VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just bought a new MacBook today (2.1ghz core2duo). Its been a few years since i last used a mac. the last time i used a mac was os7 and 8 ( i wasnt kidding its been a while hehe). I have used OSX a few times but my question is What would you mac users install first?

There was a similar post about pcs a while back on this subject. But whats the best for the mac.
    Quote Quote  
  2. What do you want to do?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Final Cut Studio 2 would be a great start.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Im looking for mostly freeware/sharware programs. like quicksilver or other good apps for doing alot of things, though ill be mostly doing video encoding and picture related things. Also what tools are avalible on the mac for burning and ripping DVD's
    Quote Quote  
  5. i do most of the free/shareware stuff on my pc, so i don't really know of much mac programs. i hear most people use mac the ripper. haven't used it myself so i can't comment on it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well I don't use a mac and it isn't shareware but I have heard good things about ffmpegx.
    Donadagohvi (Cherokee for "Until we meet again")
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You would likely get more answers to Mac specific questions in our Mac Forum. Moving you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought a new MacBook today (2.1ghz core2duo). Its been a few years since i last used a mac. the last time i used a mac was os7 and 8 ( i wasnt kidding its been a while hehe). I have used OSX a few times but my question is What would you mac users install first?
    Kaugustino

1. You have Leopard 10.5 installed so get apps that are free/shareware/compatible. Start here : http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/leopard/

2. Best software for ripping is Mac The Ripper and DVD2oneX2 to shrink. My opinion

3. Best software for burning is Toast. My opinion

4. Best software to convert video is VisualHub. My opinion

5. But there are several other programs that will do.... I could go on and on.... It really depends on what exactly you want to do?

6. There are a ton of people here who know more than I do, so be specific.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MPEG Streamclip

ViddyUp

ffmpegX

Jubler (for editing subtitles)

These take care of most all of my transcoding needs. Also good to have:

VLC

If you don't feel like paying for Toast, Burnz is great (and cheap).

XLD (for conversion of audio only. Max is also good but doesn't work under Leopard.)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Go to macupdate.com and versiontracker.com to search for Mac apps and read user reviews.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks all for the suggestions. I will have OSX 10.5 on this mac, ill be mostly using it for video editing. so I will be loooking at getting final cut pro in a while. I already do alot of video editing on my windows machine so i know what to look for. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by Kaugustino
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I will have OSX 10.5 on this mac, ill be mostly using it for video editing. so I will be loooking at getting final cut pro in a while. I already do alot of video editing on my windows machine so i know what to look for. Thanks
    i don't believe you can get final cut pro by itself anymore, it only comes bundled in Final Cut Studio 2. you can get the academic version (which is the same as the retail version, except that you can not get the upgrade pricing when FCS 3 comes out) for about half the cost of the retail version off of ebay or from apple if you can prove that you're a teacher or student. i got mine from ebay. got FCS 2 for $600. when FCS 3 comes out i'll do the same.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a windows guy, but this site looks promising for the Apple fans.

http://osx.iusethis.com/
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin
    MPEG Streamclip

ViddyUp

ffmpegX

Jubler (for editing subtitles)

These take care of most all of my transcoding needs. Also good to have:

VLC

If you don't feel like paying for Toast, Burnz is great (and cheap).

XLD (for conversion of audio only. Max is also good but doesn't work under Leopard.)
    I second most of Rumple's suggestions.
    I deviate in using Title Lab and/or Subtitler instead of Jubler.
    And of late I have been using :

VisualHub for most transcoding over ffmpegx
    Quicktime Pro with Perian installed for lite flash transcoding
    engumm's (Merkonk's) excellent MoKgVm2DVD for transcoding MKV's to XVID
    iShowU with VLC or SWF&FLV Player to transcode "hard" stuff

Audio Hijack to re-capture audio
    Amadeus II to convert audio quickly

Adobe Photoshop still kicks ass to get Menus done

And of course FCStudio with FCP, Livetype, Compressor, DVDStudio Pro, and Soundtrack.

Hadn't had much need for, but still handy to have around:
    MTR
    DVD2ONEX
    ffmpegx
    D-Vision
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you bought an Apple, and expect a lot of freeware, you made a mistake.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    This made me chuckle, lordsmurf. The expense of buying a Mac already makes it obvious it isn't the right choice for those who are cheap. It is, though, the good choice for those who want quality applications which are reasonably simple and enjoyable to use. That, unfortunately, doesn't fit the description of most freeware.

I have several commercial video-related applications on my Mac. The only video apps that are freeware are VLC, MPEG Streamclip and, if you count donationware, MyDVDEdit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Frobozz
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    This made me chuckle, lordsmurf. The expense of buying a Mac already makes it obvious it isn't the right choice for those who are cheap. It is, though, the good choice for those who want quality applications which are reasonably simple and enjoyable to use. That, unfortunately, doesn't fit the description of most freeware.

I have several commercial video-related applications on my Mac. The only video apps that are freeware are VLC, MPEG Streamclip and, if you count donationware, MyDVDEdit.
    What I miss when using the Mac are all the utilities that make projects flow on the PC. This isn't a problem in a rigid project flow but in the more chaotic real world you need to fix or convert things. To do that you need to go back to the PC or Linux if you can handle that.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Frobozz

Fro, MpegStreamclip isn't freeware. More like Free to do everything but Mpeg-2 editing-ware.

for that you need the QT Mpeg-2 component ($20 US).
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote