VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hey now - :P

I've a video site where it displays a video of the month that I've uploaded. A new link is displayed monthly which enables the viewer to d/l the month's video. I've uploaded a few new ones for future months and have noticed they're already being viewed before the monthly link has even been displayed. I've the indexes turned off so how do you guys think they are they able to view and d/l my hidden videos?

Thx
    Quote Quote  
  2. Maybe they just backhacked or guessed the directory url?

They must be pretty interesting videos
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Post a link.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it's in my profile
    maybe the host is actually looking
    that's all I can figure out...
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zoobie
    I've a video site where it displays a video of the month that I've uploaded. A new link is displayed monthly which enables the viewer to d/l the month's video. I've uploaded a few new ones for future months and have noticed they're already being viewed before the monthly link has even been displayed. I've the indexes turned off so how do you guys think they are they able to view and d/l my hidden videos?
    I think I've heard of some software that claims to be able to download a website in its entirety. If correct, that ought to do the trick, no ? (Possibly -- probably -- there are countermeasures ... ?)

Even if true, that would be a problem with a site like this one, which may have crossed the terrabyte threshold some time ago.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    dunno...the videos are all in one folder simply named videos...all with unique names
    BW this month has increased to 12gb from years of being a steady 3gb
    ...possibly related
    I've just uploaded another video that will be displayed in December and will keep an eye on it to see when it's been viewed
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try going directly to that directory on the server in a web browser, then, and see if you get any error messages. Odds are, they're probably able to view the contents of that directory/folder as they normally would any other FTP directory, and they can download whatever's there.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I know coding probably best and there's no way they can see the folder...
    someone mentioned possibly the google video bot...

it's not important other than pure learning...just curious...and avoiding editing more HDV
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    there are many 'website' capture programs, that spider a site and will down load the entire contents or just the parts you want

are your users required to join, to have access.. that helps, if they are not, it really is entirely too easy to get everything at anytime
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How many videos are actually on the Videos page ?

I can scrape 149 links with Unplug without having to dig for them.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    my local folder says 151 but I think a few are duplicates
    this sounds like a handy program to have if you wanted to view them all offline...like in a mountain cabin
    I could stick an index page in there but I think you guys are probably right
    no biggie
    thx

ps - if you can see it, check out that Freekshow of World Record Holders
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Unplug is a plugin for the Firefox browser. The video page gives 149 unique links from 153 possibles. Unplug attempts to find the true location of media on a page so you can download for off-line viewing. Not much needed for your page, but handy for sites like YouTube etc.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote