VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to make an exact copy of a DVD. I am not trying to copy any copyrighted material only disks that I have made myself. During all the processes, I have never received an error message—everythig seems to be going as it should but it apparently is not an exact copy as it will not play on the player—only on the PC
    I have made some DVD video disks on my stand-alone DVD recorder-player (Panasonic DMR-E75V) that is attached to my TV. The disks that it handles are DVD Ram and DVD-R. The contents are family stuff and some recorded TV programs. I am making the cpies with Nero Ultimate 7
    What I want to do is to be able to copy these disks to give to family members. Since most players will use DVD-R, I would like to make my copies to the DVD-R format, but also if possible to the DVD Ram format.
    I have tried doing this 2 ways and I always get copies that will play on my computer but not on the DVD player. I have tried copying from one DVD drive to another using one as the source drive and one as the destination drive and have also tried pulling the files off of the source drive to the hard drive and then using the Nero DVD burning feature-same result with one exception.
    Once I copied files (fairly small ) on to the hard disk and burned a DVD using the DVD burn feature on Nero and it would play on both the PC and the DVD player but I could never duplicate this with a file that was large enough to be of any use—I got a message “since this is larger than 2 Gig, you have to make an adjustment in the compilation (I think) but I wasn’t told how to do it
    Today I tried the Nero Recode to copy a DVD-R I had made and finalized on the Panasonic DMR-E75V.Every thing looked O.K during the process-- again the copy will play on the pc but not on the Panasonic. When I inserted it into the Panasonic, I, at first, got the message “no disk” but I tried inserting it again and it recognized that there was a DVD-R inserted but said “No titles recorded.”
    I feel there must be a way to make an exact copy with Nero that will play on my player in addition to playing on the PC, if I can only find it.
    Thanks for any help
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Another poor victim of Nero...
    Use ImgBurn, please
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you are recording on DVD-Ram a standard DVD player will not read your output. If your Panasonic is recording in DVD-VR most players will not play the disk.

Can a player read the original disks you made on your recorder?

It may be time to read the manual.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    ^Z
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Midzuki
    Another poor victim of Nero...
    Use ImgBurn, please
    Use IMGBURN to burn dvd media.
    It's got nothing to do with reading the manual of your dvd recorder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do as they suggest.

Ditch Nero (Zero) and burn with ImgBurn and use some good media - TY or Verbatim. If you're burning dual layer discs - Verbatim only.

...and it won't hurt to read the book for your disc player. It'll help you become familiar with some of the terminology associated with the machine.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the same problem. Still haven't cracked it. If you found the secret - I'd be grateful if you shared it!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gwright
    I have the same problem. Still haven't cracked it. If you found the secret - I'd be grateful if you shared it!
    It could be a lot of things. DVD format doesn't allow for VOB sizes greater than 2 GB (actually I think you are supposed to keep them to 1 GB or less), so the error message the original poster reported is certainly understandable.
    I don't have a DVD recorder, so I can offer no insights into how he might have obtained such large files. His description of his attempts to copy the disc don't give me a lot of confidence that he did this in the right way and if you do it in the wrong way (ie. copy DVD to a data disc format) it certainly won't work.

He might not be finalizing his discs (doesn't say one way or another, but not finalizing could lead to this exact problem).

He might be using crap media.

oldandinthe way's post is well worth considering. Both DVD-Ram and DVD-VR are bad for many standalone players. PCs understand DVD-Ram though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Rip to hard drive as ISO image file with Imgburn or DVDDecrypter - then burn the ISO to DVD-R (not DVD-RAM). That's pretty much how I've copied my DVDs for years. BTW: DVD-RAM, as used by the panny recorders, has a different file structure from a DVD-R; and I wouldn't recommend sending out too many DVD-RAM discs - most players won't recognize them.

From what I've read: Have you properly authored the DVD? You claim to have prepared and burned the "DVD files" to DVD-R media. If you'd used most authoring programs (see tools menu to left), you would've had VOB files saved to the VIDEO_TS folder of your DVD root directory of less than 1GB each - which would've ensured compliance.

I've been using TDA (ver 3, now) to author my family videos to DVD for several years, and find it easy for the task. It will also throw up warnings, insert chapters, insert menus, and burn to disc at the end.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    cant go into too much detail but check the volume label of your copied dvd
    if its not a single name then copy the disk vob ifo bup files again to your hdd from the faulty copy
    but this time using nero burn dvd video files set the volume label manually before burning you can use the default "NEW" then burn the files that are on your hdd
    and then you will find they will play on your dvd player
    dosnt matter what media or speed you use i used verbatium 16 speed
    as i changed software and burner and media before i discovered this was the reason for them to play ok in a pc but not on a player
    Quote Quote