VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had so many problems and my laptop went slower and slower; so I replaced the harddisk to a bigger one (100GB) and add more memory (1.5 Gb) but my laptop is still going slower to the point that I actually can't do anything that I could do before with less memory and smaller disk.
    I tried anything I could deleted files, temp files cookies everything, antivirus, spybot, adware, scanned and defragged disk, but nothing helped.

What I do not understand is how come after defrag most of the disk showed bad sectors or low performance files, even where space is empty. I also have diskeeper and I used it as well, got the same bad sectors.

What can be the problem?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dying HDD. Defragging wont cause bad sectors unless there is a physical problem with the drive or mechanism. Google has tracked the life of thousands of drives in it's arrays, and it's numbers show that the most likely time for a disc to die is within the first three months of use. If it survives past this point it will generally run for years without issue. My experience with drives matches this pretty closely. Of the 5 drives I have had go bad, 3 were only a couple of months old, and the other two were pushing 6 years of almost constant use.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Agree completely with Guns, with some additional questions.

The statement "had so many problems" BEFORE the HD and RAM upgrade is very, very interesting. Did you have bad sectors suddenly appearing on the original HD? Any specifically HD-related issues? It is possible there is an HD-controller or power issue, need more information.

Are you sure the PC supports the amount and type of memory installed, and are these identical chips or a mixture?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you guys! I guess u r right.

Nelson: I had no bad sectors problem with the original HD; and since IBM laboratories installed the new disk and memory, I hope they know their job.

Anyway, thank you, I'm going to take my laptop back to IBM labs. (hate IBM !!!)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dmedina
    Thank you guys! I guess u r right.

Nelson: I had no bad sectors problem with the original HD; and since IBM laboratories installed the new disk and memory, I hope they know their job.

Anyway, thank you, I'm going to take my laptop back to IBM labs. (hate IBM !!!)
    Hopefully you weren't served with a "factory refurbished" parts.
    ("factory refurbished" is a marketing euphemism for a second hand, used, etc).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh well, for the price I paid, I hope I got a new product. I paid over $150 for the disk, which is a lot for a second hand disk (at least in my country..)
    Quote Quote