VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. im thinking of buying a PS3 for the Blu-ray capabilities and gaming all-in-one

Do Blu-Ray players in the PS3 upscale non high definition DVDs?

or would oi be better buying a Blu-Ray player?

ALSO - Can you get Blu-Ray players that playback DivX files?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by snadge
    Yes. And quite well from what I've read.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo
    Originally Posted by snadge
    Yes.
    whats the quality like? ive been reading reviews on expensive SAMSUNG and PIONEER BR players and they are saying upscaling aint that hot (I know its not SONY PS3 but just tryong to paint a picture)
    Quote Quote  
  4. (Note I added some text to my ealier post.)

Upscaling SD content does not make it high def. The best you can hope for is a little sharping and not to introduce too many artifacts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And you don't want to get any of the current Blu-Ray standalone players unless you know for sure they can/will be upgraded to the 2.0 spec. The last that I read, only the PS3 will be upgradable.

As for upconversion, you also need to take into account your TV. Most HD TV's convert all inputs to the screens native resolution, in which case an upconverting DVD player is irrelevant.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  6. Jagabo - I know its not True HD but its a lot better than not upscaling - my new toshiba dvd player upscales and the quality is excellent

Krispy Kritter - I know the TV's scale to native res but the it depends on your TV - I havent yet seen a HD-TV that upscales of the quality that some top end upscaling DVD players can - they seem to just 'stretch-to-fit' the image to screen whereas my DVD player gives a much clearer image and much sharper on its hi-res output on 720p

whats all this about Blu-Ray not playing all discs and compatability?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I've played a Stargate episode on both a PS3 and an Oppo 971H conected to the same HDTV. My family agrees that the Oppo looks better. Not much better, but it's noticeable.
    Quote Quote