VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have a PC that has never been used on the net. I also have a friend who often brings of couple movies for me that have been given to him by people downloading off the net.

After I deleted those files I noticed the files on my HHD had grown by 1.5Gb, I looked for the reason for the sudden usage. I discovered a number of "FOUND" files, one of which is 1Gb.

After trying search and advance searches in every way possible, I have been unable to locate those files. It is not in my System or Registry files and I haven't been able to locate a folder containing those files anywhere on the drive, I even had a look in DOS.

Google search indicates that file relates to a Trojan virus .... this is my very first experience with a virus.

Another friend is sending me a virus scan that he hopes will delete those files.

I made this post to alert people to keep an eye on the properties of your HDD. If the contents thereon suddenly increase, it's very possible the Trojan Virus is the cause.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you scanned your drive for errors recently?
    *.chk files are usually orphan files that were found by running CHKDSK (drive/properties/tools/error-checking) on XP
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't make a habit of shutting your pc without closing windows properly. When you do that file pointers are not properly written and as KBeee says you end up with orphan files which the bootup disk checking utility finds but doesn't know what they are or their real filename extension so it puts .chk. Probably if you rename the large one to avi or mpg you will find that's it's one of those videos your friend brought over. Nothing "virus or trojan" about it. Just don't shut the power to the pc until windows says it's safe to do so and you should rarely if ever see any lost files.

btw) If you can't find them it's probably because your explorer folder viewing options are set to hide certain types of system files and/or extensions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If Windows crashes for any reason it often scrambles some open files. When it reboots chkdisk will run. If it finds any file remnants it will try to save them for you.

These are normally put in a folder called something like FOUND.001 in the root of the drive.

Unless you are good at piecing together complex jigsaw puzzles, there's no point in keeping these, just delete them.

Windows may be hiding these folders from you. Try changing the "folder options" that hide system files that Microsoft makes the default, and you should be able to see and delete them.

I doubt these are due to a virus.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to everyone for your responses.

I typed C:\FOUND.000\FILE.0000.CHK into google and it was identified as being a Trojan Virus.

I tried many searches including advanced and could not find them. After many attemps I finally typed C:\FOUND.000 where you would normally select the disk you to search and they appeared. There were around 200 files(1.5g), they were in folders from FOUND.000 to 013.

After the google search I believed I had picked a a virus from my friends computer, not so.

Thanks again, advise advise was appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AlanHK,

Thanks for your comment, you were completely right .... no virus.

Immediately after transferring those files from my friends machine I jumped to conclusions and thought I had downloaded a virus. Blue screens and crashes happened on nearly every startup and check disk was run before every startup would boot. I finished up discoveribg a faulty RAM chip which was causing all the problems and accumulating the CHK files. I have deleted them and my machine is running as it did before the event.

Thank you again, advise appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi
    i had the same problem
    i couldn't see my hidden files and when i tried to open my drives for example drive d it didn't open and went to "openwith" mode!
    i had a software named Nohidden
    i run it so i could see my hidden files
    so i could see there were many folders named Found.000 and some other like this in drive c
    i deleted them
    and then my system worked as before
    but the day after that when i turn on my computer again i saw that i can't see my hidden files again!
    and now when i use the NoHidden software,is doesn't work and it helps me to see only the system volume information folder in all drives except drive c!

i test this way that i found in : http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-477-c-ant-see-hidden-files

"""(Go to Start --> Run, then type Regedit
    2. Navigate to the registry folder HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\
    CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHO WALL
    3. Find a key called CheckedValue.
    4. Double Click CheckedValue key and modify it to 1. This is to show all the hidden files.)
    """"
    but i didn't get any result
    plz help me
    what can i do to remove this virus from my computer!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To display hidden files or folders in XP, Open My Computer click on the following tabs Tools/View/ under Files and Folders sub entry Hidden files and folders click the Show hidden files and folder button. You may have to be and Administrator for this to work. A similar feature is in Vista or Win 7. I haven't used Vista, but at one time I did it for my trial version of Win 7. Good luck.

rcubed
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanx for help
    i'v done this before,but it didn't work because of the virus on my computer!
    when i select the show hidden files and folders after clicking ok it returns to don't show!
    my windows is xp.

today when i turned on my computer i saw that it works as before and i could see my hiddenfiles
    and now i don't know is there any virus on my computer ?! how can i understand this?
    why sometimes it doesn't show me hiddenfiles!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    RoyA Ammm,
    Not sure why it works sometimes and not other. You don't have two different accounts under XP one with and one w/o administrator privileges? (again not sure if one needs to be running admin to do it). Or maybe the tool you installed to look at hidden files is interacting with the OS in some way. Sometimes the order in which dll's get loaded can cause problems. With Windows it's a crap shoot. Maybe the knowledge base on $MS's web site might list something.

I checked the registry entry you mentioned that should be patched

(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHO WALL
    se
    I tried the My Computer/Tools/.... etc. with and w/o the hidden files button being set and that did not change the key the registry patch changed. Mine entry was all ready set to 1. Also the entry is SHOWALL (no blank character).

Sorry I can't be more help. Running multiple virus/trojan programs might pick up something do to overlay (not all checkers are 100% sure), but it's not a good idea to have two of any of the programs resident at one time.

Let us know if you ever get it figured out.

These things can be a real PIA.

rcubed
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you need to use an explorer Replacement program like Total Commander to view these files, be sure to set it to display hidden files ----------------------------------------------------- or a good 3rd party search tool, like Agent Ransack ----------------------------------------------------- .chk files pack files into them, and deleting them could delete important data.. thats been my experience ------------------------------------------------------ some of them will end up hiding your files, but when you delete it, it restores your hidden files ------------------------------------------------------- Other ones, they just steal all of your files into a giant chk file, and out of 16gb SD card, 9GB may be in Found000.chk, and its full of thousands of .chk files, and each Check file holds your files, photos, documents, everything.. and deleting the found000.chk folder deletes all 9Gb of your data permanently ------------------------------------------------ thats a virus.. if its not, technically, then its a Microsoft virus, and its worse than any virsus I've ever found on removable drives.
    Quote Quote