VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a TDK DVD RW880N burner bought around 2004 and have used Maxell DVD-Rx4 using Toast 6.1.1. Lately I'm running out of DVD so I bought Maxell DVD-R brand again with 16X max and somehow it's indicating error message "Interface error -50 the connection is not stable." I Rebooted the computer but still giving me the same error. If I used my old Maxell x4 I don't have any problems at all. What's going on?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    dvd burners have an internal lookup table in the firmware to tell it how to burn different media. your drive is so old it can't burn current blanks is my thought. if your mac can handle a drive upgrade it's time. current 20x burners can be bought for under $30. if not maybe it's time for a pc.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The 880N is an 8x burner. Do your 16x discs allow burning at 8x speed?
    Have you ever upgraded the firmware since you bought it? To some extend, a newer firmware may support newer media. The latest TDK 1.37 firmware updater (Windows program for DVD±R/±RW Writer 8x) has a file date of October 1, 2007.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It indicated that this disc may be recorded with 1x - 16 x and TDK allows speed selection and I even selected 4x but still same error message. Is there a website that let's me upgrade my firmware since the link you gave me only works with window. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sadly, many drive firmware upgrades need to be applied with a PC. So, if updated firmware exists for your drive (and you need to verify this), and no Mac-compatible update utility is provided by the manufacturer, then your only option is to find a windows box, put your drive in it, and update it there.

Colossal pain, yes, but considering the options (hunt for other compatible media, buy a new drive), maybe not so bad...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dump that old burner. You can buy one of the new Lite-On units for about $40.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin
    Dump that old burner. You can buy one of the new Lite-On units for about $40.
    I lost my cd with the drivers on it. Does anyone know a link where I can get them. Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I lost my cd with the drivers for my TDK 880n when I moved into my new place. Does anyone know of a link where I can get these drivers?? Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote