VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 21
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. (As a result of this thread: https://forum.videohelp.com/topic336882-390.html#1814412 we're moving the Subject here.)

It seems YouTube is currently offering Higher Quality (up to 850 kbit/s A+V) videos to certain locations only, and testing out several different quality formats.

You can see if your video has different versions offered by YouTube, by adding "&fmt=18" or "&fmt=6" to the end of the URL, like in these examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0_aFU4Yjj8
    yields low quality 320x240
    while (adding &fmt=18 at the end)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0_aFU4Yjj8&fmt=18
    gives you 480x360 high-bandwidth material, and higher quality audio!

See https://forum.videohelp.com/topic346256-120.html#1820485 for a way to embed the fmt=18 mp4 version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKw7mu6lzso
    yields low quality 320x240, while
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKw7mu6lzso&fmt=6
    gives you high-res high-bandwidth material.

This makes uploading in FLV format a questionable activity, since obviously YT will convert your video in more than 1 version so they can decide which one to offer to the viewer.
    update: Google/YouTube turned format 18 into stereo as of March 9th and is re-encoding all videos to the new format still as I write
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If a video hasn't been converted yet, it will keep loading 'forever', doesn't it? Also, I think only .wmv is being converted right now. I got video's in .avi (mostly xvid), .wmv and .mp4 (h.264). Only 1 .wmv is converted thus far. No h.264 or DivX/Xvid movie has been converted yet.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Denizzje
    If a video hasn't been converted yet, it will keep loading 'forever', doesn't it? Also, I think only .wmv is being converted right now. I got video's in .avi (mostly xvid), .wmv and .mp4 (h.264). Only 1 .wmv is converted thus far. No h.264 or DivX/Xvid movie has been converted yet.
    I don't think so, SpongeFreak52's ups were XviD..
    I have also yet to see if the High-Quality gives you stereo audio. Do you have a stereo example upload, anyone?

Another good example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFiOm9ifMG0&fmt=6 (high, still no stereo audio though)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVAURHf-2MQ&fmt=6

I used stereo music for this movie. But I don't think it is stereo, though the quality has really improved. This is the only one of my 46 movies which has been converted thus far. I am wondering if some of my longer movies (I got one of almost 2 hours) will also be switched eventually.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Actually, only half of mine are in XviD, and none of those have been converted. Only 1-65, which were WMVs, have been converted.

So it seems that that it is the only format being converted at the moment. No XviDs have been seen in HQ yet.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    They made an HQ version of one of my h.264 mp4's.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Shay offers only stereo videos, for example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwFjIrUE5fA
    but he uploads FLV (uses Any Video Converter, actually) and bypasses the YT conversion.

It's interesting to see what they will do regarding all the uploaded FLV's.. upscale them? LOL
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dtfinch
    They made an HQ version of one of my h.264 mp4's.
    May I have the link? Because almost half of my videos are in h.264 too and I really want those switched in HQ too!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Denizzje
    May I have the link? Because almost half of my videos are in h.264 too and I really want those switched in HQ too!
    I suppose I could unprivate it (may take a while for the change to propagate), though it won't prove anything:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ipxn-hKvbNE&fmt=6 (slightly NSFW)

The 480x360 version didn't appear until the next day.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That looks and sounds much better than the other version of the same movie on youtube! And it sounds like stereo too. Strange, but good .
    Touchy sensitive dude :D.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Denizzje
    That looks and sounds much better than the other version of the same movie on youtube! And it sounds like stereo too. Strange, but good .
    No it's still mono (44.1 kc, 96 kbit/s cbr mp3). I hope that's not YouTube's new choice of what they offer, because then I will still be uploading my own FLV's with stereo..

Also sad that they're using Xing's encoder for the mp3 audio. Why would you, when LAME is out there too? Lame Variable Bitrate does a much better job with low bitrates. For example, if you use mencoder, this:
    Code:
    -oac mp3lame -lameopts vbr=2:q=8:aq=0:mode=1:padding=2:lowpassfreq=16300 -channels 2 -srate 44100
    is simply amazing for stereo audio, and often gives you a lower average than 96 kbit/s (what they use now).
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I am going to mail them about why they choose 96kb/s mono instead of atleast 128kb/s stereo. Not that it will give any results probably, but never shot is always missed. What is the total bitrate, was it around 800kb/s or so?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I found the string "LAME3.97 (beta)" in the header.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's why it probably still sounds reasonable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    so adding "&fmt=6" FORCES OUT the HQ version..but not for all countries am i right?
    Quote Quote  
  16. So there's no difference if you get rid of/add the country prefix in the URL?

Oh, by the way, does anybody think they can help me here? I've uploaded a 480 x 360 FLV (which kept its resolution), but Any Video Converter keeps lying to me about the bitrates I select. I had to go all the way down to 200 KB/s just so I could get it down to 342 KB/s in reality. Is this because of the audio, or is this just the wrong program to use to adjust the bitrate?

Here's the vid:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=x3kd9LbS9LM
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM

I made a comparison to see the difference between the old 'normal' version and the fmt version.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Well, there is a bit of an improvement, but not much. Hopefully we can upload better than that when HQ uploads are enabled.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well you see it is much sharper... and sound quality has improved too. However, the source is quite bad (German colour material from 1944) so it could be better. Now lets hope youtube improves the mp3 bitrate to 128vbr or something.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Indeed, I wouldn't mind if they upped their audio limits a bit.

Back on my question, does anybody know any good converters which you can adjust bitrate besides Any Video Converter?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I use Riva FLV encoder for youtube flvs, and Avidemux for larger movies I have on youtube to get them in XviD. SUPER can handle really much formats, you should try that one!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by SpongeFreak52
    Back on my question, does anybody know any good converters which you can adjust bitrate besides Any Video Converter?
    You can just as easily do what AVC does yourself, improve it for your own niche-preferences.
    I use this line in a .bat file (note that it must all be on one line):
    In this change your prefs and of course the source video etc.
    You can even use the mencoder.exe that came with AVC for this, or get a later win32 compile of mencoder.

Originally Posted by reez
    so adding "&fmt=6" FORCES OUT the HQ version..but not for all countries am i right?
    No, it forces the HQ version everywhere (if there IS one available). The difference is, YouTube only serves it by default to specific IP-ranges (is my deduction of the issues). It does not seem related to a bandwidth check of some sort, since the HQ versions stream in just fine here..

Well, it's in there, but down from the header. An encoder guess of the mp3 audio of your NSFW vid is not coming up with lame. Either way, they should go with vbr. That way, if people upload mono audio, it can go down to ~64 kbit/s easily.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Denizzje
    If a video hasn't been converted yet, it will keep loading 'forever', doesn't it?
    LOL, they're reading here alright Welcome YouTube/Google techs! They've just changed that into bypassing to the old quality if the HQ is not available. Good going YouTube. We love you!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This video is a good example of the upgrade. This is not my channel btw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOUuSFQjGaA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOUuSFQjGaA&fmt=6

The fast motion in the original made some parts unwatchable but add &fmt=6 and the extra bit rate and different screen size has made it sharp and watchable, this is great for people who have uploaded good wmv's that have been ruined by youtube's low bit rate. Does the higher bit rate address for the video work automatically for some areas then? Also, is this being introduced as standard because I'll have to go back to wmv's. Hopefully its possible to have top sound quality like a bypassed flv.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bayme
    If a video hasn't been converted yet, it will keep loading 'forever', doesn't it?
    LOL, they're reading here alright Welcome YouTube/Google techs! They've just changed that into bypassing to the old quality if the HQ is not available. Good going YouTube. We love you!
    Still gives an eternal black screen for vids that doesn't have HQ to me. :/

Just wanted to let you guys know that DivX AVI 640 x 480 gets converted as well, up until the 5th HQ video for me at least. WMVs on the other hand I never had any luck with, so I doubt the HQ vids are exclusive to WMVs only. At the moment YT stopped re-encoding my new vids, regardless of the video format and resolution (still pondering why...).
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well my videos still keep loading untill the cows come home. Ah well, I hope they do read here. And thus improve the sound to stereo with a variable bitrate, with around 128kb/s or more and I will be really happy . I would enjoy Youtube much more when a nice stereo sound comes out of my speakers .

Still gives an eternal black screen for vids that doesn't have HQ to me. hmm.gif

Just wanted to let you guys know that DivX AVI 640 x 480 gets converted as well, up until the 5th HQ video for me at least. WMVs on the other hand I never had any luck with, so I doubt the HQ vids are exclusive to WMVs only. At the moment YT stopped re-encoding my new vids, regardless of the video format and resolution (still pondering why...).
    At the moment, 4 of my 46 videos are converted, all of them WMVs. My XviD and H.264 videos are still untouched. And I hope they will start switching again soon .
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by wonderpierrot
    Still gives an eternal black screen for vids that doesn't have HQ to me. :/
    Weird, they no longer pass them through to the old one, and now again remain at the loading circle for me too..
    But honestly, they've updated some config the last 24 hours. May depend on clearing your browser-cache.

Originally Posted by wonderpierrot
    Well, they do have 140 million videos to convert. There might be some pattern in how they go about doing this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wonderpierrot
    Well, they do have 140 million videos to convert. There might be some pattern in how they go about doing this.
    That's likely, I just find it strange how they used to convert my videos almost instantly on every video up until the 6th one.

I'll just await and see how things progress then, hopefully they'll be converting my videos eventually and I'm not eternally stuck with crappy low quality videos.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I uploaded a wmv tonight and it was converted to high quality in a couple hours.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGFx9WtYWaY&fmt=6
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    None of mine got converted, 640x480 xvids or flvs. While I know someone whom got all his videos converted.

I also get the black loading screen when no HQ version exists.

But I seriously doubt they'll convert to stereo. Simply for the copyright problems. Sure, there are a lot being broken now, but they are in mono. If they convert to HQ stereo, YT will be used as a music trading ground. Which will gather attention of the music industry, forcing a lot of headaches with both users and YT, and having to constantly suspend accounts.

I also bet when they get this finalized, they will add a force HQ option in the user settings.
    Quote Quote