VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That pretty much sums it up. i have a magnavox mwd7006 and it's a great player from what i can tell but it won't play my pal dvds. usually there is a firmware solution or at least a hack to fix this problem. Where could i find the firmware for this? Other people's players seem to play pal after the firmware is updated. i just can't find it. please let me know if you know where i can get it. thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    "Usually" does not mean "in every single case". A Google search would seem to indicate that there is no firmware "hack" for your model. Every player cannot be hacked and even players that can be hacked at one time will have hardware changes that will break these hacks on later models. It's best to find a player you are sure that can be hacked BEFORE you buy it rather than buy it first and hope for the best.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yes, i know. but i have seen references to a firmware hack for this model. if somebody could recommend a good player that plays everything i would appreciate it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by fnord333
    yes, i know. but i have seen references to a firmware hack for this model. if somebody could recommend a good player that plays everything i would appreciate it.
    A firmware "hack"....99% of the time.....only means that the player will ignore
    the REGION CODE on the disc. This alone does NOT mean that you will be able
    to watch the PAL disc on your NTSC television.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Oppo players are excellent at PAL playback.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yea, if i wanted to pay 169.00 for a player i know i could get one that plays everything. the thing is that i'm kind of spoiled. I'm used to buying apex players which ranged from 30-70.00 and they played everything fine. now apex is out of business because their dvd players were their only good products. i've been searching through what's left (coby n(ver buy a coby, theybreak in 10 minutes or less every time), magnavox (works fine but doesn't play pal, and i forget what others. if there is a really good player which will last forever even given my habit or watching around 20-30 movies a week (many in fast forward because i'm mainly into horror and most of them really aren't worth watching) then i'm willing to pay a bit more, but i have to know it's a damn good player before i shell out that much cash. is there anything on the market right now comparable to the old apex series? am i stuck buying quality products from now on? thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You get what you pay for most of the time. As nice as the APEX players were (and several other notable brands of cheap players), most of the cheap/slimline players aren't known for their longevity.

If you are wanting a budget player, then take a look at the Philips players.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote