VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is it possible to convert a .SRT or a .SUB subtitle file so that I can select it as a Subtitle Track on a DVD?

I'm trying to convert a DivX .AVI file which has a subtitle file (.SRT or .SUB file extension) and I have managed to author the video okay using ConvertXtoDVD but I can't seem to find a way of getting an SRT or SUB file to appear on the authored DVD as an independent Subtitle Track.

Please bear in mind that I don't want permanent subtitles encoded into the video. All I want is to be able to enable and disable the Subtitles once the DVD has started to play.

Like I said above, I have already found a method for converting the DivX .AVI file to DVD compliant VOB and IFO files and have already created a DVD Menu so all I need now is to find a way of integrating the SUB (or SRT) subtitle file as a Subtitle Track that can be enabled or disabled once the DVD has started to play.
    Quote Quote  
  2. ConvertXtoDVD can do selectable subs; perhaps you are using an older version? For example if you have 2 .srt subs (english and japanese or something), you should be able to select which one (or none) on your DVD player. You can also manipulate subtitle settings under options

It might be that your DVD player doesn't support selectable subs?

Another option to try is FAVC (free) which works in a similar fashion to convertxtodvd

Good luck
    Quote Quote  
  3. I've just checked again and you are correct. ConvertXtoDVD does support selectable Subtitle streams but it only seems to support .SRT subtitle files but it will not support .SUB subtitle files.

I happen to have both file formats for the subtitles of the same movie.

Whenever I try importing the .SUB subtltle file in ConvertXtoDVD, it gives me an error message consisting of "filename.sub or filename.idx is missing".

I'm guessing that it wants the location of the .IDX file along with the .SUB file itself. I don't have the .IDX file for the .SUB file I'm trying to import. So how do I get the .IDX file that ConvertXtoDVD is asking me for?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Problem solved.

I've found a solution to the problem of importing .SUB subtitle files. Subtitle Workshop did the trick.

All I needed to do was to import the .SUB file and then choose the "Save As" option and then choose the "SubRip" file format option and it should then convert the .SUB file to a .SRT subtitle file which can then be used in ConvertXtoDVD for adding selectable subtitles.
    Quote Quote