VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I recently got an AVI file in HD, so the quality is awesome. The problem is that it has no subs. I want to keep the file, and I think I can get the subs from a fansub group. My question is what kind of programs are available for the mac that can hardsub for an AVI file? What kind of sub format will I need? I can probably watch it with soft subs with VLC or something, but I want to be able to hardsub it to AVI then convert it to MP4 for iTunes and my iPod.

Thanks for your time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On the mac, ffmpegx can do this for you. Your problems will be minimized if you can find subs in .srt format. You might be able to hardsub while converting to MP4 (but I'm not certain of this with ffmpegx); if so, you can avoid an extra encoding step (and its associated degradation). If not, you can hardsub to another (high bitrate) avi, and then use that to encode your MP4.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did in fact find softsubs in .srt. Will using FFmpegx to just add subs increase the size the output file much? I rather use visualhub to do my avi to mp4 conversion than FFmpegx. I just need to burn the subs into the avi without re-encoding anything if possible.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tomlee59
    You might be able to hardsub while converting to MP4 (but I'm not certain of this with ffmpegx)
    Thanks to Perian, that is now possible with ffmpegX and the iPod preset. The Decode with QuickTime setting renders a .srt subtitle onto the video while encoding. It used to require Decode with mplayer for mencoder presets, but now we have more options.
    Just make sure of matching names, e.g. movie4598.avi and movie4598.srt, so that Perian finds the subtitle file.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, Case. As usual, you're the one with the answers!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VidHunter
    I rather use visualhub.
    The same thing applies. If the .srt is named right, and you have Perian installed (with Load External Subtitles activated in the Prefs Pane) and you force QuickTime decoding in Advanced settings, then you'll get hard subs.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Viddyup also does subs. It will let you preview the timing so you don't waste your time with the complete encoding only to discover it's off later.

Another good tool is Jubler which will let you alter the timing of one or all the subtitles. I've occasionally found subs that are off by, let's say, 2 seconds and Jubler lets me shift all of them the same amount. Jubler will also open quite a number of different subtitle formats and let you save them as ".srt" type (which ffmpegX and Viddyup like).

Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin
    Viddyup also does subs. It will let you preview the timing so you don't waste your time with the complete encoding only to discover it's off later.

Another good tool is Jubler which will let you alter the timing of one or all the subtitles. I've occasionally found subs that are off by, let's say, 2 seconds and Jubler lets me shift all of them the same amount. Jubler will also open quite a number of different subtitle formats and let you save them as ".srt" type (which ffmpegX and Viddyup like).

Hope this helps.
    Jubler is indeed a must-have tool for anyone trying to solve the all-too-common sub sync problem. Thanks, rumplestiltskin.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

I will definitely try the force quicktime decoding with visualhub.

Case, you saved me from my video troubles again.

P.S: I need to put the .srt in the same file as the video for it to work, right?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by VidHunter
    P.S: I need to put the .srt in the same file as the video for it to work, right?
    The .srt and the .avi should be in the same folder, yes.
    Quote Quote  
  11. With Perian installed, you can export .avi with subtitles to .mp4 or h264 for iPhone, iPod and AppleTV using the QuickTime Pro..Or any other format QuickTime supports..
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just an update, when I try to use the "force quicktime encoding", I get a white screen with no sound. When I leave the "force quicktime encoding" off, it works like charm with subs and everything. I guess I just have to put the sub file in the same place as the video for visualhub to pick it up. Oh well, as long as it works, Im not gonna question how it works. :P

*Update* If all else fails, I can use submerge to hardsub an mp4 file right? Or does submerge only change softsubs?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't know how long it's taking you with your programs but I was tryin to save avi files with subs for play on my PS3 and found a PC program (which I run on my intel Mac with Crossover) called AVIAddXSubs which converts the 2 files (avi & srt) into a playable DIVX movie in about 2 minutes. I tried everything else I could find for Mac and nothing comes close. It might be worth it to convert to a DIVX first with that program then find a solution to convert for the iPod.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AVIAddXSubs adds a bitmap subtitle stream, it doesn't hardsub which is what the OP wants for his iPod.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And say I wouldnt want it to be a mp4 file.. say I'd just want to keep it .avi, but with hardsubs... What program could i use for that ? Cause all i can get it to do is work as a quicktime file.. I want to be able to save it with hardsubs so I can stream it on the Xbox360. It doesn't use the subtitles like Quicktime does.. Xbox won't see the subs if there just there in the folder, n not actually hardsubbed...

Helllpppp!!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you had Windows, you could use AVI ReComp. It's actually sort of a "ringmaster" program, it directs the actions of several other programs to spit out a very nicely hardsubbed AVI.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    and... what if i'd have a Mac n no Windows?
    would that make hardsubbing impossible or... ??
    Quote Quote  
  18. On a mac/pc/linux, you can try avidemux which is crossplatform and has hardsub filters
    Quote Quote