VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do people in Europe use Hotmail? Is it available in Europe? I have been contacted by someone who claims to be in Germany and they are using a Hotmail e-mail address. MSN Hotmail Europe likely or not?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Regarding the hotmail outage this week...

"Among the countries where users reported difficulties using Hotmail from 11.15am GMT yesterday were the US, the UK, Finland, the Netherlands, France, the Czech Republic, and Honduras."
    Matters of great concern should be taken lightly.
    Matters of small concern should be taken seriously.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The root of all evil träskmannen's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by videobread
    Do people in Europe use Hotmail? Is it available in Europe? I have been contacted by someone who claims to be in Germany and they are using a Hotmail e-mail address. MSN Hotmail Europe likely or not?
    Of course not. That would require internet access and that hasn't come to Europe yet. It is planned to be introduced in September 2013.
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it's everywhere.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, some use hotmail.com but there is also hotmail.co.uk. However, most only use it as a spam dump and have a proper POP email address supplied by their ISP. I use a hotmail account to register on any websites that may end up sending me spam or supplying my email address to other spam sources. At least then it is only Microsofts servers that get clogged with rubbish and not the ISPs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    However the EU is suing Microsoft for including an email reader in their email service as they feel it limits the ability for people to use their own reader with the service. In future there will be a special EU only version that contains no email reader at all, for people who don't really want to use it anyway.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

yeah EU fell in love with Microsoft !!!!
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do people in Europe use Hotmail?
    Yeah, we do.
    We also use knives and forks, manners and deodorant.

Believe it or not!
    Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Portugal is in Europe, I think

And I use a lot Hotmail, so what's the problem ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Of course and Hotmail is available in Europe! In the matter of fact, if you don't know enough about PCs, you may end up with a hotmail account to gain access to MSN.

As far as I know, no friend of mine trust Hotmail. Personally, I don't have an account.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Will Hay
    Do people in Europe use Hotmail?
    Yeah, we do.
    We also use knives and forks, manners and deodorant.

Believe it or not!
    Will
    The latter two are something of a generalisation, methinks!

Knives and forks are used in this part of the world, too. Just not at the same time.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In the Netherlands it is one of the most popular if not the most popular email provider. MSN is the dominant IM programm here, and thus hotmail and live accounts are automaticly created.
    Touchy sensitive dude :D.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks. I was interested in the likelihood of people in Europe using hotmail. I did not know if Europeans had some local free services that they were using. I did not know that MSN was that popular in Europe. All we hear in our press in trouble with Microsoft and the EU.

Typical VH responses to a legitimate question. Some helpful. Some off the wall. Some just ignorant. In the US we hear stories about Europe being dirty, shared bathrooms in hotels, people don't use deodorant, women don't shave their legs,etc. I have not been to Europe and have no first hand experience. I assume you are clean people and use knives and forks like we do and already have internet access.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hear stories about Europe being dirty, shared bathrooms in hotels, people don't use deodorant, women don't shave their legs,etc.
    That's France.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey videobread,

I normally watch "Cops" to have a glimpse of how the United States is, it is interesting you say you know nothing about Europe. Books, and television, used as tools, can teach about other cultures.
    No tengo miedo a la muerte. Solo significa soñar en silencio. Un sueño que perdura por siempre. ..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    . In the US we hear stories about Europe being dirty, shared bathrooms in hotels, people don't use deodorant, women don't shave their legs,etc..
    I've not heard those stories in 10-15 or more years now,
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  17. About the hairy legs...

This is probably way out of date, but 35 years ago I was an innocent abroad. It was early spring, didn't see a girl in a skirt until I was in the restaurant at the Alpen Hotel in Innsbruck. The waitresses had uniforms with short skirts.

A pretty waitress comes over to take our order. I, um, noticed her (VERY HAIRY, I mean hairy) legs and did a double-take. I'm afraid my astonishment showed. I was very embarrassed. :P

[EDIT] At that time, yeah, it was common for there to be shared bathrooms in the cheaper hotels and hostels. At least in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have touched beatiful, soft hairy women legs, and I loved it.
    No tengo miedo a la muerte. Solo significa soñar en silencio. Un sueño que perdura por siempre. ..
    Quote Quote  
  19. What's wrong with sharing bathrooms? We do it at home.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hotmail is comparable to gmail in functionality and language support.
    If you set up your preferences you can use it in your own language no matter where you live.
    Recently I downloaded their Windows Live Mail application and it allows you to have your mails locally on your PC.
    Gmail is more flexible as you can use your mail client of preference to set up POP3 or IMAP account. With yahoo for example you have to be plus or premium member to be able to use pop3 and smpt from your mail software.
    Windows Live Mail gives you also your own language menus which is neat.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nwo
    hear stories about Europe being dirty, shared bathrooms in hotels, people don't use deodorant, women don't shave their legs,etc.
    That's France.
    I've never understood the [generalised, particulaly Hollywood] US hatred of the France.
    Wondeful people, if you make an effort.
    W.
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Abbadon
    Hey videobread,

I normally watch "Cops" to have a glimpse of how the United States is, it is interesting you say you know nothing about Europe. Books, and television, used as tools, can teach about other cultures.
    He asked if Hotmail is being used in Europe. Personally, I think it is a pretty valid question. Because of long absence from my native country, I asked a childhood friend if they already have Starbucks over there.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edong
    Hey videobread,

He asked if Hotmail is being used in Europe. Personally, I think it is a pretty valid question. Because of long absence from my native country, I asked a childhood friend if they already have Starbucks over there.
    I am not replying his question, but because he made a comment about not knowing a few things about Europe, I shared with him a little trick I use for actually learning about places I cannot visit or will not be able to visit.

In order to understand the context, and the reason of my post, you need to see the big picture, not only the question he asked, but why the question was made. He ignores a few things, so in order to fill the blank spaces, people can use their own skills, or the advice of others to reach a certain level of understanding of things beyond them.

If you still cannot get a grasp of the humor inside my message to him, read the whole thread, again and again, till you do, and try to get out of the little bubble you live in.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edong
    Hey videobread,

I am not replying his question, but because he made a comment about not knowing a few things about Europe, I shared with him a little trick I use for actually learning about places I cannot visit or will not be able to visit.

In order to understand the context, and the reason of my post, you need to see the big picture, not only the question he asked, but why the question was made. He ignores a few things, so in order to fill the blank spaces, people can use their own skills, or the advice of others to reach a certain level of understanding of things beyond them.

If you still cannot get a grasp of the humor inside my message to him, read the whole thread, again and again, till you do, and try to get out of the little bubble you live in.
    "it is interesting you say you know nothing about Europe"

Come on now, you're putting yourself to a deeper hole with your post
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's not surprising that SOME residents of the US know little about Europe, they know very little about the next State to the one they live in. I deal with the US regularly and it used to amaze me how insular some were. But, when you consider that 70% of US citizens do not hold a passport (and of those that do, a good proportion only have one because they once went to Canada or Mexico for a holiday), many consider Europe to be a country and this isn't helped when their own President seems to have difficulty with international geography.

But, it isn't limited to Americans, it happens on a smaller but similar scale over here. Most Londoners seem to think anywhere outside the M25 is a foreign country (one that only the Brits will understand).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Richard_G
    It's not surprising that SOME residents of the US know little about Europe, they know very little about the next State to the one they live in. I deal with the US regularly and it used to amaze me how insular some were. But, when you consider that 70% of US citizens do not hold a passport (and of those that do, a good proportion only have one because they once went to Canada or Mexico for a holiday), many consider Europe to be a country and this isn't helped when their own President seems to have difficulty with international geography.

But, it isn't limited to Americans, it happens on a smaller but similar scale over here. Most Londoners seem to think anywhere outside the M25 is a foreign country (one that only the Brits will understand).
    When I was a young and innocent brat, I was reading the experiences of a foreign student in the United States, he recounted with amazement how many other fellow US students knowledge was limited to their particular country or region, even some of them considered, after learning from him, ancient cultures such as Maya, Inca, and Mesopotamian a work of Science Fiction. I could not understood this until I experienced this myself.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Before I moved to the US some years ago, I used to be really on the ball with global current affairs.

But now, I feel I live in a bubble - I have no idea what's going on in the world (unless it is something that has direct relevance to the US. You know, "A US citizen died today in <horrific event>." - no mention of the 1000 other people).

The news media here are dreadful. There isn't a single mainstream news program that I find credible. There are four places on TV that I do get news:

BBC America (praise be that they have begun airing Newsnight - so refreshing)
    LINK TV
    The Daily Show
    The Colbert Report

The latter two are satirical current affairs programs and - sadly - a true source of information.

Luckily, I'm just a few clicks away from a world full of news websites.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My original question was legitimate. I was contacted by someone on craigslist.org claiming to be from Germany. Craigslist.org has a reputation of scams, phishing and more. The person who contacted me was using a hotmail address and had a western sounding name - Jennifer. It all smelled fishy to me. I just wanted to know the likelihood, percentage wise, of a hotmail account coming from Germany. I got my answer. Hotmail is popular in Europe. I did not know that. I do know that Bill Gates and the EU are at odds and Bill was just fined over a billion dollars. I really thought that there must be some local free service in Europe that people use. I have not gone through with the transaction. Jennifer stopped communicating when I asked for a fax number/phone number.

The Internet is a tough place to do business. I have been contacted by Nigerians who wanted me to ship a large order DHL COD. Anything from Nigeria is a scam. People who want to wire money to my account. Phishing for bank account info. People who want to pay me with money orders. Phony money orders are a current problem. They take 3-4 weeks to actually clear. First the money shows up in your bank account and then 3 - 4 weeks latter the bank tells you the money order was fake. There are currently a lot of fake US Postal Money Orders. I use PayPal or just wait a long time for checks to clear before I ship.

I always get good info on VH. It is a great resource that I have been using since 2003. If you are new, be aware that you need to install a BS filter to use this site. Your answer is always there but, you have to filter through all the varied responses and opinions.

The internet has changed the world. I think it the greatest advance of civilization since the printing press - and it's just getting started. People all over the world chose to be ignorant.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are right to be suspicious, and in this case, your suspicions were correct. A hotmail account wouldn't arouse any worries for me, but Jennifer in Germany would. It is a common name in English speaking countries, so could be in the UK, but it isn't common in Germany. I wouldn't think twice about a customer using a hotmail (either .com or .co.uk), probably 50% of people do. Most will have a POP email account as well supplied by their ISP but not all POP accounts are accessable from any computer so hotmail is popular. My daughter has a POP email address but uses hotmail most of the time because she can access it from work.

The Nigerian scams are common the world over and so laughable I honestly cannot see how anyone can be stupid enough to think they are genuine. As are the phoney money order scams. Checking the IP address where some are sent from is interesting too.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I lost more than 800 Euros the last 8 years by dealing with American scams. So scams located everywhere. But those risks are part of the Internet. Of course, scams are usually outside USA/Canada/Australia and E.U.

In Europe, we use web based mails from Yahoo, Hotmail and Google. Yahoo and Google are far more popular Hotmail, but as I said, those who don't know much about PCs, may end up with a hotmail just to use MSN (which is far more popular here, than ICQ, AOL and Yahoo messenger).
    Quote Quote