VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I was just wondering if it was possible to burn mp3s onto a dvd-r as data and have it be read by a portable cd player? My philips expanium portable cd player can read any data/mp3 cd I throw at it so I just wondered if it was possible?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No - wrong media.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    No offense...
    but...
    I have not seen one of these in awhile
    And no, you can't get a cd burner to burn dvd media either :P
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    um, I have a dvd burner.

Try reading my post u elitist.
    Even if someone ask a question like that, this is a forum that's supposed to help people and not put them down.

K THNKS
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by majax79
    um, I have a dvd burner.

Try reading my post u elitist.
    Even if someone ask a question like that, this is a forum that's supposed to help people and not put them down.

K THNKS

I did read your post... you asked if you could play one format of disc on a diff. format disc player, IE: a dvd disc on a cd player

Lighten up
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    If I get I believe in giving.

I knew it probably wouldn't work but if my cd walkman will play a cd-r I figured perhaps there was some type of way of fooling it to believe that the dvd-r was a cd-r.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by majax79
    If I get I believe in giving.

I knew it probably wouldn't work but if my cd walkman will play a cd-r I figured perhaps there was some type of way of fooling it to believe that the dvd-r was a cd-r.
    Nope, basically a totally diff. laser to read dvd.
    Some standalone dvd players have 2 laser's & lenses to read both cdr & dvdr & some have one lens & 2 laser's to read both through the same lens, but unless it is made to read both, it won't.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To put it another way:
    The burned-in or stamped-in "holes" that make up the digital code in a DVD disk are much smaller than the "holes" in a CD. Therefore, a different wavelength of laser light is needed to read each type of disk.
    There are disk drives that have both kinds of lasers for reading the disks, and both kinds of lasers for burning both kinds of disks, but there is no way of "tricking" CD-burning software into thinking that a DVD disk is a CD disk.
    The two types of disks are manufactured differently, with code (burned with the appropriate-size "holes") that tells a CD/DVD burner what type of disk it is, and the "dye" in one type of disk cannot be effectively burned by the wrong wavelength of laser, if at all.
    Even if you could, there would be no advantage. The physical size of the "holes" would not make the DVD disk hold any more data that a CD disk could, since the two disks are the same physical size.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks so much for the information ebenton.
    Quote Quote