VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Like the topic says, I'm intersted in merging two AVI's together into one. I had been using "AVI MPEG RM WMV Joiner", but it only works on about 1 out of 5 times. The errors I get are it either doesn't recognize the video file or the two files are different and can't be joined.

I'm interested in something that is not very complicated to learn to use. And if it handled other typse of media that would be great as well since I'm bound to run into others. I'm currently using ConvertXtoDVD for conversion and ImgBurn for actually burning. In the seraches Ive done, it seems like you need to have like 3 programs to split audio/video, re-encode it and then merge it back together. What have you used and would recommend?

Thank you!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On this occasion I would go with one of Baldrick's favourites. alltoavi.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It says it's for WIN32, anyone know if this will run fine in Vista 64bit?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use AVI Demux 2.4 for joining.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you are merging two avis such as a split movie, this can now be done in ConvertXtoDVD 3 by right clicking on the title and bringing up the merge function. It works very well and you can't detect where the split was once the title is converted to DVD....
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Or you can use Virtualdub.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dfisher052
    Or you can use Virtualdub.
    never
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And why is that? I use Virtualdub or Virtualdubmod all the time to combine avi's with great success.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dfisher052
    And why is that? I use Virtualdub or Virtualdubmod all the time to combine avi's with great success.
    Don't take me wrong, is only my opinion, because :

- it gives you VBR pop-up messages that is annoying for a newbie user ( gosh, what's this ???? )
    - only vfw codecs are visible to Vdub, so you need that to open video files, otherwise it crashes
    - it is very, and I mean very harsh with a minimum audio differences, and crashes

For that reasons I say that this is the worst method to join, by far

I didn't tried AVI Demux, if they say that is good.....stick with it, I don't know what that is

For me, AVIMux-Gui is the best tool

You load a very crappy MP3 source with bad chunks, I mean delays, and it clears that. MediaInfo doesn't give you the right delays for MP3...at least my version, maybe someone who understand this can check this out and confirm. I have version 0.7.4.5, but I also tried new ones

great job, really from Alexander Noe

Is easy, just check for garbage in MP3 and remove...

I have 2 joins methods in here :

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/AVI2ISO/1191447822/1

1) join at once

can give errors, and fails a lot with different sources, is mostly used for complete movie parts, i.e., CD1 and CD2...

it can fix MP3 garbage, or AC3 if they are added alone

2) join jobs

it applies Alexander noe garbage removal algorithm, it authors all together in a single DVD, it joins potatoes and carrots in a single DVD

supports jobs and batch encodings using :

- CCE SP1
    - CCE SP2
    - QuEnc
    - FreeEnc
    - HCEnc
    - VSO ConvertXtoDVD at least version 2.2.3.258
    - FFMPEG

----
    not finished yet, no...is only beta
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I didn't konw ConvertXtoDVD had a new relesase, so I'll probably check that out, but I'm going to try the others as well. I guess ti never hurts to have some experience with other apps in case one doesn't work.

@Delta2: I also got the AVIMux-GUI and will give that go, but I was curious about the second program you listed - AVI2ISO. Is taht for making an ISO? ISn't that different than a DVD cd?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DVDNewb

@Delta2: I also got the AVIMux-GUI and will give that go, but I was curious about the second program you listed - AVI2ISO. Is taht for making an ISO? ISn't that different than a DVD cd?
    it is just the name of the program, you can convert only elementary streams, make a DVD, or a DVD image (ISO)

You must be aware of joining methods of that program, you can't join different types in the normal way...it will fail, or you can have audio problems, whatever. But with complete movies with CD1 and CD2 parts...works just like any other muxing tool

You must use JOBS and JOIN JOBS with movies totally different, such as episodes or sort of, which authors all together. The normal join sometimes works, sometimes not.

It works differently and acts differently, unlike most of AIO tools around, and you must adjust your profile....or you will stuck to basic interface...without jobs and a lot of other features
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I was able to get the original joiner I was using to work - seems I was missing a codec and so the files were not being recognized. I still am interested in learning these other programs tho.

I was able to join my files in AVI-Mux-Gui. It took me a few tries ending up with a file that had two audio streams attached to it, but I finally figured what to do.

For AllToAVI, I tried the merge plugin, but it would not work. The final output file would not play - no audio nor video?? And I used the same two split files as I did in AVI-Mux above.

@guns1inger: I think I'm doing something wrong in Avidemux. I opened part1 then hit the "Append" option to add the second part. Then I went File>Save and gave the output a new name. The video looked fine, but no sound came out. Am I missing a step? On the left hand side Video/Audio/Format were left as Copy/Copy/AVI.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Post a g-spot of the file
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for the delay, below is the g-spot file for both CD1 and CD2. I was able to get these merged in the original program I was using and in AVI-Mux-Gui, but I could not get them mereged in AllToAvi or Avidemux. I'd like to learn how to do it in both or what I was doing wrong for future reference. Thanks!

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unless there is a corruption in the file or a problem with your codecs for playback, I can't see any reason for AVIDemux to now like joining these two halves. Are you using the latest version ?

Do the halves play back on your system before joining ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Both playback fine seperately. I'm using version 2.4.1 (r3791) which I got directly from the site. Maybe my steps are wrong, this is what I am doing:

-Start Program
    -got to FILE>OPEN> <elect cd1.avi>; pop-up says "Packed Bitsream Detected, Do you want me to unpack it?"
    -I answer "NO"
    -FILE>APPEND> <select cd2.avi>; psame pop-up as before comes up and I answer "NO"
    -FILE>SAVE>Save Video; A window opens and asks for the Name: and at the bottom there is a drop down where I choose "*.avi" and then OK/ENTER
    -Window pops up saying you may need smart copy, enable it? Yes/NO. I choose YES.
    -Next window poips up and says Q factor - "4". I leave it as is and hit YES/OK to move on.
    -Encoding window pops-up and begins working.

Okay... Video is fine, and where it joins if perfect, but still no sound. After naming the output file the last time, it just began encoding - I was never asked anything about smart copy.

I did have a couple more questions: What is Smart Copy? What is a packed bitstream? and what is the Q Factor?

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try unpacking it. It won't hurt the file, and some players don't like packed bitstreams anyway. I use 2 for smart rendering, but that's a personal choice.

Mpeg 4 video is compressed across a group of frames (or pictures, hence the term Group Of Pictures, or GOP). There are different types of frames in the GOP, including I frames, which contain a complete image, and B and P frames, which contain only what has changed since the last I frame. In Divx/Xvid, there can be 300 frames between each I frame. if you cut the video between I frames, you remove the reference point for the B and P frames when the data is uncompressed. To fix this problem, the affected GOP must be re-encoded. A program without Smart Rendering will re-encode the entire video to do this, which takes time and risks degrading the whole video. Smart Rendering only encodes the GOP in question, which is generally less than a few seconds worth. To make the encoding simple for the user, a Constant Quality encode is done, with the actual quality set by the Q Factor. The smaller the number, the closer to the original quality the encoding will be (and consequently, the higher the bitrate). 3 - 4 will be pretty close. 2 will be closer again, and 1 will be identical. As it is only a few frames, it doesn't matter too much what you use.

Because of the nature of B and P frames (some are based on the previous I frame and changes since, some look to the next I frame and changes up to then), joining two clips seamlessly also requires some slight re-encoding, hence the need for Smart Rendering in AVI Demux for the join.

The steps you have describe3d seem sound and appropriate. Post a g-spot of the file after joining and lets see what's in that.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't quite make it out. Tired old eyes.
    On those gspot posts, is one audio stream 40,000Hz and the other 48,000Hz?
    Can't be right. Must be me.

Edit: Interesting. The image in the post seems to show the left one as 48,000Hz, but when you click on the image to get the enlargement, it seems to show the left as 40,000Hz and the right one as 48,000Hz.
    Quote Quote  
  19. @DVDNewb:

If your system specs are correct, 64-bit Vista still has some compatibility issues with avidemux.

In addition, there was a fix for AC3 audio in r3815, and you are using r3791:

Changelog:
    3815 02 Mar 2008 mean [Avi] AC3/DTS fix for windows vista

Actually, the newest version is r3872. http://www.razorbyte.com.au/avidemux/

@pcspeak, If i click to enlarge, both look like 48,000 to me
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow... I'm still digesting the information you posted there, it's apprecaited btw!

As for the problem I was having, I made two merged files - one keeping the packed bitstream and one unpacked. Both still were not giving me audio, only video. So I did a couple Gspot files for each (test.avi is packed bitstream and test2.avi is unpacked).

The funny thing is, I decided to try playing them in VLC and they worked!!! They just don't give audio in Windws Media Player. Can you tell anything from the gspot files as to why this is? The original halves both worked in media player. Another thing is when I did the second merged file, I didn't get the question about using smart copy or the q factor, but I did the first time arond??!? I'm confused as to why this comes up and then doesnt - I guess I shouldn't worry about it, but Im curious.

Anyways, Thanks again for the help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VLC uses it's own codecs. WMP requires the correct system codecs be installed. Something is missing in the system for AC3 playback. Vista 64 may limit your options somewhat. Installing a third party DVD player such as PowerDVD or WinDVD should enable AC3 in WMP. Otherwise it would normally be AC3 Filter or FFDShow. Work out which will work with Vista 64 and try it out.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does VLC playback in AC3? If so, I can stick with that since the program has always worked just fione for me.

I have AC3 Filter installed, but it doesn't seem to be working. It lets me go into tthe offline configuration, but doesn't work when a movie or music is palying - like it used to. I tried Windows Media Player again and the error details give me this:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file (or cannot play either the audio or video portion of the file) because the -0010-8000-00AA00389B71} codec is not installed on your computer."

I can't seem to locate which codec is needed via google. any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FFDShow is the only other suggestion at the moment.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @PCSPEAK: Both are 48,000. I see what you mean in the images though - I checked the original image.

@PDR: MY specs are up to date, so I'll update to the latest version and see if that doesn't fix my problem.

I'll give the updated version of the program a try and also FFDShow. Guns1inger, thanks again for all the help!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SWEET! I updated Avidemux and tried rejoining the files. What do you know?? It worked! WMP is able to play the video AND audio now =). Thanks for the help ... all of you!
    Quote Quote