VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hope you don't mind that I started a new thread about successful blu-ray backups. Just list the programs and methods you successfully encoded blu-ray discs, like that it's quicker and easier for the reader to find alternative options and choose which programs he wants use and which one works the best/quickest/easiest for his purpose.

I encoded the blu-ray ripped m2ts to:

- Xvid24bit/DTS(Master Track) avi one click encoding with Jake Ludington mod of VirtualDubMod, but only the Master DTS track is available.

- Xvid24bit/AC3(Master Track) avi the above followed by encoding(demuxing) the audio track and muxing it to the demuxed video. These steps take a few minutes.

- Xvid12bit/AC3(Any Track direct stream copy) avi one click encoding with MediaCoder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Blu-Ray to MP4/AVI Encoding Guide with MEGui (not one click encoding, just a few):
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic333634.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    From what I read, some people had successfully encoded the m2ts with TsRemux / AutoGK but it didn't work for me. TsRemux converts the m2ts to ts and AutoGK encodes the ts to avi.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In some cases (different BD discs) for some reason the master DTS-HD audio track won't work with the steps listed in the first post, but I managed to encode:

- Encoded the Video to XviD with the VDubMod
    - Demuxed the audio from m2ts with xport to mpa
    - Renamed the mpa to ac3
    - Encoded the ac3 with EAC3to to regular AC3
    - Muxed the XviD video and AC3 audio to AVI with VDubMod
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi I managed to do a backup of some of my Blu-ray titles to 1920x1080 avi with mp3 sound using tsremux and TMPGEnc XPress 4 only.
    However this does not work for all. With some I had to follow advice given on https://forum.videohelp.com/topic333634.html
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What are the best Xvid encoding settings to use when doing Blu-Ray to Xvid? I normally just change the BitRate to my liking and turn off Turbo and a few other options. But what about the "Quantizers" and "Rate Control" options?

I would also like my Xvids to to be compatible with most Set Top DVD players that support Divx and the Xbox 360 and PS3.

Thanks for any help
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello
    i have a question. When u encode mpeg 2 (720x480) to DivX (480x480), there is almost no lost in quality, so DivX is the mp3s of video. But what about Blue Ray? are you going to lose some resolution? from 1080p to 480p or a DivX ripped from Blue Ray have different characteristics to a DivX ripped from DVD?
    what i am evaluating is buying aBlue Ray DVD (still expensive) or wait to more backed BR.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, you will lose resolution if you go from 1080p to 480p...A 480p divx from a blu-ray or a dvd will look about the same so it's not worth to get a blu-ray if you are just going to make 480p divx.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The question is because i just bought a Sony Bravia 32". And im thinking in buy a blue Ray player, or just buy a HD upconverting DVD player. Wich one do you yhink is the best way to go?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Baldrick
    it's not worth to get a blu-ray if you are just going to make 480p divx.
    It is if you have a portable video player like the Archos. I'm still waiting out Blu-Ray until the prices come down, but when I do buy, I want to be able to continue doing with Blu-Ray as I do with DVD's and that is make them into XviDs/DivX files to place on my portable player for long plane or train rides.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tashidondrup
    The question is because i just bought a Sony Bravia 32". And im thinking in buy a blue Ray player, or just buy a HD upconverting DVD player. Wich one do you yhink is the best way to go?

Thanks in advance.

I would get a Blu-Ray player or a PS3 because it seems like Blu-Ray is here to stay since HD-DVD is dead. The PS3 has DVD Upscaling options and I would have to say upscaled DVD's do look nice but it's not worth running out and buying a DVD player that that has HD Upconverting. Save your money and get a Blu-Ray player.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Yes, you will lose resolution if you go from 1080p to 480p...A 480p divx from a blu-ray or a dvd will look about the same so it's not worth to get a blu-ray if you are just going to make 480p divx.
    No disrespect, but it's not totally true. Using a moderately low bitrate they will look very similar, yes indeed.

But if you keep trying higher and higher bitrates, the rate of quality gain from a DvD source will decrease much quicker than the rate of quality gain from a BD source. The quantizer can prove this theory too.

But the differences will really only begin to show in the very high bitrates so then it would defeat the purpose of using DivX then, so maybe Baldrick is still correct in an indirect way.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been reading to which way to take.

But since i have a 32" screen TV, some people say... it simply doesnt matter. Some people say that what are you using it matters from 38" screen Tv. I agree to that cause for example i can only see the difference from HD upscaling and normal component DVD when im very close to the TV, and the normal distance i usually use to watch the TV is around 10 or 12". I think the next time i will change my DVD is when a really CHEAP ONE have divx and blue ray and home theater, so u can have the best of both worlds. Now i think ill stick to my DVP642.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been reading to which way to take.

But since i have a 32" screen TV, some people say... it simply doesnt matter. Some people say that what are you using it matters from 38" screen Tv. I agree to that cause for example i can only see the difference from HD upscaling and normal component DVD when im very close to the TV, and the normal distance i usually use to watch the TV is around 10 or 12". I think the next time i will change my DVD is when a really CHEAP ONE have divx and blue ray and home theater, so u can have the best of both worlds. Now i think ill stick to my DVP642.

I have the same TV you have but it's the 26" model. and let me just say that blu-ray looks sooooo much better than a upscaled dvd. it's night and day

save your money and see where the market goes, and keep an eye out for a killer deal on a blu-ray combo system
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "I have the same TV you have but it's the 26" model. and let me just say that blu-ray looks sooooo much better than a upscaled dvd. it's night and day"

You now what it would be great, i f you can take some pictures with a tripod from a scene of a movie with HDupscaling and with blue ray.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "I have the same TV you have but it's the 26" model. and let me just say that blu-ray looks sooooo much better than a upscaled dvd. it's night and day"

You now what it would be great, i f you can take some pictures with a tripod from a scene of a movie with HDupscaling and with blue ray.
    if i had a camera i would but thats something you need to see first hand anyways. if you know someone that has a blu-ray player or ps3 have them bring it over to your house or buy a blu-ray player from costco or bestbuy and then retun it. but i think they charge a restocking fee. so think of it as a 30day rental, my friends do it all the time if they wanna check out something thats new
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's a BIG difference in quality btwn DVD or DVD rip XviD AND Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray Rip Xvid even on my 20'' 1680x1050 LCD monitor. The difference is like looking at a picture taken with a 1MP camera OR a 10MP camera. On my projector the difference btwn DVD and Blu-Ray is similar to the difference btwn a reg TV channel and an HD channel. All the Blu-Ray rips I made are full resolution 1920x1080 XviD 6Mbps encodings, I don't see the point of downsizing it to 720p or 480p because the quality gets lost no matter how much bitrate you use. Upon playback they look like 1 to 1 copy of the original BD disc and their storage size is 5-8GB per movie doesn't use up much space and it's quick access anytime watching clips or the whole movie without grabbing the discs and use them all the time. There's also a huge difference on CPU usage upon DB disc playback and AVI playback, saving electricity, PC components and non the less the Disc itself.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Im starting to see the light here.
    Another option is to download movies, xvid ones, ripped in full resolution, and burn them in a 8.5Gb DVD. Yesterday i downloaded a 720P Pixar studios shorts, and i was AMAZED. they look incredible in my 20" desktop Monitor. But when i tried them on my 32 TV, since my laptop is 600 Mhz LOL, she spit the HD video and was very ashamed of her rendering. I was wondering whats the max resolution a VGA cable can send to my TV?

because that can be another solution buying a decent laptop to play downloaded HD xvids from there, because if i burn that into a DVD what resolution is going to send to my TV (via DVD player 8.5gb DVD) Which one will be better?

Help me Obi Wan Kenobi...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The VGA (D-SUB 15pin) cable can send 1080p picture to the TV, it's really up to the TV if it can accept 1920x1080 signal or not. I have my projector connected to my PC with a VGA (D-SUB) cable, but you could use DVI, HDMI or Component cables to connect to the HD-TV, just make sure that the signal the PC is sending out is 1920x1080.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another option is to download movies, xvid ones, ripped in full resolution, and burn them in a 8.5Gb DVD. Yesterday i downloaded a 720P Pixar studios shorts, and i was AMAZED. they look incredible in my 20" desktop Monitor. But when i tried them on my 32 TV, since my laptop is 600 Mhz LOL, she spit the HD video and was very ashamed of her rendering. I was wondering whats the max resolution a VGA cable can send to my TV?

because that can be another solution buying a decent laptop to play downloaded HD xvids from there, because if i burn that into a DVD what resolution is going to send to my TV (via DVD player 8.5gb DVD) Which one will be better?

32" Sony Bravia S Series? supports up to 1366x768 for VGA
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by duff916

32" Sony Bravia S Series? supports up to 1366x768 for VGA
    Is M series but the only main difference is the contrast ratio, resolution is the same one.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK

i just bought a new laptop to watch the movies is the best solution i think
    i bought the Dell 1525 notebook with remote control, so it makes the job of a blue ray player in some sort of way

The laptop have a HDMI output connector, so i have a new question now...
    Which is better to watch movies in the TV, the HDMI or the VGA?

Which one have better resolution? :P
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    OK

i just bought a new laptop to watch the movies is the best solution i think
    i bought the Dell 1525 notebook with remote control, so it makes the job of a blue ray player in some sort of way

The laptop have a HDMI output connector, so i have a new question now...
    Which is better to watch movies in the TV, the HDMI or the VGA?

Which one have better resolution? :P

HDMI, it's digital. VGA is analog. Or try both and see what looks best to you and use that.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Feed the Blu-ray output directly into an Archos 704 or 605 or 705, and this nifty little machine will record directly into mpeg4 (Divx 4.0 on the fly), NTSC, or PAL, and no problems with interlace. No need for software or codecs to convert, the Archos is a self-contained Divx factory!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Stonechatz
    Feed the Blu-ray output directly into an Archos 704 or 605 or 705, and this nifty little machine will record directly into mpeg4 (Divx 4.0 on the fly), NTSC, or PAL, and no problems with interlace. No need for software or codecs to convert, the Archos is a self-contained Divx factory!
    um, I think you missed the point... this isn't a question on how to get to 480p, this is how to get a higher compression with 1080p or 720p. The archos will drop the 5.1, etc. and it only records in 640x480 format - a big jump down from 720p or 1080p. I am also curious as to what connections the device uses for its recording inputs - most likely it is limited to Svideo, so the recording would still be an upconversion of a 480i signal (in a perfect world).

What might work is the new Hauppauge 1212, it can take any analog HD signal and converts to h.264 in real time. The downside is that you have to go from Dig to Analog and back - so there will be a loss of fidelity. You'll still need to handle the audio separately, but this is a huge leap in hardware.
    Quote Quote