VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am looking to obtain (for our office) a new DVD Recorder/VHS Combo unit for dubbing from DVD-VHS and VHS-DVD. I would prefer to do this with two separate units, but the lack of availability of VCR's makes this problematic. My budget is less than $200.

I'm not worried about bypassing copy protection, since neither the source DVD's or VHS tapes are commercial in nature.

Any recommendations for new (not refurbed) units?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    " I'm not worried about bypassing copy protection, since neither the source DVD's or VHS tapes are commercial in nature. "

But you should be -- anti-copy is an artificial error, and sometimes REAL tapes errors set it off. I often see and hear about home movies that are rejected by recorders do to "copy protection errors". It's horsecrap, but it's something we're forced to deal with.

Most combos, especially what's new and in stores, will yield low quality. They all work about the same. Just go to Walmart and buy what's on the shelf, and cross your fingers. I say Walmart because the return policy is long (90 days) and easy, with no restocking fees or hassle.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I second Lordsmurf's post. For your price range I'd check out W/M, and at least in my area I'd check out a few. Not all W/M's carry the same product line. Some carry much more than others. Usually the newest/biggest carry the largest product line, from what I have found.
    Quote Quote  
  4. A third for lordsmurf post

I have a Go Video combo unit That works very well
    It balks at a number of home tapes because it thinks they have CP
    It will Play any Commercial DVD but will not Play a Burned one
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks to everyone for the advice - I'll check out the cheapies at Wal-Mart.
    Quote Quote