VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all, hope someone here can take the time to help me out.

I have been using Ashampoo DVD burner program to burn .avi files as data files and has been woring great for me for months. Now, when I try to burn a data disc on a blank DVD -RW that has worked countless times before, an error comes up saying that "there is not enough room on the DVD". The DVD is brand new with nothing on it. I tried using another disc, even using a different brand of blank DVD with the same error coming up. It's weird because I have done this many times before with no problemns whatsoever. I rebooted, tried nero and that came up with the same error. The problem started when I tried to use a new batch of Memorex DVD -RW, so I tried using an old Sony DVD -RW and the same error occured. There i splanty of room on my hard drive for the temp folder. I would like to keep using Ashampoo as I am faimilar with the program. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cory.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would first try another burning tool like imgburn to rule out that it's something wrong with ashampoo.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    1) We don't recommend Ashampoo. Good luck finding someone here who uses it. We recommend ImgBurn but if you must do so for data discs only, you could use Nero.
    2) Your DVD-RW discs might just be going bad. It happens. My experience is that they don't last as long as they are supposed to.
    3) Your DVD writer could be going bad.

Um, you do know that if you write to DVD+RW or DVD-RW that they aren't meant for permanent storage, right? Anything written to DVD+-RW may be completely unusable as early as 1 year after you write it. However long it lasts, it won't be as long as with DVD+R/DVD-R discs.

Memorex discs suck! I'm not a fan at all of DVD-RW (I strongly prefer DVD+RW), but if you must use them, I'd advise using Verbatim. Sony is hit or miss and you are just as likely to get absolute crap from their discs as high quality ones. It all depends on who actually made the discs.
    http://www.nomorecoasters.com
    might be of interest to you in learning about media quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Don't discount your burner going bad either.

I heartily agree with all jman says, but I'd really question that burner. For it not to even recognize a disc means to me that the media is beyond sorry or your burner's very close to the end of its useful life.

I had a CD burner, in days gone by, that exhibited the exact same symptoms. Worked fine and suddenly didn't recognize the media anymore. Twenty Nine dollars and Ninety Five cents later, I was back in business. Of course, getting there was a biotch. I experimented with different media, uninstalled and reinstalled software - basically did everything I could think to do, besides going to the store and plunking down a miniscule amount of money for a new burner. So, I pissed away hours and hours when 30 minutes (including drive time) would have done just fine.
    Quote Quote