VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been having little issues with my AG-1970 and was looking at getting a new VCR for converting VHS/SVHS tapes. I know the best player is the recorder it was recorded on, but most of the tapes in question are not mine and I am looking for the best possible playback as I will be recording them to DVD and throwing out the VHS copies. I have seen reviews for JVC models here for the 9000s models such as the 9911U, however I can rarely come across one even online. I have found a 9500 but I dont know how that compares to the 9911u.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to buy? Would a cheap vcr with an external tbc be the same or would it be better for a higher end model?

My VCR is connected via an Canopus ADVC-300.

Thanks
    Mark
    Quote Quote  
  2. External TBCs and processors serve a different purpose and cannot duplicate the functionality of a high-end VCR with built-in TBC/DNR. There really aren't too many choices of these, even used, that are easily available in good condition anymore. Other members report the last batch of new old stock seems to have sold out a few weeks ago at the bricks & mortar stores that still had them. That leaves eBay and Craig's List.

The most recently made and best models for VHS to DVD transfer are the Mitsubishi HS-HD2000U DVHS and the similar JVC model 400 DVHS. These can be found in mint condition for about $150-200 or sometimes turn up new in box for about $400. Next up would be the SVHS JVC 9911 you mentioned, these sell as soon as they're offered because of their cult-like status, they are no better than the DVHS machines and are actually older so for the money I'd recommend looking for a DVHS first.

If you are on a tight budget, it is pretty easy to find a good AG1970 for about $60 if you monitor the listings for a week or two. The 1970 is much less popular than the 1980 so it gets overlooked, but its actually much better constructed and offers 90% of the performance of a 1980.

If you can swing a Mitsu or JVC DVHS, I would recommend that option above all due to the machines being more recent, with circuits designed to optimize VHS playback to digital, and features that can spruce up a wider variety of tape issues. If this will be a long-term investment for you, it couldn't hurt to also get a replacement AG1970 to keep around as an alternate unit for random tapes that have playback issues on the DVHS. The two machines would cover all your bases.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mark23
    I am looking for the best possible playback
    You may find this interesting;
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic328283.html
    Life is better when you focus on the signals instead of the noise.
    Quote Quote  
  4. i can see several interesting auctions on ebay:

JVC HR-S 9600- current bid 30€]

JVC S-VHS HR-S8000MS-current bid 32€
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote