Under WINXP Home SP2; using an LG GSA E60N (the USB one).

I'm having problems with this in that VLC produces video with loads of little blocks with lines in them all over any playback (this is some sort of 'protection'?) when DVD43 is on but works fine otherwise. In other words using DVD43 actually turns on some from of 'protection'!!!

Just wondering if any one else is using this exact combination and if so, does it work? (I can't find anything searching... but I might not be searching the right words).

DVD43 appears to work fine with PowerDVD 6.00 1530 and Media Player 11.0 5721.5230: well they both work. play DVDs, with or without DVD43 running (I doubt that they would be region free, though).

The reason I'm here is that I'm importing my first region 1 DVD (because it's not available in region 2) and am trying to pre-empt expected problems. I can't actually test with this DVD because it's not arrived yet, so I could be a bit previous.

There appears to be no firmware region-free flash for this LG drive, so software would appear the only route at the moment.

I've enough region resets in the drive to allow me to rip the region 1 dvd and switch back to region 2 (or simply buy another drive to use as region 1, after all they cost little more than 1½ imported DVDs) but it's the principle involved. I passionately object to this type of market fixing and restriction in doing what one wants, for personal use, with something one has paid for.