VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey guys,
    a bit confused do all minidv's are the same in analog recording resolution?
    i have a bullet cam of 420 tv lines resolution and i want to hook it up with mini dv and i want the best possible
    resolution captures
    and i have to choose with these two mini dv's:

1) sony dcr pc 55, 500 tv lines
    2) canon zr 200, 520 lines

which one captures the best resolution? and why?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Doesn't matter, as the output will be 720 x 480 or 720 x 576 depending on the camera format (NTSC or PAL)
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what if i use it in tv program? it doesnt matter?btw i use pal minidv
    Quote Quote  
  4. The lines of resolution has nothing to do with the number of horizontal lines that make up the image.

Crudely (and confusingly) it is more like the number of vertical lines that can be clearly distinguished before becoming a blurred, grey mess. Hence, it is how "sharp" the video is in the horizontal direction.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Another way of saying it is 720x576 will be over sampling the analog input which doesn't add actual resolution to the picture but assures you are capturing what resolution is there. To max video quality (e.g. signal to noise ratio) one would low pass filter the analog input to just above the point where perceived "lines of resolution" drops. This would minimize capture of high frequency noise.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i read some columns in a tech magazine about recording a tv program to mini dv and they mention that the recorded program is better than the original b/c mini dv's optimize color reproduction to make better-looking images., is that true?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nivek_nayr
    i read some columns in a tech magazine about recording a tv program to mini dv and they mention that the recorded program is better than the original b/c mini dv's optimize color reproduction to make better-looking images., is that true?
    Not that I've seen. DV camcorder analog pass through does some time base correction for VHS but the idea is to record color as it is presented.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote