VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi.

I'm not sure what I'm missing here. When I first downloaded DVD Shrink to my PC, it didn't work until I installed Nero. I can now burn things fairly easily on my PC, with the exception of some of the newer DVDs, but I'll leave that for another post.

Now, my sister wants to use DVD Shrink on her PC. I had her download DVD Shrink, and in the beginning, she used something called Cheetah, because it has a free trial, and she was able to burn DVDs just fine. Now her trial is up, and she doesn't want to purchase it, so I lent her my Nero disc to install. Installation seems fine, but she can no longer burn any DVDs. We uninstalled Cheetah already (the free trial which has expired).

I did a search in this website for "using Nero with DVD Shrink" and failed to understand what we're doing incorrectly.

In lay terms, can anybody let me know the correct procedure to doing this? I was going to suggest to her to uninstall DVD Shrink and Nero and re-install everything at once.

Thanks for your positive feedback.

Moe_B_Disc
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic283172.html
    I appreciate the link, but my question about making Nero work with DVD Shrink is nowhere to be found in that discussion. Most of the movies we want to burn are old releases, so my Nero and the last DVD Shrink update should work fine, as it did with many other movies that I've burned.

Moe_B_Disc
    Quote Quote  
  3. A better way would be to have the DVDShrink output burned to disc with ImgBurn. For burning, it's superior to Nero and it's FREE.

For backing up newer DVDs, DVDFab HD Decrypter is the way to go. It's constantly updated and also FREE.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try uninstalling DVD Shrink, then re-installing it. It should then find Nero. But ImgBurn is a better choice for burning, though Nero is simple as it can integrate with Shrink. And I don't think Nero 7 or higher will work with Shrink.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In the early days with Nero Version 4 and 5 you were able to use DVD Shrink and Nero together. In other words you Shrink your file and Automaticlly burn to disc. The Author of Shrink stopped updating the program and went to work for Nero (Ahead) and wrote Nero's Recode.
    If you use Shrink, store the file on Hardrive and then burn with Nero versions 6, 7 and 8.
    Hope this answers your Question

Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Here's a long, technical explanation as to why you might NOT want to use DVDShrink and Nero together:
    http://www.digital-digest.com/~blutach/pgcedit_guide/burning_with_pgcedit/burning_with...pgcedit_v2.htm
    Basically neither DVDShrink nor Nero put 32k gap blocks between BUPs and IFOs. What that means for you is that the entire reason that BUPs exist is to provide backup info in case an IFO block gets corrupted. Putting them in the same block means that if that block goes bad, your DVD is unreadable. It's a very effective way to defeat the entire reason that BUPs exist in the first place. Thanks Nero - not.

Granted the probability of this happening (that particular block going bad) is low, but it could happen. There is no logical reason to do this. The best method to use DVDShrink, which takes more time, is to use DVDShrink, then create an ISO with PgcEdit, then burn it with ImgBurn.

Never heard of Cheetah. For all I know it put some hooks into her PC that are preventing her from burning discs so that she would have to buy Cheetah to get things working again.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    Try uninstalling DVD Shrink, then re-installing it. It should then find Nero. But ImgBurn is a better choice for burning, though Nero is simple as it can integrate with Shrink. And I don't think Nero 7 or higher will work with Shrink.
    Didn't someone release a modded version of Shrink, that optionally calls ImgBurn for burning instead of Nero ?
    Or was I hallucinating . . . ?
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Seeker47
    Didn't someone release a modded version of Shrink, that optionally calls ImgBurn for burning instead of Nero ?
    Yes. But you have to really search for it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Seeker47
    Actually it uses ImgBurn in place of DvdDecrypter.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck
    Does that make sense ? Decrypter is a ripper (though you can burn via ISO Read ==> ISO Write), whereas ImgBurn is strictly for burning. I don't think any ripping is handled from inside Shrink.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck
    Does that make sense ? Decrypter is a ripper (though you can burn via ISO Read ==> ISO Write), whereas ImgBurn is strictly for burning. I don't think any ripping is handled from inside Shrink.
    Who said anything about ripping
    We/I was talking about the burning aspect...
    Makes perfect sense if you know....

The original shrink gives you the option of burning to dvdr with either nero or dvddecrypter if you have them both installed, then someone modded shrink to use imgburn instead of dvddecrypter to burn the final dvd file(s)....

Exactly what was being talked about and i just clarified it.

Can you hear me now ??
    Quote Quote