VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Edit: See another automated method to do this https://forum.videohelp.com/topic377680.html

There aren't too many free methods to convert AVCHD to other formats. Recent upgrades to the libavcodec library have built in PAFF support, which allows AVCHD to be properly decoded. The latest DGAVCdec program works with AVCHD. Here's how to do it.

1- Install Avisynth 2.57 or later. v2.58 works fine on my machine:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=57023&package_id=105994&release_id=625750

2- Download and unzip the AVCHD_CONVERT package:

avchd_convert_v9.zip

3-Drag your .MTS files into the same folder as the unzipped files. Double Click the appropriate .bat to run

4- Open up the avs files as highlighted below with your favorite app (ie - VirtualDub), and you should be able to preview the video . Remember, with a 45 frame fade-in, you'll have to scrub forward to see anything.

Notes -

Q - Which batch file should I choose?

A - Depends on your camera, the settings in which you filmed, and what you're planning on doing with the output files.

The __1920x1080_Same_As_Source.bat file will output the same settings as your input file. That's a good (but slow because of the size) script for editing in NLE packages such as Vegas.

If you aren't editing and just want to make DVDs or MP4 or AVIs, choose one of the other batch files. The dimensions 848x480 for NTSC and 1024x576 for PAL were chosen specifically to feed the proper file dimensions and aspect ratio into your MPEG2 encoder.

The .BAT files are named with what the output will be. ie - 848x480 size dimensions and deinterlaced

Q - I want to edit in Premiere/Vegas/etc. Which codec/format should I save in?

A - Lagarith or Huffyuv are both lossless codecs, so converting the .MTS file to a Lagarith encoded .AVI file in VirtualDub will do the trick.

Q - It doesn't work on my MTS file, or the ouput looks corrupt.

A - That's because there are too many AVCHD proprietary modifications put in place by the camera manufacturers. You can still use the scripts, but you'll have to purchase DGavcdecNV for $15 (and you must have an Nvdia 8500 card or higher). There's also a Directshow method to get around this problem. Let me know if you want to do this, I'll help you with the steps. Read this post for more information: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic357041.html

The script is set with a 45 frame fade-in and fade-out.

The HQ batch file uses a better (but slower, as in half as fast) deinterlacing method. It'll look better for videos with fast moving pans, etc. Try both and see if you notice a difference. If you don't, just use the regular one.

Make sure your AVCHD file has a .MTS extension

Sample Output:

00004.avi

****** A Version Specifically for Vimeo (and Now Youtube HD) ******

*Note: If you want a GUI interface, the latest version of Xvid4PSP will do this for you. You still have to feed the app .MTS extension files. .M2TS isn't working yet.

Here's a version of the script designed to automatically transcode to Vimeo.com Upload Specs:

1280x720 6000k h264 with AAC audio MP4 files - This leads to a fairly large MP4 file, about 1/3rd to 1/2 the size of the original .MTS . But it looks pretty nice - no B frames.

avchd_convert__vimeo__v9.zip

The procedures and requirements are the same as above

1) Drag your MTS files into the same folder

2) When complete, the output files will be prefaced with "Vimeo_"

Sample Output:

vimeo_x264_test.mp4
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nice work Soopafresh!

I originally tried DGAVCdec on some AVCHD files that I demuxed with tsremux. It didn't work out that well, it gave lot's of errors. Your method works better...............
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No probs. Once DGAVCdec can be accessed via command line (like the more seasoned DGindex), it'll be a true "one click" solution.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Soopafresh does it AGAIN!!!

Unfortunately, I am rocking a Canon HV20 these days, which is HDV
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your kind words. The HV20 - a terrific camera for the $. You have many more options with HDV for conversion - lot's of methods posted here (racer-x's guide for Blu Ray https://forum.videohelp.com/topic346069.html for example ) and quite a number of ways posted at http://www.hv20.com.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HDV footage (HV20) is mpeg2 transport stream. It is possible editing in Sony Vegas 8 ( smart render ), or use free DGMPGDec with Avisynth and convert it in one of encoders (XviD, HCEnc, ...)

Sorry my english is wrong
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, that is just the way I'm doing it. I had Vegas 4 and recetly upgraded to 8. Also making use of the other threads that discuss how to convert 1440x1080 HDV to 1280x720. Doing lots of experiments to see what I can and cant do with the HV20. I am about to try a 24fps project and see how that turns out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Figured out the command line syntax for DGAVCindex, so now the process is even easier. Download avchd_convert_v2.zip from the top post and have a look at the simplified instructions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Very minor upgrades to v3

*Latest DGAVCdec ( Alpha 18 )

*Changes to the Avisynth Script

- turned off deblocking for slight performance increase and sharpening
    - switched to Lanczos4Resize for slightly nicer quality over BicubicResize

BTW, the image quality of this method is superior to the older CoreAVC way. Big kudos to Don Graft (aka Neuron2). Also, a big improvement with the A/V sync . See clip (source MTS file author unknown)

00009.avi

Processing Multiple .MTS Files

This is fresh out of the oven, but it looks like it works.

1- Download and unzip this very small .zip file- _multi_demux_mts.zip

Copy to same folder as the rest of the stuff. Double click to run.

2- You'll feed the following files into your encoder/editor/etc
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's an add-on which will automatically convert your MTS files to "lossless" Huffyuv with PCM WAV audio, or Xvid with mp3 audio. It uses FFmpeg (included) to do the transcoding.

Huffyuv Output Settings
    Huffyuv v2.20 Standard
    Interlaced
    1920x1080
    PCM_s16LE (stereo wav audio)

The Huffy batch file will prepare files suitable for many PC based editing packages, including Vegas, etc (at least I think it does). You should have LOTS of available free space, as the output file will be 30-40times the size of the original .MTS . Quad core machine is recommended if you want to see smooth playback. You can use the built-in Huffyuv decoder in ffdshow to play the file back, or download http://www.free-codecs.com/download/HuffYUV.htm

Xvid Output Settings
    Progressive
    720x400
    MP3 160K audio

The Xvid batch file will quickly create AVI files suitable for smooth playback on virtually any PC

Directions:

Download, unzip, and copy into the same folder as the other stuff

huffyuv_xvid_addon.zip

_multi_demux_mts_xvid_1280x720.zip
    Quote Quote  
  11. Guest34343
    Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    - turned off deblocking for slight performance increase and sharpening
    That may not be a good idea. Deblocked frames are used as reference frames in AVC, so blocking artifacts can get bad with long GOPs if you turn off deblocking.

In case it's not clear, with the latest version of DGAVCDec, you shouldn't need to demux the video first, and audio demuxing is supported.

Please let me know if you have any issues with your AVCHD files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't know that, neuron2. I'll test it out and see if I can implement it into the next version of the script. BTW, thank you for making all of this possible.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Guest34343
    @Soopafresh

Thank you for making the tools accessible to the masses. Your efforts are greatly appreciated!

"Dismember" -- Ha ha, I love it.

I've been planning to buy an AVCHD capable camera. Any suggestions? I really need AV input (SD at least), though, for my underwater swimming video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't own one. Just wrote the mini-guide to help folks out. I kinda prefer the convenience of the HDV Mpeg2 world, where you can IVTC the raw .M2T files to get 24p - or simpler yet straight 30p as on the new Canon HV30. Not as compression efficient as AVCHD, though.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can someone help me to convert my mts files to Flash?
    Also I used the convert to xvid post. Work fine but i wasn't able to play it not even when i installed the k-lite basic codec pack

Help would ne appreciated!

Thanx in Advance
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Post one of the XVID files up here. Make sure it is less than 5MB in size.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here ya go

00007_xvid_.avi
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It plays on my PC. I like that black fish.

Sounds like you've got a playback codec problem on your system. Codec packs like K-Lite will get you into trouble. Try uninstalling K-Lite and install an FFdshow from 2008 instead.

Creating a flash file is easy if you have a flash encoder program. Just feed it the .AVS files and voila.

00009.flv

Here's a flash script which uses mencoder. It might need Msvcp70.dll. If it complains, google for the file and download it into the AVCHD_Convert folder

flash_addon.zip
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Im on windows vista system.. see what happens

to%20flash%20error.swf
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm running XP, so I can't recreate the problem you're seeing in Vista. I promise it works, there's something wrong on your system

http://www.flixxy.com/vista-operating-system-humour.htm
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    other flash encoders then???
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yeah, try another flash encoder app. It will have to accept Avisynth AVS scripts.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That was my question to you do you know any good ones
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It looks like Super can do it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SUPER_(software)
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hmmm cant seem to be able to find a download link anywhere...

ok found the link trough google.

Now when I try to convert my avs file to flv or swf I get and error.
    Can someone tell me the right settings?

Thanx in Advance
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    cool. Super works great, and it is a single shot m2ts ==>> avi converter. Just ran it on a sample clip, and it does what one would expect it to do. Link is here:

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

BTW, it is FREE too. It works as expected, conversion is roughly the duration of the clip, and once done clip can be edited with VDub.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    New V4 has a lot of updates

-It supports multiple MTS files by deafult

-DGAVCdec upgrade to latest v19

-Turned deblocking back on, per recommendation of neuron2

-45 frame fade-in and fade-out

-Audio enhanced with dynamic range compression (sounds more professional)

-HQ batch file for high quality deinterlacing using Yadif for Avisynth. It's a few fps slower during the encode as a result, but the output looks a lot smoother during pans or fast movement.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I have a couple of questions:

1) If I were NOT to deinterlace in any way, keeping it interlaced, would filesize be smaller? (I believe my camera captures interlaced video because i have to deinterlace it on my PC with Nero ShowTime)

2) Is it better to leave a video interlaced for display on my 1080i HDTV? Is it better to deinterlace and burn that file as a Blu-ray or something, or to leave it interlaced and then burn that file as a Blu-ray or something?

3) If yes to either 1 or 2, is there a way to NOT deinterlace using the method explained and available for download in this thread.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sure. It's pretty easy to turn deinterlacing off. Give me a sec and I'll diagram it.

Actually, here are 2 batch files which will process the file in an interlaced manner. One will resize to 720x400, the other will "resize" to 1920x1080

interlaced.zip
    Quote Quote