VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    Sure. It's pretty easy to turn deinterlacing off. Give me a sec and I'll diagram it.

Actually, here are 2 batch files which will process the file in an interlaced manner. One will resize to 720x400, the other will "resize" to 1920x1080

interlaced.zip
    Okay, thanks a lot Soopafresh, but what is better for an 1080i HDTV, interlaced, or deinterlaced?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, if the screen is 1080i , then interlaced. Your display might not even be able to show 1080p. But if you're going to do that, then it makes more sense to take your MTS files and prepare them directly for Blu Ray playback. This avoids having to re-encode them at all. You'd need a Blu Ray player, of course.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    Well, if the screen is 1080i , then interlaced. Your display might not even be able to show 1080p. But if you're going to do that, then it makes more sense to take your MTS files and prepare them directly for Blu Ray playback. This avoids having to re-encode them at all. You'd need a Blu Ray player, of course.
    I'm sure my TV display cannot show 1080p, the max is 1080i. I know that just taking my mts and putting that on a disc would be my best option, but say I wanted to edit it using Adobe Premiere or another video-editing program, I could encode it and then have Nero burn a Blu-ray disc. I don't have a Blu-ray player yet, but I plan on buying one soon, since the format war is finally over.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    nice one soopa.

i guess i would have dropped xport and used dgavc
    like you demonstrated in an alternate version
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks 45tripp, I'll do that eventually. The A/V sync is really good right now via the Xport demux. I'm sure it is with DGavcIndex, I just haven't extensively tested it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But dgavc doesn't work for all h264 videos. I know that it doesn't open my downloaded apple
    (mov) trailers ... and the only way I as able to open those was with Yamb because it basically
    just demux the A/V contents and re-wraps them in another (cleaner) container. I posted this
    (vague) hint in another thread about a week ago or so.

--> Trailers MOV format -- How to decode/demux/trancode to .MP4 ? [Solved]

-vhelp 4592
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    V5 released. Minor enhancements

- Newer DGAVCindex V22

- Resizes to more DVD friendly dimensions - 848x480 for NTSC and 1024x576 for PAL

- PAL version of the batch files included
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am hoping (dreaming) of the day when DGAVCindex will open all container packages,
    including the apple mov trailers and other containers that house H264 or AVC content.
    Well, we can dream, can't we ?

Until then, I'll continue on the hunt for the tool that opens all of them.. will make me happy
    Thanks for your friendly heads-up.

-vhelp 4603
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi.
    I bought the Sony HDR-SR12, great camera. However, I can't read the mts files with the software that comes with the camera, so I use the Sony Vegas 8.0.
    I like the program, and I think I can do some cool editing with it.
    I've rendered some files, I've been experimenting with some output templates. Bottom line, I want to convert files to DVD, so I can watch them in my living room.
    My question is: should I try the programs you guys have suggested, or can I use the Sony Vegas with good results? If so, which output format would you recommend me?
    Another thing: what's interlacing?

Finally. What do you reckon: should a certain program to convert files and Vegas to edit them?

Noob here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    vhelp - you might know about QTsource http://avisynth.org/QuickTime

DWBH - Vegas will work well with your HDR-SR12 MTS files. There's so much to cover that it is out of the scope of this thread to get into the specifics. Download the manual

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/manuals/vegasfamily

Many Vegas tutorials on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZA0GC_Vob4&feature=related

AVCHD Editing programs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NNFnacJSdw&feature=related
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I posted earlier about a problem I was having using multi_demux_mts.bat on large *.MTS files created with a Canon HG10.

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic348383.html<br /> <br /> Thanks to <b>Soopafresh</b>...<br /> <br />http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FR4OmJIoI8
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Explain what you mean by "overflow" files. Do you mean a structure like:

00001.mts
    00002.mts

etc?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah exactly. I start recording (0001.mts) after twenty minutes I have two files (0001.mts and 0002.mts). The second files dies every time and I can process the first one everytime. I thought it was a file size issues (memmory) but that doesn't explan why it wont work on the smaller files (0002.mts)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's possible that customized version I made for you only accepts one .MTS file at a time. Try the 00002.mts file alone in the folder and try processing it. Make sure it's the only .MTS in there.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tried that. Also tried using TSremux.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How big is the 00002.mts file? Is it small enough that you can upload it to http://www.mediafire.com/ ? Anything over 100MB might take too long to upload.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The *.MTS file is 1.9Gb straight out of the camera. I don't have FTP or I'd drop it there.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bescene
    Oh how I miss WinDV, firewire and the MiniDV! Low def is better than no def - please help!
    I agree! Having just spent 3 weeks with a Canon HG10, I've given up and am going Mini-DV. The HG10 is a super camera, and watching the footage on you HD flatscreen is super. But HD video editing and authoring is the world of pain. You'd better have a gamer-level PC, money for new software, and lots of time. My 3.5GB RAM, 1.8Ghz Core2Duo just can't cut it. (Yes, I tried the Elecard AVCHD to DV converter with poor results. The output had something that looked like very coarse interlacing.)

Let's face it. Mini-DV (with its high bit rate and lossless compression) is a great format for capturing video.
    Cross-platform: Core2Duo WinXp and iMac G5
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Soopafresh. Your contributions have been awesome. I'm sure you have spent quite some time, thanks. I have a couple of questions for you.

I've read many posts on many forums, and I'm trying to get my head wrapped around HD.

I own a sony hdr-sr5 so I get AVC-HD .m2ts file. Your bat file does work on my files.

You seem to have a good handle on things so I'm asking for your thoughts / suggestions.

Here is what I think I know? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My goal is to be able to edit with Final Cut Pro.

Editing:

1) Editing compressed video seems to be a bad idea. I can do this in Sony Vegas, but you need a very beefy machine, which I do have a Pentium D, w/ 3gb of ram, and It still seems a bit slugish when editing .m2ts files.

2) Besides Vegas most editing solutions don't even handle Editing compressed video. I was able to use Nero to convert my .m2ts to a .mp4 container which I was able to edit in imovie and final cut. I played with mb/s and other quality controls, but I know it's just no going to be as good.

3) If I decompress the mpeg 4 using voltaic, AIC, or some other decompression the files get enormous.

I'm really not sure exactly what to do at this point. I don't want to convert the whole library to downgraded versions, and I'm sure in 6 months there will be a better codec anyway, but I want to be able to have the best of both worlds. Compressed file size (save storage) with preserved quality (raw .m2ts), but still be able to edit

Others have talked about extracting the video and audio from the .m2ts file and wrapping it in a QuickTime container so FinalCut and iMovie would be able to read them. Not sure if this is possible. It seems that you already are able to extract. How difficult would it be to wrap it in a QT container?

I guess when it comes down to it. I'm less concerned with file size. I can always buy another harddrive since they are cheap these days, but I don't want to lose any quality, and I want to be able to edit them with FinalCut.

What do you suggest would be the best way to approach this? The QuickTime approach seems ineresting as maybe one would not have to re-encode (lose quality), maybe we could just re-wrap in a QT container.

Thanks
    Adam
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Couple of other points:

the ffmpeg call in your bat files works good for standard DVD quality.

1) I want to edit in at least 1440 x 1080 which is my native resolution for the .m2ts files. I realize that if I render to standard dvd it seems pointless, but I would like to be able to re-open those projects later and output to blue-ray / hd discs when they become the standard, and I don't want to have to re-create the project.

What are your thoughts on editing in certain resolutions. Should you always try to edit in a higher resolution for future flexibility?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    adam - thanks for your kind words I'm not going to have very good answers for you, as I haven't explored the workflow of AVCHD processing on OS X and Final Cut. The most popular program in this regard does seem to be Voltaic for the Mac. I believe iMovie has built in support for AVCHD (at least I think I read that somewhere).

And as you mentioned, disk drive space is cheap these days. 1TB drives are $200.

Regarding the file dimensions, it all depends on the speed of your editing program and what your target is going to be. Blu Ray output would mean no resizing of the original for editing. But again, a native resolution file for editing is going to be a lot bigger than a resized for DVD file.

Bottom line, hold on to your .M2TS files until better solutions are created.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    wow. That was fast man. Yeah IMovie uses apple's AIC codec to transcode to a .mov file. Of course in my case when I turn the camera on it crashes imovie, I've heard others having success with this. Once again. And when I use Voltaic the quality just doesn't look as good as the original.

Both nero and TMPGEnc produce a pretty good mpeg 4 movie in the .mp4 container, I was just looking for possibly a way to change to a mp4 container without transcoding, but maybe that is impossible, or to just extract the raw video from the .m2ts and put it into a different container.

Adam
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can put it into a MKV container without transcoding (although why would one do that), but MP4 is out because it doesn't allow AC3 audio, which is in the M2TS file. See that? If it isn't one thing it's another!

BTW, check out this article for some more options on OSX

http://37prime.wordpress.com/2008/01/22/avchd-and-mac-os-x/
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello there i'd follow these steps regarding feeding the .avs into tmpegenc plus using virtual dubmod but virtual dub crashes.. I just want to encode my .mts file ecorded from sony hdr sr 12 into .mpg file. normally TPEGxpexx 4.0 took 3 hrs. to finish it and I wonder if there is way to at least half the the time consumed from tmpegxpress 4.0...

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Try upgrading Avisynth to 2.58 http://www.free-codecs.com/AviSynth_download.htm

Try regular VirtualDub instead of VirtualDubMod

Your PC is SLOWWWWWW. 2.0Ghz is far too slow for working with HD source material.

TmpegencXpress v4 will take advantage of multicore processors.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks soopafresh anyway My Pc is power by an Intel core 2 duo 6400 (2.13 GHZ) and I have the latest avisynth .. and I also try VirtualDub but after several minutes it crashed...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm... I don't know. It works without a problem on my system.

Which codec are you converting to in VirtualDub ?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Soopa,

This is a very helpful guide. Having just bought the lovely Sony HDR-SR12, I'm trying to find a way to bring the Sony's .mt2s file into Adobe Premiere Pro CS3 with as little loss as possible. The Huffy script sounds great where you mention that it's lossless as far as video is concerned, however the audio channels are reduced. Any chance of another script, or guidance as to make a change to an existing one, that would be as lossless as possible?

Thanks for any help or pointers,

- Rand
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Rand, do you mean they're reduced in channels or in volume ?
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In channels from 5.1 to Stereo. No?
    Quote Quote