left of this page.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can burn up to about 820 Mb on a Standard VideoCD. Mode 2.
    Nero does this automatically.

But for Standard, your runtime limit is about 80 min. / per film.
    So this will be a problem, as most films are longer.

Wish you luck.
    Quote Quote  
  4. There's nothing to stop you from making a non-standard VCD for your personal use. Just be aware that it may not play properly in all VCD players.

In TMPGEnc Plus select the VCD template from the project wizard. Before encoding the video press Settings then select the System tab. Change the Stream Type to "MPEG-1 Video-CD (non-standard)". Then go to the Video tab and set Bitrate to whatever you need to fit the movie on the CD. Use a bitrate calculator to determine the correct bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Suggestion: 3 B-frames per P frame, max GOP length = 24 or 28 frames,
    quantize matrix = MainConcept / QLB1.2 / Kwag's Notch, CQ = 60%~70%,
    min bitrate = 0, max bitrate = 3000kbps@352x480/576 or 4000kbps@480x480/576.
    Encode audio and video separately, add the "MPEG-1 VCD" flag during the multiplexing.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Is there some overriding reason it must be a VCD?

I think other formats, such as DivX, Xvid, and Nero Digital could shrink your file easily to one CD with little or no noticeable loss of quality. All would play on a computer via various players, such as VLC.

Most such recodings would play on newer DVD players, too. Nero Digital's proprietary format --MP4 video/AAC audio-- plays on only a limited number of players, mostly from www.avayon.com in the US. However, even Nero Digital can be converted easily to Divx/Xvid/AVI via MP4Cam2AVI.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CobraPilot
    Is there some overriding reason it must be a VCD?

I think other formats, such as DivX, Xvid, and Nero Digital could shrink your file easily to one CD with little or no noticeable loss of quality. All would play on a computer via various players, such as VLC.

Most such recodings would play on newer DVD players, too. Nero Digital's proprietary format --MP4 video/AAC audio-- plays on only a limited number of players, mostly from www.avayon.com in the US. However, even Nero Digital can be converted easily to Divx/Xvid/AVI via MP4Cam2AVI.

Yeah, I need it to be a vcd, because it's for my sister, and all her dvd player plays is dvd's, cd's, mp3's, vcd's and possibly svcd's. For the record though, I finally did get it working. I was able to get the avi down to a 630mb mpg without sound. I then extracted the sound from the original avi, joined the video and audio together, burned the vcd, and gave it to my sister this morning.

Thanks for the responses everyone.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Glad you got it working, but man, if you got that down to 630 MB, it probably is a really ugly VCD with macroblocks everywhere. Nobody else mentioned it, but you can also burn VCDs to 90 minute CD-Rs. The 90 minute CD-Rs violate CD-R standards and you'll have to mail order them to get them, but it is doable. Almost all devices I've tried can play them correctly and most burners can burn them correctly, although if using Nero you'll have to use Overburning with the right settings to do it. There are even 99 minute CD-Rs too, but I don't recommend them as few burners can burn them correctly and the gap between the pits may be too narrow for good playback. All bets are off with the 99 minute CD-Rs.
    Quote Quote