VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am using CCE Basic to encode a bunch of AVI files frameserved through AviSynth (2-pass VBR, elementary stream). The problem is that when I open the resulting mpv file in any player (VLC, Nero ShowTime, Windows Media Player) the clip time is about half of what the clip actually is.

For example, a 50 second clip will be reported as 24 seconds in the player. The video plays correctly but the player slider stops at 24 seconds even though the video keeps playing for a full 50 seconds.

This is causing a problem in my authoring tool because it thinks the clip is only 24 seconds in the layout.

Encoding at CBR/System Stream works just fine but I would like to use VBR.

I read up on "dropped frame" timecoding and other timecode related articles but I still can't seem to get the timing right on encode. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  2. CCE is not the best audio encoder.

One option is to use the CBR/system, demux to get .mpv, and encode your audio separately with proper audio software.

The other possibility is that your AVI file has an error in it. Do all your AVI files end up with the same result?

Perhaps you could post your avisynth script?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    how about if you give that script ?

Add Info() to the end of your script...see it in WMP, and see the framecount

then what is the framecount that CCE recognizes ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The problem isn't with the audio encoding. The issue exists even when I don't encode the audio.

The issue is with the resulting .mpv video file. The length information in the .mpv file is incorrect.

My AviSynth script is extremely simple due to testing...

Code:
    AVISource("tape8raw.08-01-19_17-59.00.avi")
    Trim(16000,17500)
    This issue also occurs when encoding the raw AVI file.

The framerate on the AVI and resulting MPEG file is 29.97fps
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    add Info() to that script

and see it in WMP

the framecount should match those that CCE gives when converting
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep framecount is the same everywhere (29.97fps).

The conversion works fine when outputting CBR/System stream... It is just the VBR/elementary streams that has the problem. I think it is a timecode setting that I am not using correctly.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by binister

Yep framecount is the same everywhere (29.97fps).
    that's the framerate, I mean the total frames, it is the first line you see in WMP when you add Info to the script...something like FRAME X of Y

AVISource("movie.avi")
    Trim(xxx,yyy)
    Info()

when playing in WMP, frames Y is the total frames of the clip to be converted, and CCE must recognize it.....but it varies from CCE versions.....CCE SP2 makes Y*passes
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Total frame count that should be converted :

Trim(16000,17500) = 17500 - 16000 + 1 = 1501

Frames : 0 of 1501

CCE must convert 1501 frames
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by binister
    For example, a 50 second clip will be reported as 24 seconds in the player. The video plays correctly but the player slider stops at 24 seconds even though the video keeps playing for a full 50 seconds.
    There's nothing wrong with the CCE encoding. Almost all players report the wrong duration of mpv (m2v) streams. You write it yourself... you encode 50 seconds and the player plays 50 seconds. It only "says" something different.

What is wrong, is your authoring tool. This should report the proper 50 seconds. Try another authoring tool like e.g. DVDLab or a better free one.

Chris
    Quote Quote