VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I am new to the forum and not very good with technical computer jargon so please bear with me. We have recently bought an Easycap USB 2,0 video adaptor with audio to capture the VHS video from our Panasonic camcorder. It was intended for use on our new media centre which is run by Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit. According to the Easycap packaging it is Vista compliant. We have tried it and everything works fine apart from the sound. When we capture the video the picture is fine but the sound is very distorted. We tried it on our other PC which is run with Windows XP and the picture and sound is ok. The only difference we can see is when we capture the video using Windows Vista the audio input source only offers "master volume" as a choice. On Windows XP the audio input source is Realtek. Does anyone have any idea what we are doing wrong and how we can correct it. We would like to burn our videos to disk but the PC on which the USB capture thing works does not have a DVD rewriter and the PC on which the sound is distorted run by Windows Vista does!!

I hope this all makes sense. Thanks
    Jenny
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings,

First off I would suggest to make sure you are plugging the audio into the Audio In or Line in jack and not the microphone one. Sounds like you may be doing that alright with the XP computer.

Sometimes the volume sliders are hidden by default. Been awhile since I used Vista but you should be able to go into the audio device properties settings / options / advanced (something like that) for sound Playback and Recording. Go through the different ones and check the boxes to show the different volume controls you need. You are basically looking for Line In Volume or Mixer or whatever Vista has decided to call it. Record mode is where you want to look. You may have to dig a bit to find the setting you need.

The Vista trial demo I used tried to auto adjust the levels for each audio device used and it sounds like it has your audio in at too high a setting. So is distorting / clipping. You may have to really lower the slider. For my capturing I have it down near the first mark to the bottom. I believe there is a way to turn off the auto part for some devices. The joys of software trying to read our minds and do everything for us automatically, hehe.

If worse comes to worse you could always swap the burner to the XP machine that is letting you capture properly. Might void warranty on your new machine doing that. Or if both computers are hooked up via LAN you could capture on one and transfer to the other other the LAN / home network. An inconvience I know, but sometimes we have to think crafty. Good luck.

Cheers,
    Rick
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Eric544
    Hi, I am new to the forum and not very good with technical computer jargon so please bear with me. We have recently bought an Easycap USB 2,0 video adaptor with audio to capture the VHS video from our Panasonic camcorder. It was intended for use on our new media centre which is run by Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit. According to the Easycap packaging it is Vista compliant. We have tried it and everything works fine apart from the sound. When we capture the video the picture is fine but the sound is very distorted. We tried it on our other PC which is run with Windows XP and the picture and sound is ok. The only difference we can see is when we capture the video using Windows Vista the audio input source only offers "master volume" as a choice. On Windows XP the audio input source is Realtek. Does anyone have any idea what we are doing wrong and how we can correct it. We would like to burn our videos to disk but the PC on which the USB capture thing works does not have a DVD rewriter and the PC on which the sound is distorted run by Windows Vista does!!

I hope this all makes sense. Thanks
    Jenny
    This should be a question for Easycap USB 2,0 tech support but try this.

Right click on the speaker icon and select "Recording Devices". See if your capture card is there.

If you double click on the device or right click "Properties" you may see a level control like this.

Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to everyone who replied. The problem is now sorted. We thought we had set the audio input default to the Easycap device but when we looked again it hadn't set as the default. It works fine now.

Many thanks for your help.

Jenny
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Hi, How do you set the audio input default to the easycap device?
    please help I have spent hours searching the web, and you seem to have found the answer I need.
    Quote Quote